Ruger American Compact 243

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I've been thinking of getting a compact, 18in barrel, Ruger American 243 to use and also have for when my little ones are old enough. My dad has the standard 308 version and it shoots really well. Does anyone have the compact model in 243 or any caliber for that matter? If so, do you like it, does it shoot well? Not looking to spend a fortune. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have a stainless compact Ruger American in .308Win. I swapped the stock out for a full sized model and it is an awesome shooting little rifle. It is my go to in any weather rifle. It is easy to maneuver in small blinds. I've shot upwards of a dozen Ruger American rifles and all have performed well.

<>< Fish

1543367124955.png

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I have a stainless compact Ruger American in .308Win. I swapped the stock out for a full sized model and it is an awesome shooting little rifle. It is my go to in any weather rifle. It is easy to maneuver in small blinds. I've shot upwards of a dozen Ruger American rifles and all have performed well.

<>< Fish

View attachment 22699
Awesome! That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the reply. Nice deer as well

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Do not trust the tightness of the stock screws or scope base screws as they come from Ruger. I swapped the bases off from mine for a DNZ mount and put an old Zeiss 6x scope on my rifle. The factory bases were finger tight and both stock screws were the same. I'm running my action screws at 60 in/lbs with no issues. Ruger recommends 60-80 in/lbs.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

genbud78

Ten Pointer

Do not trust the tightness of the stock screws or scope base screws as they come from Ruger. I swapped the bases off from mine for a DNZ mount and put an old Zeiss 6x scope on my rifle. The factory bases were finger tight and both stock screws were the same. I'm running my action screws at 60 in/lbs with no issues Ruger recommends 60-80 in/lbs.

<>< Fish
I'll keep that in mind. I had seen where some had issues with that.

decoycarver

Six Pointer
You cant go wrong with the American rifles no matter what stock or caliber. They are known for shooting accurately right out of the box. My girlfriend hunts with the compact in 7-08. She got 5 last year and 3 so far this year. Great shooting little gun.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
You cant go wrong with the American rifles no matter what stock or caliber. They are known for shooting accurately right out of the box. My girlfriend hunts with the compact in 7-08. She got 5 last year and 3 so far this year. Great shooting little gun.
Good deal. I know my dad's 308 has been deadly everytime he pulled the trigger. Good feel to it as well. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll get a 243 and a 7MM08..haha

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My MIL has the compact in 7mm-08 as well. It is an awesome rifle for the price. She has 5 kills on 5 shots over the past 3 years. There are several standard rar's in our family that all shoot great but none are .243, cant comment on that part.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
My MIL has the compact in 7mm-08 as well. It is an awesome rifle for the price. She has 5 kills on 5 shots over the past 3 years. There are several standard rar's in our family that all shoot great but none are .243, cant comment on that part.
Most of the reviews I've seen have been positive. I appreciate the reply

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I have one & like it. Bought it with the intention of having my son & other friends without a true deer rifle use it when they come to hunt due to its simplicity & low recoil. Great for newer hunters & those of us more experienced guys that don’t want all the recoil of larger calibers. Shot placement means more than power anyway on white tails. My Dad & my 13,year old son have both made one shot kills with it over the last two seasons. The gun shoots the Hornady Whitetail round really well. I’ve got a Redfield on mine & that makes it a nice, reasonably priced combo.

Truth be told, I’d rather shoot the .243 on the range than my Browning .280. It kills deer just as well as the .280 too!

Last edited:

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I have one & like it. Bought it with the intention of having my son & other friends without a true deer rifle use it when they come to hunt due to its simplicity & low recoil. Great for newer hunters & those of us more experienced guys that don’t want all the recoil of larger calibers. Shot placement means more than power anyway on white tails. My Dad & my 13,year old son have both made one shot kills with it over the last two seasons. The gun shoots the Hornady Whitetail round really well. I’ve got a Redfield on mine & that makes it a nice, reasonably priced combo.

Truth be told, I’d rather shoot the .243 on the range than my Browning .280. It kills deer just as well as the .280 too!
Sounds like what my plans are with it. I've been getting away from the hard thumpers so I generally use AR style guns. I have always wanted a 243 and this one is shaping up to fit the bill. Been looking at several scores but have made a decision on it yet. Will look at the Redfield. Thanks for the reply

strut buster

Eight Pointer
My boys shoot a Compact in 7mm-08. Youngest killed his first with it at 7. He's now 9 and still going strong. I highly recommend the 7-08 and in my experience it's fine for youth. I let my boys shoot a scoped .22 as much as they want for practice. To the best of my knowledge, they've only shot the 7-08 at deer, but with 14 deer and one miss between them, not a word has been said about recoil using 139 gr. Hornady SST factory ammo. Also HIGHLY recommend that round.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
How's the muzzle blast on the short barrel 243?

It’s definitely there when the light gets low, but the 18” slug barrel on my 12 ga puts it to shame!

So, it’s not too bad & I don’t notice it when I shoot it at the range, only in very low light situations. A larger caliber in the compact barrel would probably be a lot more noticeable.

My only complaint with the gun is that the plastic on the forend is mighty thin & a little “bendy”. I wish they had made it thicker or more rigid, I notice it will touch the barrel if I hold it wrong. Doesn’t seem to hurt the effectiveness on deer though.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
My boys shoot a Compact in 7mm-08. Youngest killed his first with it at 7. He's now 9 and still going strong. I highly recommend the 7-08 and in my experience it's fine for youth. I let my boys shoot a scoped .22 as much as they want for practice. To the best of my knowledge, they've only shot the 7-08 at deer, but with 14 deer and one miss between them, not a word has been said about recoil using 139 gr. Hornady SST factory ammo. Also HIGHLY recommend that round.
Good info, I'll have to look at both. Maybe I can convince my wife to buy me the 7-08 and I'll buy the kids the 243..haha. thanks for the reply

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Thanks. I have the ranch model. I assume it's the same stock. I sanded the barrel channel down and bedded the receiver. It fixed all of the issues with the barrel touching the stock. Was easy and worth doing
It’s definitely there when the light gets low, but the 18” slug barrel on my 12 ga puts it to shame!

So, it’s not too bad & I don’t notice it when I shoot it at the range, only in very low light situations. A larger caliber in the compact barrel would probably be a lot more noticeable.

My only complaint with the gun is that the plastic on the forend is mighty thin & a little “bendy”. I wish they had made it thicker or more rigid, I notice it will touch the barrel if I hold it wrong. Doesn’t seem to hurt the effectiveness on deer though.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
The more I look and read the more it makes me lean towards the 7mm-08 instead of the 243. Seems the recoil isn't significantly different and the 08 packs a much better punch.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The more I look and read the more it makes me lean towards the 7mm-08 instead of the 243. Seems the recoil isn't significantly different and the 08 packs a much better punch.

The .260Rem/6.5 Creedmoor splits the difference between the two. My .260 kills them just as DRT as a .308 and recoils like a .243Win.

<>< Fish

genbud78

Ten Pointer

The .260Rem/6.5 Creedmoor splits the difference between the two. My .260 kills them just as DRT as a .308 and recoils like a .243Win.

<>< Fish
Hmm, guess I'll look at that one as well. I just need to buy them all..haha

jim67

Eight Pointer
Haven’t shot a lot of deer calibers but the 243 is my favorite. I shot 2 deer with one this season and neither of them took one step.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Haven’t shot a lot of deer calibers but the 243 is my favorite. I shot 2 deer with one this season and neither of them took one step.
That's awesome! What round were you using?

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
I’ve been shooting a .243 for 6 years now, have .30-06, .30-30, 444 that go out sometimes but primarily tote my .243. It’s a compact Rem with20”Barrel, very easy carrying and maneuvering stands, boxes and blinds. I shoot the Barnes Vortex in 80gr, it’s a solid copper bullet and it has yet to fail me on any shot, neck or shoulder when I do my part.

As with lots of things it comes down to what you like and are comfortable with. Other calibers mentioned are great calibers also, will work for what you want. My decision on .243 was based on fact it’s available(ammo) almost anywhere and it doubles well for Varmints with 58gr V-max or 62gr Varmit Grenade. And yes the 7-08, .260 and Creedmores can also do this, although the Creedmores are designed for the heavier bullets. Go with what makes you the most comfortable, any of them will serve ya well, isn’t a wrong answer here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I’ve been shooting a .243 for 6 years now, have .30-06, .30-30, 444 that go out sometimes but primarily tote my .243. It’s a compact Rem with20”Barrel, very easy carrying and maneuvering stands, boxes and blinds. I shoot the Barnes Vortex in 80gr, it’s a solid copper bullet and it has yet to fail me on any shot, neck or shoulder when I do my part.

As with lots of things it comes down to what you like and are comfortable with. Other calibers mentioned are great calibers also, will work for what you want. My decision on .243 was based on fact it’s available(ammo) almost anywhere and it doubles well for Varmints with 58gr V-max or 62gr Varmit Grenade. And yes the 7-08, .260 and Creedmores can also do this, although the Creedmores are designed for the heavier bullets. Go with what makes you the most comfortable, any of them will serve ya well, isn’t a wrong answer here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply. Seems that either will fit my needs. Mainly want it so my kids can use it as they get a little older. My daughter is 9 and is wanting to start being behind the trigger as opposed to tagging along. The recoil was my concern but I don't know that there is going to be a significant difference between the 243 and 08 so I'll continue researching the pros and cons. Good to get feedback from those that actually use the rounds though, that's worth it's weight in gold.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want very very light recoil - 357 magnum in a rifle. I picked up and H&R single shot for my son, but he has no interest in hunting so I've been using it. It's perfect for my ground blind woods hunting. A bonus, velocities are up on average 600 fps compared to a handgun. Henry has it in lever action and a new single shot. Ruger has it in an M77.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
If you want very very light recoil - 357 magnum in a rifle. I picked up and H&R single shot for my son, but he has no interest in hunting so I've been using it. It's perfect for my ground blind woods hunting. A bonus, velocities are up on average 600 fps compared to a handgun. Henry has it in lever action and a new single shot. Ruger has it in an M77.

What kind of range is reasonable with that set up? It’s hard to find ballistics charts for rifles/carbines in pistol calibers. I would love to have one chambered like that for a few places I hunt.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What kind of range is reasonable with that set up? It’s hard to find ballistics charts for rifles/carbines in pistol calibers. I would love to have one chambered like that for a few places I hunt.

A long shot shot where I'm hunting is 60 yards, most are 30-40. I wouldn't be afraid to shot 100 yards, maybe 125. Pretty quiet too, it doesn't even ring your ears.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.44 mag is great in a rifle also, very little recoil and flat deadly on deer.

Great woods cartridge. Recoil is light but over 2x the 357 mag, similar to a 243. The 357 is so light you would swear you were shooting a 22 mag. 38's are like a mouse fart quiet LOL.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Ballistics By The Inch is a good guide for those. It list barrel length velocities and real world firearm velocity FPS. There are muzzle energy graphs as well as charts for cylinder gap loss. It is a handy resource.

<>< Fish