Face mask

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You could maybe get by without some people face paint which I don't like at all. A birds eyes are its defense you could kill several setting up in spots where you popped him coming ovet a rise or such but if you had wait on him come in or very likely if hens come in first expect to get busted

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Turkey hunting is the only hunting I wear something on my face. Unless it is blowing a gail in the freezing cold duck hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No beard, but I'm African American and dont need face paint per say...so how does my skin tone factor in?

That will help. It will certainly keep the sun from shining off your face as much.

There is a second benefit of a facemask - mosquitoes. I always use a cheap $5 mesh facemask that comes up to your eyebrows and then a hat. It's really easy to keep it around your neck and then pull it up as soon as you need it.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My problem with the face paint was sweat.......you leave the truck looking all camo.......do a turkey hustle down across the woods to get close and wipe the sweat off your face.......and you are shining like a new dime up against that tree........face mask for me.....less clean-up too.

No beard, but I'm African American and dont need face paint per say...so how does my skin tone factor in?

I would wear a face mask. I use the one made by redhead that is loose fitting and spandex material and it is really comfortable. As far as skin tone goes, you would have an advantage over someone like me, who is Irish, but I still think a turkey would make you in the woods. My face shines like a new dime in the sunlight, lol. I am always believed in breaking up the solid color of your face more than what the color of your face is. Turkeys can pick up on that one piece of solid color in a field of broken colors and patterns fairly quick, no matter what the color may be. Just my two cents.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Novice hunter here wondering if I need a face mask when I go Turkey hunting.
Is there a reason you don't want one? I know glasses fogging can be pain for me but I'm believer in using one way to many times I've been surrounded by hens till gobbler gave clean shot. You don't always have time to make geeatest hide setup when they surprise you

Is there a reason you don't want one? I know glasses fogging can be pain for me but I'm believer in using one way to many times I've been surrounded by hens till gobbler gave clean shot. You don't always have time to make geeatest hide setup when they surprise you

I have glasses too and the fogging is horrible. I bought the Redhead spandex face mask from Cabela's because I wanted a solid mask instead of a mesh one and it has been awesome. The entire eye slot has a bendable wire in it so I can mold it around my face and it has helped a lot with fogging because it forces my breath down to get out instead of up and into my glasses.

Gunny2professor

Six Pointer
Just looking to see what gear is pretty much must have gear, and I figured I could find out here.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I use the hood of my bug suit as my face mask. It's more comfortable to me, and the mosquitoes are usually pretty bad where i hunt. I don't like face paint and feel like a face mask is almost mandatory where I hunt

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

I have glasses too and the fogging is horrible. I bought the Redhead spandex face mask from Cabela's because I wanted a solid mask instead of a mesh one and it has been awesome. The entire eye slot has a bendable wire in it so I can mold it around my face and it has helped a lot with fogging because it forces my breath down to get out instead of up and into my glasses.

I got hats for us that have kind of a veil, if breaths enough I don’t fog up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah the keeping bugs off is worth repeating nothing worse than absolutely dying to swat skeeter or scratch your face but know you can't move inch without getting busted