winter weather 2.0

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Negative but I have property and family up there and I was supposed to be up there this weekend but it got postponed. The last "good one" they got was 2 winters ago. 35 inches at my mom's place, she was worried her deck might collapse from the weight. It was the ONLY time their McDonalds was closed in over 15 years.

And about the 10 days out thing, I think Conman here and lots of weather guru's predicted super storm Sandy 9-10 days before landfall.

Got some friends in the Finger Lakes. The media gets people little crazy with 24 hour news these days. My buddies are kind of laughing acting like NY has never got snow before. We were an hour away playing a hockey game in Ithaca when blizzard of 93 started. Parents stopped for a few beers and burgers heading home after game, lol.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
The high tomorrow will struggle to get out of the 20's for most places with winds gusting into the 20-30 mph range so its going to be a huge difference from yesterday and this morning.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Wind crazy here right now felt it moving my truck while ago getting colder as well. Stoke them fires up tonight

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
so my phone has a snow icon for next Monday. is it a blizzard? :)

Models are still having trouble at that range but there is probably going to be a storm, the track, how much cold is around etc etc to be determined but it seems likely that some if not a fairly large portion of NC will experience winter weather.....again it could be a little for some and a lot for others its just to hard to pin down yet.

Also Wed morning could be a sleeper event in central and western NC as some light precip could over ride what will by then be a rotting cold air mass that is peaking today.....if the timing is right and the precip heavy enough it would be falling on frozen ground/roads and even a light amount could be very bad news.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
They must be planning on a fair ammount of icing tonight. All the schools in my area (alexander, caldwell, burke) have already called a 3 hour delay for tomorrow morning....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
After mid next week there will at least 7-10 days or more of cold and the models have several storms impacting NC at one level or another, at this range though they move around in timing and intensity but the overall general look is slowly coming together.....winter isnt done with us by a long shot.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Looking icey for morning till after daylight

Yeah some light freezing rain out west but it will be short lived for the most part, still with the last few days being so cold it wont take much, good news is it warms up to the mid 40's at least for most so what little freezes will melt....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very icey here in northern Forsyth county..y'all be very careful this morning until it warms up.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Welp, the cold got me. Tenant called me this morning to tell me a pipe in my Mom's garage had burst recently and the entire garage had six inches of water in it. Apparently when it got to 5 below up there recently, even with the heat venting down from above it couldn't compete. Now waiting to see what all is lost :(.

Adding that to the fact that my toilet tank leaked one day this weekend while we were out, all over my floor, THEN my hot water heater started leaking from the top, had to replace it and probably the carpet around it.

I'm REALLY starting to despise water! :mad:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Downeastnc ; please put up another long range blizzard map.
hopefully it will be as wrong as that last one.
do this all winter please. :)
And miss them all.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Downeastnc ; please put up another long range blizzard map.
hopefully it will be as wrong as that last one.
do this all winter please. :)
And miss them all.

hehe its coming the pattern change is still settling down in the models.....us eastern NC folks are just missing a decent hit later this weekend as the models are keeping the storm far enough east to not impact us....if that low were to be 150 miles further east the eastern NC folks could get some snow.....the models had it a week ago but it has trended offshore but has gotten a bit closer the last few runs.....there will be plenty of chances for everyone the next few weeks....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
NAM really shifted west with precip and the globals are all getting there as well......would not be surprised at all for this to trend to a snowy day for eastern NC.....maybe not a accumulations given boundry layer temp issues but still chances of seeing snow appear to be going up.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The models are sharpening the trough and bringing the storm closer to the coast monday

Last edited:

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Models starting to pick up on the Monday evening chance of some snow in the east.....still very much in question but the trend is to higher chances of actually seeing snow....still most of the the global models don't have it but then again they usually are the last ones to get a clue in these setups....
sn10_012h_us_ma.png