Winter weather?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
yeah a few graupel showers and flurries around totally unrelated to Sundays storm.......models still crushing western half of NC but the cold air mass is not crazy cold, its still early in the season and the cold air masses are still a month or so away from peaking.....still it only takes air being cold enough......still a lot of ??????'s with when/where/what though by tomorrow they should start honking the horn if the big dog is still on the models.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The first "big" snow storm of the season is one of the things I've been looking forward to since retiring; No more having to drive around Wake county with all the other crazies.......

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
in case you didn't know (like me) wth a graupel shower was. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Cmon downeastnc you showing off now..

Sorry kinda thought graupel was a common term.....sometimes we weather nerds live in a bubble......

Typically happens when the air just above the surface is very cold and we get a little sun and you get convective type showers, its also called soft hail and snow pellets....really cool stuff to witness doesn't happen often and usually in early or late winter.....

example...notice the clouds in the video not the typical stratus deck we see with regular snow, temps at the surface can often be 40-45 degrees

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Going to be interesting to see this one shape up for WNC. As it currently stands, the GFS and Euro are dumping a load over our area. The 12z Euro ensemble had 22" at the Asheville Airport. Could be approaching 2ft!

1544045598339.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Still looks solid for western NC.....the low track is not locked in so how far east it gets is still up in the air.....everyone will start out as snow/sleet darn near to the coast but as the low gets closer the warm air will move inland.....the real question is where that switchover to sleet/rain line ends up.....I-77 and to the west are all snow the entire storm and if anyone sees 12-20" or more its there.....east of there its gonna snow and probably a lot but still hard to say how much though it will be enough to be a major problem. Rdu to the coast is probably where there will be a pretty sharp line where snow totals fall off quickly....somewhere there will be 6" of snow and 20 miles east of there nothing....

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Downeast, coming through again. Thanks for helping us wade through the lagoon of uncertainty that news folks won't touch.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Man I sure hope your wrong 12- 20 inches will cause me so many headaches for me at work looks like starting sun AM through who knows how long. Heck I'm getting headache just thinking about it. I'm rooting for 3-6

chef

Ten Pointer
Still looks solid for western NC.....the low track is not locked in so how far east it gets is still up in the air.....everyone will start out as snow/sleet darn near to the coast but as the low gets closer the warm air will move inland.....the real question is where that switchover to sleet/rain line ends up.....I-77 and to the west are all snow the entire storm and if anyone sees 12-20" or more its there.....east of there its gonna snow and probably a lot but still hard to say how much though it will be enough to be a major problem. Rdu to the coast is probably where there will be a pretty sharp line where snow totals fall off quickly....somewhere there will be 6" of snow and 20 miles east of there nothing....

are you sure you don't have that airport code wrong. gso?

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Luckily I no longer have to drive in yuk WX since I was able to retire...but ironically, with my main hobby now photography, I'd really like to hike some shoreline for photos at Falls Lake during or after a good snow, but won't risk trying to drive there to do it
:)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
From everything I am seeing for Greensboro it is 50% chance it is a major snowstorm and 50% chance it is an epic storm for the history books.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Gboro forecast this morning is for 4-6", but variables making it difficult to be real accurate.......plenty of time for it to change a couple more times, too! Emily, Eric and Ed all agree basically.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Gboro forecast this morning is for 4-6", but variables making it difficult to be real accurate.......plenty of time for it to change a couple more times, too! Emily, Eric and Ed all agree basically.
My wife was neighbors with Ed for a few years. I'll never forgot when they screwed up the big snowstorm in 99. There was already 1-2" on the ground with a swirling system overhead and they said there will not be more than a dusting. We didn't have school for a week.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm supposed to head to TN for work on Monday. Usually drive through Asheville to Knoxville and then over to Franklin. With 5" projected Sunday for Charlotte and non-stop snow for Asheville, I'm planning on heading down 85 to Atlanta and shooting up to Franklin. May have to leave later than normal though while the roads get cleaned up. Crazy weather this year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
way back ole Lee kindard (wfmytv weatherman) put us to bed with a blizzard forecast. I had tracking plans galore planned, On my own , no school, what could be better. poor ole rabbits didn't have a chance.
When I got woke up to go to school because the blizzard had turned to a monsoon I was distraught. :eek:
I hope the xperts pull a" Lee" on this system and miss on the blizzard forecast.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
way back ole Lee kindard (wfmytv weatherman) put us to bed with a blizzard forecast. I had tracking plans galore planned, On my own , no school, what could be better. poor ole rabbits didn't have a chance.
When I got woke up to go to school because the blizzard had turned to a monsoon I was distraught. :eek:
I hope the xperts pull a" Lee" on this system and miss on the blizzard forecast.

Your just getting old and crotchety.. embrace the white stuff it is pretty and it never last long around here relatively speaking.. Only time I ever really worried about it was when we got the 2 feet and only the because my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time.. I am kinda looking forward to a bow hunt in the snow on Sunday.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Your just getting old and crotchety.. embrace the white stuff it is pretty and it never last long around here relatively speaking.. Only time I ever really worried about it was when we got the 2 feet and only the because my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time.. I am kinda looking forward to a bow hunt in the snow on Sunday.
No when I get old and crotchety I wont have to travel in it or expect others to do the same.
Now I do and it sucks.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Love some snow, but now that I am a responsible adult and have a job that requires me to be at work, regardless of weather conditions, I dread these types of weather events. If you do not have to be on the road, then please stay at home. I do not want to see you all mangled up in my ER. And please, don't call EMS because you sprained your ankle walking on the ice. You are putting their lives at risk to transport you to the ER for something that can wait.

There is my rant.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Luckily I no longer have to drive in yuk WX since I was able to retire...but ironically, with my main hobby now photography, I'd really like to hike some shoreline for photos at Falls Lake during or after a good snow, but won't risk trying to drive there to do it
:)
Won’t you need waders? No beach to be seen at Jordan or Falls last time I went by