Jesus

nontypical

Ten Pointer
The Lord laid it on my heart to say this as his very humble servant. The global warming thread talked alot about science and the earth being millions of years old and on and on. I just wanted to give you guys something to think about and hopefully, maybe there is at least 1 person this will lead to Christ. Even scientists agree that Jesus was real and lived on earth with us. So my point is how amazing, how special he must have been if time as we know it is based off of his life here on earth. BC, AD, the 33+\~ years he was here is like time stood still. Of all the kings and rulers that came before him. He reset the clock. So if you believe in Jesus you believe what the Bible says. And if you believe 1 sentence of the Bible you must believe all of it. Biblically speaking the earth is thousands of years old not millions based on my studies. I’m not looking for a discussion, I just wanted to put a different perspective in some people’s minds that maybe have never heard it. Seek ye the kingdom of God first!

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
The Lord laid it on my heart to say this as his very humble servant. The global warming thread talked alot about science and the earth being millions of years old and on and on. I just wanted to give you guys something to think about and hopefully, maybe there is at least 1 person this will lead to Christ. Even scientists agree that Jesus was real and lived on earth with us. So my point is how amazing, how special he must have been if time as we know it is based off of his life here on earth. BC, AD, the 33+\~ years he was here is like time stood still. Of all the kings and rulers that came before him. He reset the clock. So if you believe in Jesus you believe what the Bible says. And if you believe 1 sentence of the Bible you must believe all of it. Biblically speaking the earth is thousands of years old not millions based on my studies. I’m not looking for a discussion, I just wanted to put a different perspective in some people’s minds that maybe have never heard it. Seek ye the kingdom of God first!

Amen, and His return will cause every knee to bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Scientists estimate that the earth is about 4 billion years old and that the universe was born some 13 to 14 billion years ago. The Bible sets no date for the creation of the universe. In no place does it affirm that the earth is only a few thousand years old. The very first verse in the Bible reads: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” That general statement allows scientists to determine the age of the physical world according to scientific principles. On a more logical note, The Hubble telescope has measured distance to stars in the known universe by calculating light years...that is how many years it would take light to travel the distance between the stars and the telescope. There are stars that are 14 billion light years away. If they didn't exist until a few thousand years ago...how is it possible that we can see them? The "known" universe is said to be expanding, but in reality it is more likely we are just able to see more and more of it because the light form those far away starts is finally reaching a point where telescopes can see it.

Last edited:

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Always an interesting debate. I don't think science and the Bible disagree, I think the interpretation is where folks may disagree. IF the laws of physics are unchanged than I think the scientific evidence shows that the earth is like 13.something billion years old. Now, could God have changed the laws of physics to create everything in a 6 day week as we understand it... sure he is God!

It's not a big deal to me if someone thinks it is 13 billion or roughly 4k years old, I think the real question is not when the universe was created, but who created it. Thanks for sharing your opinion OP, always enjoy hearing opinions on things!!

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Scientists estimate that the earth is about 4 billion years old and that the universe was born some 13 to 14 billion years ago. The Bible sets no date for the creation of the universe. In no place does it affirm that the earth is only a few thousand years old. The very first verse in the Bible reads: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” That general statement allows scientists to determine the age of the physical world according to scientific principles. On a more logical note, The Hubble telescope has measured distance to stars in the known universe by calculating light years...that is how many years it would take light to travel the distance between the starts and the telescope. There are starts that are 14 billion light years away. If they didn't exist until a few thousand years ago...how is it possible that we can see them? The "known" universe is said to be expanding, but in reality it is more likely we are just able to see more and more of it because the light form those far away starts is finally reaching a point where telescopes can see it.
I guess that’s why I titled this thread Jesus. That was really my point. Regardless if when it started or if you believe in Jesus or not, we are in the year 2019 after the death of our Lord. I challenge you to read all the rest that comes after “In the beginning “. See what your opinion is then. Thanks for your response.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I guess that’s why I titled this thread Jesus. That was really my point. Regardless if when it started or if you believe in Jesus or not, we are in the year 2019 after the death of our Lord. I challenge you to read all the rest that comes after “In the beginning “. See what your opinion is then. Thanks for your response.
Just to be clear, I absolutely believe in Jesus. My belief is that the bible does not contradict science (actual proven science...not theories like evolution etc). But an interesting topic for discussion.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I wish I could find the historian that wrote it (maybe Josephus) but there was something like 20 cult leaders claiming to be the Messiah that the Romans Crucified round about the time of Jesus that 99% of us couldn't name today. It's the closest "proof" I have of a matter of faith.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Regardless of anyone's views on the age of the earth, scripture states in several places that God has hidden the truth from the learned and those who are wise in their own eyes. It is my personal belief that God is the author of creation, his word, and the physical laws of the universe. As such, they cannot contradict each other. However, KNOWING that he has intentionally hidden the truth from those who claim great knowledge, I think many of the things science has "proven" just aren't so. We are continually learning that the things we thought we knew only a few years or decades ago are not correct.

Humans have vastly overstated their level of knowledge about and control over God's creation. He plainly states that he has hidden the truth from their sight. I ponder whether God has intentionally blocked man's ability to scientifically prove he exists, lest they boast of their accomplishments and have no need for faith.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Regardless of anyone's views on the age of the earth, scripture states in several places that God has hidden the truth from the learned and those who are wise in their own eyes. It is my personal belief that God is the author of creation, his word, and the physical laws of the universe. As such, they cannot contradict each other. However, KNOWING that he has intentionally hidden the truth from those who claim great knowledge, I think many of the things science has "proven" just aren't so. We are continually learning that the things we thought we knew only a few years or decades ago are not correct.

Humans have vastly overstated their level of knowledge about and control over God's creation. He plainly states that he has hidden the truth from their sight. I ponder whether God has intentionally blocked man's ability to scientifically prove he exists, lest they boast of their accomplishments and have no need for faith.
To God alone be the Glory!

jim67

Eight Pointer
Well, Jesus is real and this is a topic that I have been really interested in. I wasnt always a Christain and just like everybody that went to public school, believed the earth to be billions or millions of years old, after all this is what we were taught. Just like we came from apes. I believe the earth to be between 6-10 thousand years old. And global warming is fake. here is why I believe that. In grade school we were taught another ice age was coming, then the Left started or created another crisis (global warming) this lasted a little while until they realized that the earth was actually cooling? so they had to come up with another name, one that would cover all aspects, and that my friends is "climate change" Now how can anybody argue that the climate changes.

Well, Jesus is real and this is a topic that I have been really interested in. I wasnt always a Christain and just like everybody that went to public school, believed the earth to be billions or millions of years old, after all this is what we were taught. Just like we came from apes. I believe the earth to be between 6-10 thousand years old. And global warming is fake. here is why I believe that. In grade school we were taught another ice age was coming, then the Left started or created another crisis (global warming) this lasted a little while until they realized that the earth was actually cooling? so they had to come up with another name, one that would cover all aspects, and that my friends is "climate change" Now how can anybody argue that the climate changes.
Adam was not an ape hope this helps.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Good point. I had to sit there in my college geology class and learn about how many millions of years old certain rocks were. Even though it went against my beliefs I memorized what the professor wanted me to know. Maybe they are millions of years old, I don't know. Like I said based on my understanding of the Bible, they are probably not.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I hope I can convey this without you thinking I’m arguing with you or trying to disprove anything. I’m a believer as well, though not as well versed in the Bible as most. But if He hides things from those who claim great knowledge, could/does that include those preachers or Christians who are, to put it very simply, know it alls about Him?

I believe our current culture tries to rationalize and humanize God, which is impossible.

And to be clear I am not talking about anyone on the forum

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

The last sentence in your post is exactly what I often think about. Great point

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess I'm what you would call an "earth scientist" but I am also a Christian. I've given a lot of thought on how to sync my scientific knowledge with my Bible knowledge. I've come to the conclusion that they do NOT have to be at odds. The Bible was not written for a historical record so much as a guide book that uses events as examples. I believe much of the Bible was written imperically...in other words, in the simplest understandable form that people of the time could understand. For example, I doubt folks back in the day had any concept of "billions of years", plus time just wasn't the focus of the creation story. It was an account of WHAT God did and WHO He is. So, I believe those 7 days of creations were actually 7 time periods, or epochs, each lasting thousands to millions of years. If you break it down that way, science and the Bible's creation story fit pretty darned well.

Science says all life, including man, began as tiny microbes. The Bible states that man was created from the "dust of the earth". Anybody ever put "dust of the earth" under a microscope? Hmm. Gives you something to think about, doesn't it?

I have other "theories" that merge my understandings as well. Not saying I'm right, or that what anyone else believes is wrong. Simple fact is, we just don't know for sure. What I DO know is, however it happened, I believe God did it...and THAT is the important part to agree on.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
hunthard2, 1 Corinthians 1:26 reads "For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.....verse 27 "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise"....maby some of these know it all you speak of fit here.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Like I said, I am not forcing my opinion on anyone, or I guess it is really not important how old the earth is. All I know is the Lord made it obvious to me that I needed to say what I did. There may be just 1 particular individual that has always been taught to believe the big bang theory or evolution or whatever. They may have never heard a different opinion before. For all I know they could be on their death bed or about to die in a car crash. That is the one I am reaching out to. If you do read this, have you ever thought about how long eternity is. That is the real question!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hope I can convey this without you thinking I’m arguing with you or trying to disprove anything. I’m a believer as well, though not as well versed in the Bible as most. But if He hides things from those who claim great knowledge, could/does that include those preachers or Christians who are, to put it very simply, know it alls about Him?

I believe our current culture tries to rationalize and humanize God, which is impossible.

True wisdom originates in the word of God. If a man places his trust in the word, that comes from a position of humility and faith. They acknowledge God as the ultimate authority. If someone trusts in religion, or if they cherry-pick scripture to fit their agenda, they have put their trust in their own intellect.

That said, scripture is clear that God opposes the proud but exalts the humble. No man should ever think they know all of God. Ditto those who have discovered "new" teaching. Revolutionary teachings are usually distortions of sound doctrine.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
True wisdom originates in the word of God. If a man places his trust in the word, that comes from a position of humility and faith. They acknowledge God as the ultimate authority. If someone trusts in religion, or if they cherry-pick scripture to fit their agenda, they have put their trust in their own intellect.

That said, scripture is clear that God opposes the proud but exalts the humble. No man should ever think they know all of God. Ditto those who have discovered "new" teaching. Revolutionary teachings are usually distortions of sound doctrine.
Well said. Thank you!

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Curious what you mean by new teaching? The growing in popularity churches that essentially just teach tolerance or denominations that branch from or have differing interpretations of scripture (ie baptist, Methodist, Calvinist, etc)?

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
If I’ve learned anything in all that I’ve done, seen, and heard on this earth it all comes down to this. At the end of your life all that really matters is whether or not you know Jesus Christ as your Savior. Everything else will fade away but belief in Him will guarantee where you spend eternity.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
If you add up the dates from Adam to Noah it is 8575 yrs according to King James version of the Bible,do not see where the 4000 B.C. yrs before Christ was arrived from in this article.
Honestly I don't really get that far into the details about it. I actually just finished reading the Bible last week (King James) paper copy. I have been reading a few pages most days of the week for the last few years from start to finish. I downloaded the app on my phone and started right back over last week at the beginning but this time in the NIV version. To your point, in my mind based on my understanding I was guessing that from creation to Jesus was somewhere in the tens of thousands of years. The important thing to me is that no matter how many years come before Jesus, we are in the year 2019 after his death. What kind of man he must have been. The Bible said something to the effect that there wasn't enough pages in the entire book to write about all the miracles he did, but the miracles that are wrote about were amazing!

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Very true nontypical, I believe tens of thousands of years probably, and 2019 since Jesus, so the word million of years not even in the Bible. Man has no concept how long even one million years is, and how we continue to believe these stories that man has come up with as to how old this universe,Earth, the stars, moon, etc. is when only God knows and we will never know. You just must believe and have the faith in what he said and that is the only thing that man must do if he wants to spend eternity in a place where you will not be in torment forever and forever.