Curtain box hunting on OBX

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Getting ready to go on my yearly duck hunting trip. As I’ve mentioned before I’m no duck hunter but do enjoy a yearly trip to the coast with some buddies who are more serious about it than I am. Between the deer and the coons my hobby funding and time is maxed out. Anyway, this year we are hunting the curtain boxes at Ocracoke. Anyone have any experience hunting them or this style hunting? Just wondering what to expect of course I know a lot depends on conditions. Looking forward to the trip no matter what.

britlab64

Six Pointer
Weather is the key
As any duck hunt
Curtain Box hunted a few times

Be prepared to get wet if any wind
But usually good opportunities at good birds

Have fun

Britlab64

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake Oil

Four Pointer
Getting ready to go on my yearly duck hunting trip. As I’ve mentioned before I’m no duck hunter but do enjoy a yearly trip to the coast with some buddies who are more serious about it than I am. Between the deer and the coons my hobby funding and time is maxed out. Anyway, this year we are hunting the curtain boxes at Ocracoke. Anyone have any experience hunting them or this style hunting? Just wondering what to expect of course I know a lot depends on conditions. Looking forward to the trip no matter what.
Weather is the key
As any duck hunt

Have fun

Britlab64

Weather is the key
As any duck hunt

Have fun

Britlab64

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
We have been doing this hunt the last several years. I am sitting on the ferry to Ocracoke as I type this to hunt for the next 2 days. Weather is key as has been said. Wind is the #1 factor.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
We will be on the way this weekend for hunts Monday and Tuesday. It's a unique experience. A goose call is a trade secret to get the attention of passing flocks. Most use goose decoys to hide the the box but the goose call will draw in other ducks as well. Pintail whistle wouldn't hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Used to hunt one out there 20-30 years ago. Not sure if it's the same now but were shooting redhead, pintail, brant, and few bluebill

old school

Six Pointer
Bottomland camo works great or dark green or gray solid colors. Your marsh colored camo will stand out in a solid dark green inside box. Keep the curtain down as close to the water level as you can. Get out and keep the foam off the wings when it starts building up, and it will unless the wind is really up. Pintails will circle you about three times and then they are history. If you look up they are gone before then. I use a facemask and liner gloves to prevent standing out. All this has worked for me and of course there are exceptions to what you want to wear or not. Bottom line is conditions have to really be right because your target species are really 2 or 3 different birds. Enjoy in your face action when it's really right!

AB1620

Button Buck
Russel Williams
We have hunted with him several times. It's awesome. As others have said it depends on the weather but we have always killed birds with him and had a few epic days. We were over there for a big snow about 5 years ago and murdered them. I think we had Redheads, Blackheads, Pintails and Brant.

Russell is a different bird but good to hunt with. There's a reason he doesn't advertise and doesn't have to.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
We used to hunt with Wade down there and Russel has better brandt blinds. Both of those guys have no need to advertise because they stay fully booked with repeat customers. and if you are not a regular customer, good luck getting a hunt with either one of those guys.......

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We used to hunt with Wade down there and Russel has better brandt blinds. Both of those guys have no need to advertise because they stay fully booked with repeat customers. and if you are not a regular customer, good luck getting a hunt with either one of those guys.......

exactly,,,

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I will say some of the best hunts I have ever had down there when it was so bad that you could not even hunt the curtain blinds..............i remember one day when it was blowing so hard that the ferries could not run but the redheads and bluebills were thick as hops..............I bet we saw over 2 or 3 THOUSAND birds that day..............flocks of hundreds would fly over all day. We hunted out of the 'john boat' blind Wade had..........it was mind blowing how many birds we saw. Could have shot a case of shells that day if we wanted to.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Leaving at 5 am Thu for the drive, will hunt the curtain blinds Fri/Sat. Leave us a few birds...

dbohunts

Six Pointer
Hunted the boxes yesterday and Monday. As many divers as I've seen in 10+ years. Limited on Redheads both days and pintails as well the 1st day. You get a strong wind and its on fire out there. Should be hot next few days.

Hunted the boxes yesterday and Monday. As many divers as I've seen in 10+ years. Limited on Redheads both days and pintails as well the 1st day. You get a strong wind and its on fire out there. Should be hot next few days.
sounds like fun

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Who did you hunt with? I was there the same time _ Monday and Tuesday of this week, no one in our group of 8 killed a red head drake (no one had a shot at one) - Got pintails however. I suspected the redheads were at the other end of the reef. Had a great time with friends. Got to see an ACC team embarrass an SEC team as well. However my two favorite teams are NC State and who ever is playing UNC.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
shame we cannot go hunt them on public water. lot of Dare hunters come to Hyde but we cannot go there. long string o scissor rigs on 264 Wednesday morning coming from Dare

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
long string o scissor rigs on 264 Wednesday morning coming from Dare
I hope they find enough ducks to keep them there.

They come from all over the place and hunt here too. So apparently, unlike you would have us believe, a person that doesn't live in Dare County can somehow get a float blind license here.