Turkey Shotgun Suggestions For an 8 Y.O.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Looking to buy my boy a shotgun for turkey. Been Looking at the Mossberg Bantam and Rossi Tuffy but it has a modified choke. Any suggestions, any for sale in the Winston area?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Mossberg Super Bantam 20 gauge with AR stock adapter. All the way in it is about 10" LOP. My almost 5 year old can hold it fine. Going to load up some 3/4 oz TSS loads.
7bafc9fc7c8837e599ee38f5c5808de4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am trying the Mossberg bantam .410 with TSS. Fixed IC choke so we will just have to see how it patterns and what the range will be. 20 ga would be a better load but we are going to take it slow with the recoil. If we can get a decent 30 yard pattern I’ll be satisfied.

I am a firm believer that the gun needs to fit them well.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I agree. My son is right handed but left eye dominant and doesnt do well with iron sights. I will attach a red dot until we can get him shooting lefty or figure something else out.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I am trying the Mossberg bantam .410 with TSS. Fixed IC choke so we will just have to see how it patterns and what the range will be. 20 ga would be a better load but we are going to take it slow with the recoil. If we can get a decent 30 yard pattern I’ll be satisfied.

That IC has me stumped. I can see where they offer a modified. Hope the pattern does well for you. If not maybe get it threaded and have the option of various chokes. I would certainly want a full for turkey. Good on you for trying to get one that fits. Best way to develop good habits. Too many go with whatever they find.

I just bought my son a Hatfield Single Shot .410 and we are going to load it up with TSS. This will be his first year turkey hunting and if he likes it, which I know he will, we are going to buy him a 20 gauge and pass the .410 down to his little brother. We are going this Saturday to pattern his .410 so I'll have a better idea of how well it is going to work this Sunday. I bought it for $119 so we will find some way to get our money out of it, lol.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That IC has me stumped. I can see where they offer a modified. Hope the pattern does well for you. If not maybe get it threaded and have the option of various chokes. I would certainly want a full for turkey. Good on you for trying to get one that fits. Best way to develop good habits. Too many go with whatever they find.

You are correct. It is a modified. I misremembered.?. Typing faster than I was thinking.

This one is the 510 mini super bantam.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Mossberg Super Bantam .410. Deadly inside 40 yds with TSS. Also, if they can shoot a red Ryder, they can shoulder this gun.

Attachments

• 1B5E4A2F-7078-40C6-9E01-EA7B54054F13.jpeg
    1B5E4A2F-7078-40C6-9E01-EA7B54054F13.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 34

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
I just bought my son a Hatfield Single Shot .410 and we are going to load it up with TSS. This will be his first year turkey hunting and if he likes it, which I know he will, we are going to buy him a 20 gauge and pass the .410 down to his little brother. We are going this Saturday to pattern his .410 so I'll have a better idea of how well it is going to work this Sunday. I bought it for $119 so we will find some way to get our money out of it, lol.

Look on YouTube to see how to soften the trigger. Extremely stiff. Also, I would recommend putting a truglo type sight. If yours is like mine, the hammer will block the ventilated rib leading to the bead. I do like the safety feature for youth.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Amazing how times have changed.. .410s are expensive and quality ones hard to come by it seems

Just recently bought my daughter a new Iver Johnson fold up .410 (18.5” Barrel) Youth Model with wood stock and still had to cut over 1” off stock to fit her well. But Im very pleased with it.

Look on YouTube to see how to soften the trigger. Extremely stiff. Also, I would recommend putting a truglo type sight. If yours is like mine, the hammer will block the ventilated rib leading to the bead. I do like the safety feature for youth.
I will definitely check that out. The trigger is rather stiff on this gun. Thank you.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You will be pleasantly surprised. I have one that patterns great to 35 yards with Fed tss. Good luck to the kids

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
Mossberg Super Bantam 20 gauge with AR stock adapter. All the way in it is about 10" LOP. My almost 5 year old can hold it fine. Going to load up some 3/4 oz TSS loads.
7bafc9fc7c8837e599ee38f5c5808de4.jpg

Can a nearly 5 yr old handle the recoil of the 20 with that AR stock? Only asking because I have many 870 12ga with that style stock and only one with a built in buffer system didn’t kick the piss out of me when shot with all types of loads. Not bashing just curious.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
I started my daughter out at 9 with a Jaguar crossbow (cheap China brand) it’s really small and fit her really well. The little red dot and 125gr broadheads make a perfect gobbler getter. She’s nasty accurate out to 25yds. She likes it so much she won’t give it up for a shotgun because she’s more comfortable aiming for the body. She’s 10 now and I hope we can get one in range this year. We’ve been close couple times but they would stop just short of that 25 yd marker. One things for sure the arrows that come with it are NO good!!

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Bringing this back to life.

I bought a Rossi Tuffy Turkey for my 8yo son a couple of days ago. I haven't shot it yet, but it came with an x-full and mod choke and the stock has a spacer to adjust to fit kids.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A local shop to me has a Stevens 301T .410 turkey in stock. They include a red dot rail and an extra full extended turkey choke. $199

deepbreath

Six Pointer
I just bought my grandson (6) the Stevens 301 in a .410
He loves it and took his first turkey last weekend in sc. Great little gun with a screw in choke.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Can a nearly 5 yr old handle the recoil of the 20 with that AR stock? Only asking because I have many 870 12ga with that style stock and only one with a built in buffer system didn’t kick the piss out of me when shot with all types of loads. Not bashing just curious.

I’ve seen him shoot it at 40 yards. Dead turkey and he’s asking for more. He’s not really a typical almost 5 year old though... but he’s that size for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
To be honest, no and definitely not with full power 20 gauge loads. Not trying to sound like I am bragging or anything cause I am not but he will be 6 april 9th, not the typical 5 year old from a maturity level and I was very cautious about letting him shoot it but after he watched me shoot it and seeing the recoil he was dead set to give it a try. He shoots Fioochi 3/4 oz loads at 1150 fps to practice and it rocks him pretty good to be honest but no more than my 410 O/U would with the 7/8 oz load. The biggest thing is the LOP fits him and he can work the safety by himself with no issues which is a must as I will not help him shoot other than verbal coaching. I also dont let him shoot back to back shots practicing and he shoots his 22 in between and so far no flinch issues.

With any luck I will post a video of his first turkey first week of April.