Weight loss 2019

redbow

Ten Pointer
How many of you are trying to or will be trying to lose weight this year? I certainly am. I weighed last Thursday and I was 258 lbs. That is the heaviest I have ever been. I can't believe I let me self go like I did. Anyway, I decided to start watching what I eat and I joined the YMCA. I'm slowly working my way back in to working out. I also started drinking diluted apple cider vinegar twice a day. Well, I weighed in tonight and my weight was 246. I'm sure a lot of if is probably water weight but heck I don't care. Mentally and physically I feel better than I did. I am not dieting. I actually hate that word. I have just made better decisions about what and how much I eat. My plan is to continue to do so along with exercising 4-5 times a week. I will post every Thursday on my progress (Thursday is my weigh in day). If anyone is in the same boat I am in, feel free to post your progress on this post. Maybe it will be another source of motivation.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Yup. I do it every January. I was 176.2 on the morning of the 2nd. I had lost 6 lbs as of yesterday simply by cutting out fast food and sweet tea. As you said, mostly water weight probably, but I go fast food and sweet tea free every January and generally cut 15-20 lbs in about 6 weeks. Then the bad habits creep back in....

redbow

Ten Pointer
Yup. I do it every January. I was 176.2 on the morning of the 2nd. I had lost 6 lbs as of yesterday simply by cutting out fast food and sweet tea. As you said, mostly water weight probably, but I go fast food and sweet tea free every January and generally cut 15-20 lbs in about 6 weeks. Then the bad habits creep back in....
176, man I would love to see that on the scale. How much are you trying to drop and why do you let the bad habits back in? Sounds like you have history of up and down with your weight. Me, I've just been going up lol! I wish you the best Packfan.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Not really dieting or trying to lose weight all though I can use to lose another 20 but back in October made a decision to increase my stamina so i started on the treadmill/place you put clothes that are too clean to wash and too dirty to put away. I went 10 days in a row and by the end of the 2nd week I was up to 2.5 miles. Since then I have increased the incline to 5.5 and go between 2.5 and 3 each time and am over the 1000 mile mark. I do at least 6 days per week and have only done 5 days 2 separate weeks (Thanksgiving and Son's wedding). The by product has been a 10 lb weight loss and more importantly I feel the best I have in years. Now I look forward to doing it every day. Good luck to you Redbow. Stick with it!

redbow

Ten Pointer
Not really dieting or trying to lose weight all though I can use to lose another 20 but back in October made a decision to increase my stamina so i started on the treadmill/place you put clothes that are too clean to wash and too dirty to put away. I went 10 days in a row and by the end of the 2nd week I was up to 2.5 miles. Since then I have increased the incline to 5.5 and go between 2.5 and 3 each time and am over the 1000 mile mark. I do at least 6 days per week and have only done 5 days 2 separate weeks (Thanksgiving and Son's wedding). The by product has been a 10 lb weight loss and more importantly I feel the best I have in years. Now I look forward to doing it every day. Good luck to you Redbow. Stick with it!
Thanks man and best of luck to you on your journey/transformation!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I'm gonna try loose some weight but not gonna go all out like I have in the past because it didn't last.
I have stopped drinking soft drinks as of Jan 1st, I'll start eating better and walking soon.

sent from...... Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I started ......again..... on January 1.........no certain diet plan.....no carbs.....no sugar period..no beer....very high protein with dairy fats.....sweets were always my downfall. Started at 222.2lbs Jan 1 and weighed in on Tuesday of this week at 211.2......I quit smoking 2.5 years ago and put on 25 lbs shortly there after.....I want that gone first and by then I hope my eating habits have permanently changed allowing for a continuous weight loss to around 175...... good luck to all.....I am determined to get it done this time!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm gonna try loose some weight but not gonna go all out like I have in the past because it didn't last.
I have stopped drinking soft drinks as of Jan 1st, I'll start eating better and walking soon.

sent from...... Tapatalk
Just stop the bread with the soft drinks and you will drop it quick.....I never drink soft drinks(unless diet with bourbon in it) but dropping bread and sweets got me 11 lbs in one week! I haven’t increased exercising yet.....

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Set a goal to lose 35 pounds by graduation time for my daughter this year.

Cutting out bread and only drinking water. Setting a 12 hour window that I eat in.

My wife goes to the gym 4-5 times a week but goes at 04:30. I plan to start adding exercise into my plan soon

Packfan

Eight Pointer
176, man I would love to see that on the scale. How much are you trying to drop and why do you let the bad habits back in? Sounds like you have history of up and down with your weight. Me, I've just been going up lol! I wish you the best Packfan.

I’m 5’7” so.....

In all sincerity we have have a family 10 house broiler and 4 house nursery hog farm that three of us (me, BIL, and FIL) manage. I also work a high demand real job in finance to pay the bills, and i have some rental properties that I’m the fixer on. Nine months out of the year I work an average of 90+ hours a week and for the last 5 years i have helped coach my kids baseball team to boot. I work hard and play hard. I probably only work 40 hours per week in turkey and deer seasons though and hunt everyday.

I run on caffeine and carbs a lot which I know is not good for me. I am 40. I work drive 50,000+ miles per year so drive through a are a convenience; hence the bad habits. and work like a dog now because if things work out, all personal debts will be paid when I’m 42 and all farm debts will be paid when I’m 47. Then, I will slow down, travel the world, and hunt and fish for a living.

Of course, I could die one the way home today. But that’s ok, there’s enough life insurance that everyone will be taken care of and I will reside with my Lord and Savior forever.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
For those looking to excercise more I have a trick. Instead of telling yourself you are going to walk a mile or two just find somewhere to scout deer or turkey and walk in, or an out of the way fishing spot or a trail that has something you hadn't seen. It doesn't have to be "exercise" it can be enjoyable. I'm young and I'd like to stay that way so I just pile on the home projects and there's my excercise, dig in ten fruit trees or skin a she'd with play or pull up old carpet, whatever is cheap and strenuous that's my excercise, especially if it adds value to the house. Digging ponds and landscaping is great excercise and mostly affordable, it's a ton of labor. Lastly, I listen to history documentaries and go for a walk, that's fun and I learn a thing or two. Before you know it you've got five miles in. Just some advice from someone who tricks himself into workouts haha.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I started my weight loss journey last year in July. I dropped to 248 by thanksgiving. I added back another 10 lbs or so during the holidays. Dropped off keto so some of that was excess fluid etc.. I started back on Keto this Monday and am down to 254 again. My target is 220.

thandy

Ten Pointer
Started in October, not the best time is seems with Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I had to do something. Quit smoking then hurt my back several years ago and jumped up to 280 then kinda leveled off. I saw 320 in October and new I had to do something. Back down to about 285 now and would like to see 250 by the summer. I have never been a small guy I was 6,1 220 when I was in high school without much mush so getting much below 220/230 is going to be tough. Lots of protein, minimal carbs, no soda, and plenty of water seem to be doing the trick so far. I wish I had more time to workout but my son plays travel baseball and basketball and made the middle school basketball team, should make the baseball as well. Then you throw in 2 girls and there activities and its constant running...but I would trade it for the world!

Meal prep when I can and do what little bit of working out I can between running and working.

Way to go and keep at it guys!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I started ......again..... on January 1.........no certain diet plan.....no carbs.....no sugar period..no beer....very high protein with dairy fats.....sweets were always my downfall. Started at 222.2lbs Jan 1 and weighed in on Tuesday of this week at 211.2......I quit smoking 2.5 years ago and put on 25 lbs shortly there after.....I want that gone first and by then I hope my eating habits have permanently changed allowing for a continuous weight loss to around 175...... good luck to all.....I am determined to get it done this time!
I was with you till you said NO BEER. Then you lost me?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm on the diet kick my goal is to lose 15 to 20 by turkey season. I had lost 24 last summer into fall then dang fall and holiday season kicked me hard now gotta 0lay catch up. It does make you feel better by Oct my pants were falling off had go buy new belt

boomer

Twelve Pointer
My wife and I started a better eating and exercise plan in Sept. I weighed 260lbs at the time and on Dec 31,2018 I weighed in at 220lbs. I have cut out a lot of the bad things from my diet and I walk at least 3 miles each day, not all at one time but total for the whole day. I have the pedometer app on the phone to keep up with the miles. My goal is to get to 200 lbs by the end of 2019 and to stay below 200 for 2020. Mainly I try to burn more calories than I take in and to eat better. It has been hard but it has paid off. I feel better and I actually look forward to my walk time.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My goal is to compete in BJJ tournaments in the under 155 class. My last competition was at 162 but i put on about 15 pounds over the holidays. This morning I weighed 170 and my next competition is mid March. I'm not a gym guy but absolutely love choking people. Best shape I've been in since the late 90's

THHEAT

Twelve Pointer
I had let myself go way too long. In the past 13 months I have lost a total of 126 lbs. Mostly by high protein and low carbs (nothing white,no bread or potatoes soft drinks or sweet tea etc...) with some sporadic walking. My eating habits have done a 360 and am feeling good. However in the past month I've been at a standstill and need to loose about 20 more. It seem the only time there is a change (loss) is when I "shock" my system by eating outside my norm. I am starting to exercise more and am sure that will help. Not to hijack thread but and suggestions are appreciated.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I started last summer. I weighed 250. I am down to 220 now and have ran in 2 5ks since then.

I am trying to get to 200 by July.
I only eat in an 8 hour window during the day and I do a bunch of HIIT using body weight exercises and then go for a run.

My goal is to complete my first triathlon this summer.

Just remember. To lose weight calories in have to be less than calories out.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My weight is right where I want it to be at 170lbs. But, I have got to get in better shape. Those mountains on Kodiak Island are going to kill me if I don't. I ran 2.5 miles this morning and man was I sucking wind.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I weigh the most I ever have right now....220...I am only 5'7"...so I have the "tire". Planning to start Sunday with exercising and eating better.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I started last summer. I weighed 250. I am down to 220 now and have ran in 2 5ks since then.

I only eat in an 8 hour window during the day and I do a bunch of HIIT using body weight exercises and then go for a run.

Which triathlon?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I started 'intermittent fastin'g in late July. It's also called the 5-2 fasting diet. I went from 221 to 198, and want to get to 195 before I re-assess. I do a fair amount of strength training, but the key is in what you (don't) eat. Also, walking is very good for fat burning w/o burning muscle. Check out this video. If 58 min is too long, jump in about halfway through ... at 37:06

As was said ... avoid carbs -- esp the "bad" ones -- and avoid all carbs on fasting (500/600 Calorie) days. Concentrate on healthy fats and protein and you're good. Cut out fructose in the absence of fiber. Fruit is OK, juice and high fructose corn syrup are NOT OK. In fact HFCS has been likened to a poison to your body.

Last edited:

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The better half and I have started. So far, we've stopped eating out as much and have been cooking meals at home. We've also stopped buying a lot of the sweets and snacks we once did. To ensure we stick on it, we took the money we would have used to eat out and incentivized it as fun spending money for each of us. I've already started putting some of it towards my new rifle and shotgun funds for the year (y)

We'll soon start to exercise more. I have a bad back and her knee isn't the best, but slow and steady with a good diet is our hope. I have a lot to loose and may even look to get a nutritionist if things start off well. Before my mom passed, she lost and maintained a significant amount of weight using Medi. They're pricey, but I may look into that. We yo-yo'd this past year, but I'm tired of feeling tired and sore all the time. Plus, doesn't help when I went and volunteered at the local Boys and Girls club, the kids all ran up and said you're fat lol.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I weigh the most I ever have right now....220...I am only 5'7"...so I have the "tire". Planning to start Sunday with exercising and eating better.
Start now. This is what we do to ourselves generally speaking. We set an arbitrary date and the day comes and goes with a new excuse. Why can't you make a better eating choice for lunch today? Not picking on you, just using your post as an example of a mindset that isn't committed to making a change NOW.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Which triathlon?

Either the one on badin lake or lake lure. I’ve done open water swims in the past and done some 30-50 mile bike rides (most of this when I was slimmer but I know how to train) so my weakness is running. I’m looking for one that limits the run to a 5k. I’ve got pretty bad plantar fasciitis so 3 miles is my realistic limit for a run

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Start now. This is what we do to ourselves generally speaking. We set an arbitrary date and the day comes and goes with a new excuse. Why can't you make a better eating choice for lunch today? Not picking on you, just using your post as an example of a mindset that isn't committed to making a change NOW.
GREAT POINT ... there's no time like the present. Tomorrow is always a day away.

Set GOALS. Make sure they are SPECIFIC, REALISTIC, CHALLENGING yet ATTAINABLE, put it in WRITING, make sure it is MEASURABLE, set DUE DATES, and have a PLAN.