Roanoke Rapids Lake waterfowl hunti ng bill- HB 80

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
The proposed law...

"it shall be unlawful to place or leave unoccupied any equipment or vessels that may be used for the purpose of taking migratory waterfowl, including, but not limited to, mobile or temporary blinds, layout boats, and decoys, prior to 4:00 A.M. each day. All such equipment and unoccupied vessels must be removed by two hours after sunset each day unless they remain on a portion of the shoreline or attached to a dock as authorized by the owner of the shoreline or dock."

My personal opinion...

Public water should be public water. I've seen his operation at work on Harris and Gaston. I have no problem with what he does if he did it on private property, but to occupy public water for the entirety of the season is being a pig.
Already have the workaround for the law as written and he can do the same thing .... I'll leave it to your imaginination but have seen it done in ark.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
@Buxndiverdux lol neither am I but I did learn working on race cars if it ain't against the rules its legal until its in the rules. I am constantly amazed at the inventiveness of people gaming the system. One word unoccupied... you pay some kid $50 a night to stay on the pontoon pull him off at 5 am when u drop your "clients" off. Meets the requirements as written of having unoccupied boat not docked imo.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
@Buxndiverdux lol neither am I but I did learn working on race cars if it ain't against the rules its legal until its in the rules. I am constantly amazed at the inventiveness of people gaming the system. One word unoccupied... you pay some kid $50 a night to stay on the pontoon pull him off at 5 am when u drop your "clients" off. Meets the requirements as written of having unoccupied boat not docked imo.

I think the rule as written has that covered on RR Lake based on where he hunts.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I think the rule as written has that covered on RR Lake based on where he hunts.
You have my curiosity up now. How do you think it's covered? Paraphrasing but It's says it's not legal to place or leave unoccupied any vesssel capable of hunting from ... so I would read if a pontoon blind is occupied OR I park my 30 foot houseboat and replace it with my pontoon boat at 430. A lot of trouble but if the guy is making 1200 a day from duck commandersthen who knows?
Don't know the guy but I used to hunt with an nc game warden in Gaston and RR when the law said u couldn't hunt over bait and the modus operandi then was to bait the hell out of a point with a blue jug 400 yaRds from where you hunted then the drag the jug down to your point that am and mash em. Law now says no hunting with aid of bait with no restriction as to distance according to the Feds .

Been a long time lurker here and was always curious about your handle as in does it mean whitetail bucks and scaup or as in buxton and redheads? Folks I know from the banks always pronounced buxton like buxn anyhow.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
It says with permission of the dock or shoreline owner. Where he hunts, the shoreline is owned by the state.
gotcha I was under the impression he "anchored" off the shoreline, not tied up on the bank. I will say in Hyde where a friend owns marsh shoreline, the difference between hunting our blinds on posted private property and anchoring your boat in front on public property is about 3 feet.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
gotcha I was under the impression he "anchored" off the shoreline, not tied up on the bank. I will say in Hyde where a friend owns marsh shoreline, the difference between hunting our blinds on posted private property and anchoring your boat in front on public property is about 3 feet.

I've seen him do both. Personally, I don't think that law is very well written. And the only way to know for sure is to test it in court. So I expect it will be worth it to him.

The law should say... It shall be illegal to leave (unoccupied or occupied) decoys, blinds, boats, and any other waterfowl related equipment on public water during open waterfowl seasons from 3 hours after sunset to 3 hours before sunrise. All equipment must be removed daily.

And I don't have any connections to Buxton except for a few friends. Handle is just what I enjoyed chasing at the time.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I've seen him do both. Personally, I don't think that law is very well written. And the only way to know for sure is to test it in court. So I expect it will be worth it to him.

The law should say... It shall be illegal to leave (unoccupied or occupied) decoys, blinds, boats, and any other waterfowl related equipment on public water during open waterfowl seasons from 3 hours after sunset to 3 hours before sunrise. All equipment must be removed daily.

And I don't have any connections to Buxton except for a few friends. Handle is just what I enjoyed chasing at the time.
I agree and I guess that was my point in my original response. Terribly written to accomplish what I perceived as a complaint by some well connected donors to some NC Rep. from RR. Don't know if that's the history or not but otherwise it would be a proposed statewide rule IMO. Kind of reminds me of the blind rules in Currituck.

Gmac

Button Buck
Read it again, PRIOR to 4 am, AFTER 4am any equipment or vessel can then be left unoccupied, don't know why anyone would after 4am but PRIOR to 4am you'll be breaking the law by even being out there with intent to hunt basically. gonna be a show to see at the boat ramps

Gmac

Button Buck
to "place" or "leave" prior to 4am

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Don't know how many of you were hunting this piece of water in the 80'S.... It was phenomenal! Limits of Greenheads and Black Ducks by 7:30 most mornings.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Don't know how many of you were hunting this piece of water in the 80'S.... It was phenomenal! Limits of Greenheads and Black Ducks by 7:30 most mornings.
I was and it was! Still have a friend with blinds in Gaston. When they killed the hydrilla and introduced grass carp it aint worth getting out bed for two ringnecks…

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Deer hunting now is much better than when I was a boy.
So is turkey hunting.

all a matter of perpective,,,,I agree with you,,,,but so many posts on the web lament that poor turkey/deer/duck hunting in certain locales is due to lower game numbers (Caswell for turkeys for example),,,,,

duck numbers continent wide are higher than they were in the 70s and 80s but to hear this thread,,,they numbers are plunging,,,,and it was better "back when",,

thus my tongue in cheek comment about yesteryear,,,,

kahunter

Eight Pointer
My dad said last year (2017-18) was the best 3 weeks of duck hunting he has ever had when it was really cold. hers been hunting 60 years and has killed alot of ducks. Its all a matter of persective.

Steelshot Scott

It appears it is bottled up and is going nowhere. That is the problem every time we try to take on people that are monopolizing public water, lack of participation by the majority on our side. The main sticking point seems to be that there is no way to make it illegal to anchor a boat in the lake and leave it there.