Buck shot

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any good deals. Like to stock up for next season. Even though didn’t use many this year.

klim

Twelve Pointer
I ain’t trying to tell a fella what to do but, I’d learn to load my own. I just started before deer season came in. It cost you a little to get started but it’s worth it in the long run. The patterns I get with factory loads don’t hold a candle to my hand loads. The Kick’s Buckickers choke tubes I shoot helps too.

Fudd

Four Pointer
Not to highjack the thread, but if anyone knows where I can find any 10 ga. in 31/2" #1 buck please let me know.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Federal flight control. 3 in. 00 12 pellet. Best factory load.Killed deer a long ways with them. Hard to find.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I ain’t trying to tell a fella what to do but, I’d learn to load my own. I just started before deer season came in. It cost you a little to get started but it’s worth it in the long run. The patterns I get with factory loads don’t hold a candle to my hand loads. The Kick’s Buckickers choke tubes I shoot helps too.
It is well worth the effort. I extended my range close to 50%.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t hunt with a shotgun much. I like the flight control buckshot out of an improved cylinder because a slug is always the first one down the pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shotgunner

Ten Pointer

I agree.

Started loading last summer and really love it. I was fortunate enough to shoot hand loads the last couple of years. Decided to try my hand at it this summer. So much better that factory stuff. One of my biggest issues with factory loads is the way they change. Remington had the Nickel plated buckshot for a couple of years that would really shoot. Then all of a sudden it seemed to change........well to make a long story short they changed the wad and it became very apparent quickly that that wad was not near as consistent as the first.

If you have scales and a trickler you can get into the buckshot loading business relatively cheaply. $100-$150 dollars and you will be set for a while. Seems like a lot but with top end buckshot running $8.00 a box it will not take long to make it up. Not to mention the improved results.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've loaded some #1 and #00 with pretty good results. The only down side I've found is the cost of buckshot.

klim

Twelve Pointer
Remington had the Nickel plated buckshot for a couple of years

Killed a pile of deer with that load out of a Mossberg 835 with mod choke. The on issue I had was it would leak buffer like crazy. I shot it in Winchester 1400 with a Full choke in 2 3/4 inch 12 pellets with great success too.

RMc

Four Pointer
Yes, handloading buckshot creates load options you can't purchase.

I like to take my late 1960s Remington 1100 on deer drives occasionally. It is chambered and set up to eject for 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells - both roll and fold crimp. My favored handload for the 1100 is a 16 x .30" pellets stacked in layers of two in a steel shot type wad. (Factory loaded #1B pellets run only .286" and 33 grains).

Now the 16 x .30" load will not fit in a 2 3/4" fold crimp hull, but will fit perfectly in a 2 3/4" roll crimped hull (same loaded length as a 3" fold crimp). That vintage 1100/30"/full choke, will function and eject smoothly with this buffered 1.44 ounce / 1260 fps roll crimped load.

Patterns at forty yards seldom put less that 10 pellets in the 10" pattern core and all sixteen of my heat treated 40 grain pellets inside of 15"

Last edited:

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Yes, handloading buckshot creates load options you can't purchase.

I like to take my late 1960s Remington 1100 on deer drives occasionally. It is chambered and set up to eject for 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells - both roll and fold crimp. My favored handload for the 1100 is a 16 x .30" pellets stacked in layers of two in a steel shot type wad. (Factory loaded #1B pellets run only .286" and 33 grains).

Now the 16 x .30" load will not fit in a 2 3/4" fold crimp hull, but will fit perfectly in a 2 3/4" roll crimped hull (same loaded length as a 3" fold crimp). That vintage 1100/30"/full choke, will function and eject smoothly with this buffered 1.44 ounce / 1260 fps roll crimped load.

Patterns at forty yards seldom put less that 10 pellets in the 10" pattern core and all sixteen of my heat treated 40 grain pellets inside of 15"
Agreed, a factory OO Buckshot pellet actually is a O Buck 32 cal...
Most people have no idea.
Thanks for the advice with your 1100 experience!