winter weather 2.0

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
There is a chance of a quick burst if snow tuesday night. It is gonna be anafrontal precip with crashing temps. As the temps crash it squeezes all the moisture out of the clouds.

The temp drop tomorrow night is gonna be epic.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

Heres the temp map for the frontal.passsage. notice the 57 at fayeteville then 53 at Raleigh and 39 for Greensboro. Real blast of cold air hangs up west of the mountains so even though its gonna be a sharp drop it could have been worse

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190128-093701_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190128-093701_Samsung Internet.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 27

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
wow. with little to no wind on the forecast too, right?

I'm not sure I'll have to check that map and get back with ya. I'm sure there will be wind when the front passes.

EDIT: winds look to be around 20mph with the front then calm. The exception would be the mountains where it looks like winds stay up in the 20s for a few hours.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The front is between Hickory and Asheville right now. Asheville went from 42 to 34 with snow in just 1 hour. The winds will turn NW and gust into the 20s with the front and the temp will crash immediately. You guys out west should start to see it press across the area through the rest of the morning and early afternoon.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This is a wee bit chilly.....

Staples WI last update...thats a -64 wind chill

Fair
-33°F
-36°C
Humidity60%
Wind SpeedNW 18 G 23 mph
Barometer30.14 in
Dewpoint-42°F (-41°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Wind Chill-64°F (-53°C
)Last update29 Jan 8:16 pm CST

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I know some of you were hoping this thread would stay buried but the models are hinting at a chance,...still 8-9 days out but a few models have had it off and on for a few days will be interesting to see how it shakes out....again in this range it could be nothing but the models do seem to want to flip into a more consistent colder pattern by the end of this coming weekend....

\

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
any updates from the weather brothers???

As of right now it seems this storm will be all rain for 99% of folks in NC, maybe some ice and snow up in the mts for a while before changing over to all rain even there...the trend is for it to be just a tad bit to warm, one model still shows snow and ice for the whole state but its been off for a few weeks now with the temps so its probably wrong.....there was some support the last few days from other models but that is backing off so its kinda out there all by itself.....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Models slowly going back cooler for Tues night into Wed morning.....you NW piedmont and Mt folks stand the best chance of something significant but even the Triad/RDU/Greenville and north folks stand a chance of seeing at least snow changing to rain.....

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Hell Ill send yall some of this snow and cold from up here in Boston. Woke up to a good 4 inches or so here this morning. I told my Manager that why cant they get projects down in south Florida or somewhere like that......

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Hell Ill send yall some of this snow and cold from up here in Boston. Woke up to a good 4 inches or so here this morning. I told my Manager that why cant they get projects down in south Florida or somewhere like that......
Careful what you ask for as they might just turn up with a project down there right in the middle of hurricane season! :)

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
NO NO NO, you take that back :oops::LOL:

Yeah......again its 10 days out so we will see but ALL the models show a significant arctic air intrusion and a strong storm in the sub tropical jet and the timing looks good enough that if this all actually happens as modeled there would be a big storm in NC......

Maybe you will luck out, models have been showing this kind of thing off and on for a few weeks now and it hasnt panned out but this is the first time that most all the models show it so that carries more weight.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
What’s the old wives tale about thunder and lightning in the winter? Well it was thundering and lightning here in Mooresville last night.

NC 270

Eight Pointer
It's suppose to frost exactly 3 months to the day after a winter thunder storm. That means May 20 th we'll wake up to a fairly heavy frost.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Well the models are still showing the potential for a really cold and snowy start to March....climo wise this is a tough time to get snow, however historically if we do get snowstorms this time of year they tend to be what we call "big dogs" or at least that is how it seems. I can think of a few smaller March events but they were not really storms more like weak over running/onset type events.