FreeSolo

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have not seen it yet but intend to watch it.. athletically that is some amazing stuff. Man has to have one heck of a set to even think that might be a idea worth trying.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Anybody watch it? That's some sketchy stuff. It will take me a hour to wind down after watching it.

I did. Watching that last twenty minutes was as tough as having a gobbler hang up just out of range. I'm still trying to wind down too.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hard core mind over matter there,,,,takes a strong mind (and body) to do that

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
The sad thing is HE will die doing it if he continues. He has to be 100% perfect every time and nobody is perfect.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The sad thing is HE will die doing it if he continues. He has to be 100% perfect every time and nobody is perfect.
I don't think it is sad at all. Very few of us will get the opportunity to leave this world doing the thing we enjoy most. It is only sad for the ones left behind.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't think it is sad at all. Very few of us will get the opportunity to leave this world doing the thing we enjoy most. It is only sad for the ones left behind.

stand up applause for that one,,,,,
]
I lost many a friend who knowingly stepped into situations that they KNEW they would not live through,,,,

mind over matter,,,,

Ambush

Twelve Pointer

Well, I still think it will be a sad day. But, when speaking with his girlfriend about a fellow climber’s death and how his wife must feel, Alex said “What did she expect?”. For sure, after the first 30’ he won’t have to worry about a possible life long injury, like falling out of a deer stand. Free Solo is all or nothing.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Incredible. I had hoped it would come nearby in IMAX but it never did so I got it on Amazon. For those who don't have access to it. - Check out his free solo of Half Dome on youtube covered by 60 minutes.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Well, I still think it will be a sad day. But, when speaking with his girlfriend about a fellow climber’s death and how his wife must feel, Alex said “What did she expect?”. For sure, after the first 30’ he won’t have to worry about a possible life long injury, like falling out of a deer stand. Free Solo is all or nothing.
Thats right I think in one part he said something like if he fell his body would just explode.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Watched it last night. I thought it was a pretty good documentary but anyone who does that is not thinking about the people around them who love them. Taking calculated risk is one thing but I don't agree with putting your life on the line for pleasure. To me its no different than playing Russian Roulette.
I used to climb a lot when younger. For kids coming up in any sport the top dog is always a role model to look up to. How many of the younger generation will try stunts like this to make a name for themselves?

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Watched it last night. I thought it was a pretty good documentary but anyone who does that is not thinking about the people around them who love them. Taking calculated risk is one thing but I don't agree with putting your life on the line for pleasure. To me its no different than playing Russian Roulette.
I used to climb a lot when younger. For kids coming up in any sport the top dog is always a role model to look up to. How many of the younger generation will try stunts like this to make a name for themselves?
I agree Quackman, absolutley not worth risking your life over,pleasure is the ultimate goal in what you are doing ,but stupidity is something else.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I certainly admire anyone that does something that difficult, that well. As an amateur student of human nature however, I couldn't help but take note of the intimations he expressed about life and death. I think he's looking for the meaning and purpose of life in his climbing endeavors, but I'm afraid he will never find it there. I hope he figures it all out before it's too late.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I certainly admire anyone that does something that difficult, that well. As an amateur student of human nature however, I couldn't help but take note of the intimations he expressed about life and death. I think he's looking for the meaning and purpose of life in his climbing endeavors, but I'm afraid he will never find it there. I hope he figures it all out before it's too late.
Chasing a high in that kind of sport is extremely risky with almost no minute of error between you and death. I agree, his purpose of life could be much more meaningful.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems to be a pretty "progressive' opinion; to think anyone other than him is better to determine meaning and purpose in his life, don't ya think?
He has to determine his purpose in life, but no-one's meaning or purpose in life is to kill themselves climbing a rock.

double

Twelve Pointer
He has to determine his purpose in life, but no-one's meaning or purpose in life is to kill themselves climbing a rock.

We will never know another’s purpose. You say no ones purpose is dying climbing a rock but his death may inspire someone to do something great. Only one entity can for certain know the mans purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We will never know another’s purpose. You say no ones purpose is dying climbing a rock but his death may inspire someone to do something great. Only one entity can for certain know the mans purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure that purpose and destiny are interchangeable, but philosophy was never my strong point.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I had never heard of the guy but I watched a couple brief vids and it gives me the willies big time! I cannot even imagine doing that. I wish the guy the best....and hope he never falls.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I read about it and saw a piece on the team that filmed him. I put this guy in the category with people that "live" with lions, or bears or big snakes or whatever. Every now and then you hear about one being killed and/or eaten by their friends. Or the guy who cut his own arm off when a rock fell on him. We'll probably hear about this guy falling to his death while trying to climb some more difficult hill. But hey, it's his life so let him do what he wants as long as he doesn't harm anyone else. Me, I use a safety belt when using my climbing stand.