Whole cut processing

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
6CA0388E-62D3-4F2B-A020-C84C53729001.jpegWhen I first started butchering my own deer I did what I think a lot of people end up doing. Backstraps, tenderloins, jerky meat and a huge grind pile. I have come a long way in my butchering and more importantly cooking that not utilizing whole cuts of meat is almost sinful. It doesn’t take a processor to get quality steaks and roast nor does it take a chef to make them palitable and dare I say without BACON.
Above is the buck I shot last week broken down into whole cuts with very little waste or grinder meat. The whole process took about 3 hours from skinning to packing. This can absolutely be done by anyone in any living situation. You can add a lot of value to your harvest by trying different cuts and save some money doing it yourself.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I don't do whole cuts for the simple reason that nobody in my immediate family other than myself will eat venison. I do appreciate the time you took to lay out and photograph the various whole cuts for the readers of this forum.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Started doing this myself about 3 years ago, is not that difficult and you know what you are getting the deer you killed, is very satisfiying to do it all yourself ,just got through making 12lbs of burger and 10 lbs of summer sausage last week along with the roast and lions ,haven't tried the ribs for making broth with yet but will ,thanks

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
thank you Brother!!

and deer shanks make a pretty good Osso Boco
They do, a little on the thin side for me. I feel like its a lot of effort into a dish for their size. I am going braise these and add what would be the calf muscle to supplement. Serve it over mashed potatoes or polenta .

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Where's the liver Wildlifer?
Man I’ve tried deer liver a few times, followed different recipes and never got it to something I enjoyed. I think I stand a better chance at making it workout with a younger Animal.
Not shown here is the tongue which came out really well.

The Dude

Eight Pointer
Man I’ve tried deer liver a few times, followed different recipes and never got it to something I enjoyed. I think I stand a better chance at making it workout with a younger Animal.
Not shown here is the tongue which came out really well.

Mine is usually more onions than liver. Haven't tried deer tongue, gonna have to give that a shot. Had plenty of tacos de lengua which is beef tongue.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Funny just have put mine away for the night. Had it all layed out for all the different cuts of meat. Got 2 more to start on the next few nights then pack the freezer before I head out this weekend looking another. I find it fun to break out all the different cuts and find some really good chunks that in the past I would grind but they sure are good on the smoker.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Mine is usually more onions than liver. Haven't tried deer tongue, gonna have to give that a shot. Had plenty of tacos de lengua which is beef tongue.
Hank Shaw has a great taco recipe for them. I would prob try and scavenge a few more from your buddies to make it worth it.