fishing North West river by Moyock

gi53

Button Buck
I was wondering if any has fished catfish or perch on the river in the winter months? I want to fish it this winter, any help would be great!

VAhunter

Button Buck
I've been fishing it the last 20 years. I mainly target perch and crappie, but have fished for catfish quite a bit also. What kind of questions do you have?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I have fished it for years but it was during the summer months...We would stay in Corolla and I would put in at Currituck Light, cross the sound, scoot through Parkers Creek to Coinjock and go from there...We would catch bass, white perch, raccoon perch, crappie, puppy drum and of course bream...Beautiful piece of water that is under fished...

gi53

Button Buck
I've been fishing it the last 20 years. I mainly target perch and crappie, but have fished for catfish quite a bit also. What kind of questions do you have?
do the cat fish bite good doing winter months? can you use jugs? Any info would be great!

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I have fished it for years but it was during the summer months...We would stay in Corolla and I would put in at Currituck Light, cross the sound, scoot through Parkers Creek to Coinjock and go from there...We would catch bass, white perch, raccoon perch, crappie, puppy drum and of course bream...Beautiful piece of water that is under fished...
That is North River, he is asking about Northwest River.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
That is North River, he is asking about Northwest River.

Dang if it isn't!! :)

I used to date a girl in Shawboro, and called on Fred Jackson when he had the Deere dealership there...I walked in one day and a fellow had brought him some of the pretties speckled perch you would ever want to see caught out of the Northwest River...Beautiful country...

VAhunter

Button Buck
do the cat fish bite good doing winter months? can you use jugs? Any info would be great!
Yes. That's when the biggest blues are always caught. I don't see why you can't use jugs, but I don't see many guys using them in the winter. The river can be loaded with jugs in the summer. Everyone I see catfishing in the winter is using poles baited with large baits. The cast and wait game. Generally, I find my fish in at least 10 feet of water. Personally, I've tried all the deepest parts of the river in the winter and haven't done a thing. I figured with the coldest water of the year the fish would stack up in river bends in the deepest areas, but I can't get bit in those spots. Fresh shad is the best bait if you can get some.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
about a mile up nw river just before you get to the house on right that bend is about 25 ft deep and holds some nice cats ...anywhere from there up to next bend has a sandy bottom along shore on house side last 4 to 5 yaers noodlers or jug fishers have hurt the population a bit but they are still there .. ive seen a few 50 pounders come out of there.or go across sound to causeway ditch it has strong current and hard to fish but thats the only place i fished last couple of years use carolina rig large bait but anything this time of year will be slow....keep your rod in rod holder or you will loose it.syaing this from experiance

gi53

Button Buck
about a mile up nw river just before you get to the house on right that bend is about 25 ft deep and holds some nice cats ...anywhere from there up to next bend has a sandy bottom along shore on house side last 4 to 5 yaers noodlers or jug fishers have hurt the population a bit but they are still there .. ive seen a few 50 pounders come out of there.or go across sound to causeway ditch it has strong current and hard to fish but thats the only place i fished last couple of years use carolina rig large bait but anything this time of year will be slow....keep your rod in rod holder or you will loose it.syaing this from experiance

gi53

Button Buck
Do you fish the North west alot? I want to go there real soon, never been there. My fishing buddy is 85 and he wants to hook into a big cat. Are the perch in there yet, what is a good time for them? Any info would be great, Thanks for the input!

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Buy shrimp. Never fished there but if it’s any thing like Chowan River creeks on inshore good they will eat shrimp on any rig you can think of. Perch like spoons with shrimp and spinners with shrimp. Jig heads with shrimp catch both. Catfish slow and perch suspended. Carolina rig shrimp. River rig shrimp. Bottom rig shrimp. Shrimp on a jig with little spinner.
I would take a cat rod and a perch rod. First perch I caught would go on a hook and Carolina rig.
Take some pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
used to between skiers and noodle fishers i started fishing either causeway ditch or sound a bit more .. i like fresh cut eel for cats.. bigger the better gails bait and tackle or chesapeake bait and tackle has them cut about 2 in peices..for perch in cold weather use medium shiners for perch just fish around duck blinds and trees pushed over in 6 to 10 ft water or in summer go through causeway go twards sandbridge and fish around deep water duck blinds 4 to 6 feet note some blinds may only be 3 or 4 stobs sticking up where old duck blind is on bottom blown over... shrimp worms or my favorite cut strips of white perch...and in spring just use small 1/8 or 1/4 oz spinner and cast down banks lots of fun trolling pick up bass and stripers too

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

a Mile up from where?

gi53

Button Buck
No, it is one of the few I have not fished. Been looking at it on Google maps for a few months off and on . do you fish it?
I have never fished it, but will soon I hope. I got a smaller boat so I can launch in Moyack at shingels landing, I want to learn more about the river myself,

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
from mouth tulls bay turns into nw river only one house on right.. if you go up 5 or so miles theres a house on left just past that the river turns hard right ive caught speckel perch there all around that deep hole theres also good white perch fishng in that area.. there is a boat launch that might be shingles landing at that bend ... pole off two poled so you stay stationary in that area and spider fish poles all the way around your boat this time of year you will catch speckels and ring perch mostly.. use minnows and bobber about 1 foot off bottom in 6 to 8 ft water.. patience will produce sit back have a beer and watch bobbers

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
the house sits off river 200 yds or so boat dock on river .... shingles landing does dump out into the deepest hole ive found on nw river it holds speckels just fish around that area ...3 to 4 fish per hour = 20 to 30 in a day

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
This is the house he must be talking about. (Image attached)

I haven’t cat fished it yet. Maybe this weekend or next weekend I’ll give it a try. I started fishing it more this past summer once I got a boat and I’ve moved to the chowan because it’s a hard river to fish, well, for me. Keep us posted on how you do. If I make it out I’ll post a few.

Attachments

• BD7405EC-FDCF-4E6F-96E2-D6814B61D69F.png
    BD7405EC-FDCF-4E6F-96E2-D6814B61D69F.png
    971.7 KB · Views: 23

gi53

Button Buck
This is the house he must be talking about. (Image attached)

I haven’t cat fished it yet. Maybe this weekend or next weekend I’ll give it a try. I started fishing it more this past summer once I got a boat and I’ve moved to the chowan because it’s a hard river to fish, well, for me. Keep us posted on how you do. If I make it out I’ll post a few.
please let me know how you do. ''''''''''''''''''''i want to go fishing there real soon, I just hate to run the river just to explore.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
all the rain got the water muddy .. when it looks like black coffee good like coffee with creamer not good ... just before that house that corner is deep hole usualy holds fish

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
all the rain got the water muddy .. when it looks like black coffee good like coffee with creamer not good ... just before that house that corner is deep hole usualy holds fish
There Is a hole just before that right hand bend, at the last canal (coming from tulls bay) that I’ve been meaning to fish it. The hole drops from 12-20 something feet deep.

Redneckhero91

Four Pointer
I made it out yesterday and found some fish stacked in there. They were from on the bottom up to 15’ but couldn’t get bit. Water temp was back down to 43°. Hopefully Mother Nature will quit playing flip flop on the temperature.

VAhunter

Button Buck
I fished the Northwest River several times the last couple weeks. Catfishing has been pretty good. We will get between 8-10 blues per day. Nothing huge, biggest 31 lbs. Also had a 26, 20, 19, 17 and a smattering of 10-15 lb. fish. Crappie fishing has been better. Have to weed through small fish to get the keepers. Yellow perch have been about as slow as I've ever seen down there.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I always wondered about that river when I lived down there but never jumped in it. I think that's the same river behind Bob's fishing hole on the Virginia side. I stopped in there a few times for supplies.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
We used to fish and camp on the Northwest back in the 70's. We would set up camp on the river where the city park is now and then run down to "Panthers Landing" to buy beer. None of us were old enough to drive. Our parents would drop us off at what is now Bobs Fishing Hole with some canned goods, grease, some old pans and one dollar. After a week or two camping we would call home (always saved enough for a phone call) and they would come and pick us up. A bunch of ragtag young'uns with no adult supervision having the time of their lives. Our parents figured we would be better off fighting the cottonmouths and bugs than running the streets. LOL! Probably not a lot of parents out there today that would send their kids off into the swamps for a week or two with no adult supervision. I remember listening to K94 on the radio, broadcasting from Moyock,near the edge of the "GREAT DISMAL SWAMP" Ha Ha!

We did real well on cats using jugs, warmouth up in the headwaters, crappie wherever you could find a hole, and bass further down towards Tull's Bay. Back then it wasn't unusual to hang into a striper or two. Are they still in the river?

Last edited: