2006 Honda Rincon won't start

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I've been fighting this thing for a while. I took it in to the Sanford Honda dealer about 3 or 4 weeks ago for the same problem. It will crank over, but won't light. I changed out the spark plug and it still wouldn't start. They siphoned out the gas tank and said it had water in it along with other crud. They also replaced the spark plug. It started and I loaded it on the trailer. Went out to start it last weekend and it wouldn't start. I siphoned out the fuel they put in it, filled it with fresh, non-ethanol gas, and it still won't start. As a test, I tried starting my '04 Polaris Sportsman that hasn't been started since last spring and had the same gas in it when I put it away. After a few cranks, it started up and ran smoothly. It's carbureted and the Honda is FI. I'm not sure what the Honda dealer is pulling, but they don't seem to be fixing the problem. Anyone got a recommendation for a shop in the Sanford, Dunn, Erwin, or north Fayetteville area?

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Take the plug out and leave it connected to the plug wire and see if it sparks while you try and start it. If it does spark, spray some starter fluid in the the plug hole., put it back in, and try and start it again. If it is sparking it should at least cough like it wants to start after doing this. If it does try and run with the starter fluid in it, it is something with your fuel delivery (clogged injector?), filter, etc. If it doesn't spark you can kind of isolate it to a few things like the coil, plug wire, battery, or plug. Some engines need a certain amount of strength from the battery to start as well. Try charging the battery. Some motorcycle engines will turn over fine but not start if the battery is weak. Good luck.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is the spark plug wet after trying to start it? If not it's a fuel delivery issue. If you try the starter fluid suggestion go easy it doesn't take much. Also as was said, I've seen more than one motorcycle engine turn over and not start due to not spinning fast enough. Hook jumper cables up and see if that makes a difference.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Spark and fuel are your two things. Do what has been recommended here and you can narrow down your problems. You can also use a straw and put a little gas in the cylinder. Everybody's go to is replacing the plug and it is usually not the problem.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I've had a few hondas over the years that had similar issues. Locate your CDI box and give it a few good taps with a screw driver handle. If it starts after the technical tap, your CDI is on it's way out. Pretty common problem on a lot of older honda stuff

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
It starts with starter fluid - at least as long as it takes to burn that off. I'll have to pull it into the garage and see if I can find the CDI box.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
It starts with starter fluid - at least as long as it takes to burn that off. I'll have to pull it into the garage and see if I can find the CDI box.
If it starts on starting fluid, it's probably not the CDI box. A bad CDI usually means zero spark/zero start. If it starts on starting fluid, I'd look the fuel system and find out why it's not getting fuel

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had a similar issue with my 2006 Harley last week. Come to find out the hp fuel line had somehow worked its way out but still looked connected. Check the almost stupidly simple things first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Switch it on and listen for the fuel pump. It should run for a few seconds. They will not run without the pump supplying fuel to the injector(s).