M1 Garand info

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
A local gun shop had this on consignment and I was pretty interested. A few days later it had been sold. Little did I know that my wife had bought it and gave it to me for Christmas. Awesome gift in that I’ve wanted one a long while. I have limited knowledge but here’s what I know. It’s a 1945 Springfield receiver. 1945 SA barrel, SA bolt carrier. Probably restocked with the circle P cartouch. I can’t find any other stock markings. It has the early model milled trigger guard that I think changed around 1944. I’ve heard about the op rods. What do I need to look for?What ammo is acceptable. Should I have a Garand smith check for spec before firing? I have the contact info of the original owner. I’m gonna try and get some history on it. Overall I’m really happy with it but I’d like to know more. Experts chime in. Gadget help me out.

Attachments

• 0BF3D244-5CCD-4865-A727-878A9A90AD2F.jpeg
    0BF3D244-5CCD-4865-A727-878A9A90AD2F.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 60

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Im hunting now.
Looks like it will be a good on.
They may be rebuild marks on the leg of the reciever but the P is just a proof mark that was used on the military stock.
Parts range all over as far as time frame. Some guns are known to have parts that were earlier or later production pending how they loaded or rotated the parts bin.
Where are you.
I could really get into it and gauge the parts.
You will need to look at a few things before you jusg carry it out to shoot.
Only shoot military 150 ball. There are some mil spec ammo out there like winchester or PMC.
You want to look for parts that could be welded or damaged before anything, make sure of headspace and spring if the history of the gun is not known.
There are SA markings then lot numbers that tell the time frame of the parts.
Only the barrel has a date, reciever it a date range and also parts.
Most all parts will have a marking or way to ID the maker, time frame

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Carolinafirearms forum has a good Garand smith in Kernersville I think. or might be carolinashooters forum

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
Good news today. The previous owner confirmed its a CMP Gun so should be good to shoot. Any recommendations on ammo. I found some sealed spam cans of Greek milsurp with enblocs locally but I’m not sure if that’s non corrosive or not.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing wrong with that ammo.
I was getting my limit on it when they had it.
Shoots good and is made to USGI spec.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I’m glad you brought the gas plug up. I was wondering if that was a good thing to do. Is the special wrench necessary to install it?
They sell a wrench but I believe a standard M1/M14 combo tool will work. You could also just stick a flat tip screwdriver into it and turn it.

CD

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
It may be hard to see but there are numbers stamped on the receiver leg above the others. Rebuild information?

Attachments

• 5620E68E-3B76-48C6-8C6E-24E78E505182.jpeg
    5620E68E-3B76-48C6-8C6E-24E78E505182.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 16

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Your sn based on that lot number should be 3 million to 3.8 springfield.
Mid 1944 to mid 1945

What are the other markings, cant make them out. Also what barrel markings?
Is it O 83 or something like that. If so that is the heat lot number. Cant make it out on the phone.
Most the time the rebuild marking are etched in the leg or behind there sight even stamped on the stock only for the earlier ones.
Is the chamber in the white? Or dark and parked?

Last edited:

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
Your sn based on that lot number should be 3 million to 3.8 springfield.
Mid 1944 to mid 1945

What are the other markings, cant make them out. Also what barrel markings?
Is it O 83 or something like that. If so that is the heat lot number. Cant make it out on the phone.
Most the time the rebuild marking are etched in the leg or behind there sight even stamped on the stock only for the earlier ones.
Is the chamber in the white? Or dark and parked?

It’s a 3.7 serial. Barrel is SA45 and the bore is “In the white”. I believe that is O 87 on the marking but there is nothing etched anywhere that I can find. I did notice there is a second circle p cartouch in the stock that you really have to look for. I’m pretty sure the stock has been replaced but it does have rack numbers. Would CMP Use a stock with rack numbers on it? I know it’s next to impossible but it would be cool to learn the history on it. Wondering if it was ever issued?

I ran some Greek milsurp through it yesterday with no issues.

4BFAA511-26EA-456B-8A77-A679A9DBAA74.jpeg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If it is a CMP gun most all other than collector grade they strip and clean them.
The rack number is common on the guns be it Greek, US or other LL gun.
Could be the stock was replaced being damaged or that could be the same stock on that gun for a long time. Haveing several stamps on it tells nothing really.
Need to know the month for that year barrel then need to know most the SN to tell what month it was and see if they are correct. Also need to know more bout the op rod all the trigger parts and so on.
Chances are the barrel was fine and the reciever/barrel could be correct and other parts mixed in for rebuild or service in that country.
Many of the guns from CMP are being built up.
You also have people like me that buy a gun just for the parts.
I have picked up several just for stocks, others because they had parts I needed to correct another gun. I have got all.matching guns from CMP that are springfield yet had a IHC trigger group. It is easy to swap the parts like that and helps the value.

There are also people getting 10 to 12 guns and build 5 good ones to keep then sell off the others or part them out as the parts are worth more than the gun.

One I got had a IHC stock, paid 600 ish and sold.the stock for 550.
So
There is no telling being it come from CMP and it come from a collector or builder.
You really need to know from CMP pay the 25$ they will tell you if it is their gun and what grade or if sold as reciever only.

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
If it is a CMP gun most all other than collector grade they strip and clean them.
The rack number is common on the guns be it Greek, US or other LL gun.
Could be the stock was replaced being damaged or that could be the same stock on that gun for a long time. Haveing several stamps on it tells nothing really.
Need to know the month for that year barrel then need to know most the SN to tell what month it was and see if they are correct. Also need to know more bout the op rod all the trigger parts and so on.
Chances are the barrel was fine and the reciever/barrel could be correct and other parts mixed in for rebuild or service in that country.
Many of the guns from CMP are being built up.
You also have people like me that buy a gun just for the parts.
I have picked up several just for stocks, others because they had parts I needed to correct another gun. I have got all.matching guns from CMP that are springfield yet had a IHC trigger group. It is easy to swap the parts like that and helps the value.

There are also people getting 10 to 12 guns and build 5 good ones to keep then sell off the others or part them out as the parts are worth more than the gun.

One I got had a IHC stock, paid 600 ish and sold.the stock for 550.
So
There is no telling being it come from CMP and it come from a collector or builder.
You really need to know from CMP pay the 25$ they will tell you if it is their gun and what grade or if sold as reciever only.

Thanks.