Kerr, Jordan crappie changes proposed

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Crappie

1) Remove the exception to the general statewide regulation for crappie in B. Everett Jordan Reservoir by reducing the minimum size limit from 10 inches to 8 inches. The creel limit would remain 20 fish per day.

Justification: Anglers have expressed interest in aligning the size limit for crappie at Jordan Reservoir with other fishing waters across the state. The proposed change would provide additional angling opportunity. Crappie abundance, size structure, and age structure indicate the population can support the additional harvest. 15A NCAC 10C .0306 Crappie (page 25)

2) Establish an exception to the general statewide regulation for crappie in the North Carolina portion of John H. Kerr Reservoir by implementing a 9-inch minimum size limit and a 25-fish daily creel limit.

Justification: The proposed change was requested by Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fish (VDGIF) to reduce angler harvest and improve the quality of the reservoir’s crappie fishery. By agreement, VDGIF is the primary lead for fisheries management activities at 4 John H. Kerr Reservoir. VDGIF staff has observed high harvest rates and a reduced density of crappie. 15A NCAC 10C .0306 Crappie (p

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting.

on the one hand we are letting anglers determine the size limit on Jordan, on the other hand we let VA determine the limit and size on buggs island.

Very accommodating division of the NCWRC.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So your saying the biologists data is wrong? No I don't fish Jordan lake but I am not a fan of size limits on crappie. They are a "meat" fish.

Crappie abundance, size structure, and age structure indicate the population can support the additional harvest.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can't speak for Jordan as I don't fish it but High Rock had an 8" length limit for years. We never kept any less than 10-11 but it got to where it was absolutely full of shorts.

They finally saw the light and realized that they were waaaaaay too many in there and opened the flood gates. Removed the size and creel limit. Of course that suited certain groups as far as table fare and they haul them out by the bucket loads. It has drastically helped the size of the crappie you now catch there. I would look for them to implement length and creel limits again on HR fairly soon as I am not schooled on the subject but would suspect many more years of hauling smaller fish out by the bucketsfull will have the fishery going in the opposite direction.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
So your saying the biologists data is wrong? No I don't fish Jordan lake but I am not a fan of size limits on crappie. They are a "meat" fish.
no, but how long do they say it can support this??? as it couldnt in the past. they dont say it can support this forever. we will be right back where we were with over harvest in a few years.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i don't want to b critical but the rationale stated for the change is weak. basically it said that crappie fishermen aren't capable of handling differing limits that may sustain fisheries. So let's dumb it down for them. SMH.

Jordan has been doing fine with it's limits as mack said. are people that hungry? or dumb. or lazy that they cant handle regs?
How in the world do trout fishermen function with their regs?

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No question the change they made at High Rock has brought that lake "back"... but I'm with OS, the rationale for the change at Jordan doesn't make sense. With the exception of a couple years where there was a significant shad die off Jordan has always been an great crappie fishery. If it's not broke don't fix it.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
But the WRC is all about standardizing regs where possible.

Most lakes with a size limit it’s 8 inches.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Greensboro screwed this up for a long time in the resevoirs and they all ended up with 8" crappie. It's gotten much better since they removed restrictions. If you get too many crappie in a lake they keep on reproducing but get smaller and smaller.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
But the WRC is all about standardizing regs where possible.

Most lakes with a size limit it’s 8 inches.

Not all lakes and fisheries are created equal. I get simplicity, and standardization but if there is an issue that changing a size limit could help fix, I'm all for it.

Reactions: CRC

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No question the change they made at High Rock has brought that lake "back"... but I'm with OS, the rationale for the change at Jordan doesn't make sense. With the exception of a couple years where there was a significant shad die off Jordan has always been an great crappie fishery. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Like I said I have no clue about Jordon. But I know what worked in HR. Funny thing there were those that said taking the restrictions off it would doom it. In fact I was berated here over being in favor of it. I have seen that work too many times. You just have to know when to put 'em back on.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Not all lakes and fisheries are created equal. I get simplicity, and standardization but if there is an issue that changing a size limit could help fix, I'm all for it.

I agree.

In western NC they went to a blanket 8 inch size limit on all public waters (west of I-77) whether the crappie population needed it or not in the name of simplifying regulations (except for Lake Chatuge which was changed to Georgia limits because a lot of the lake is in Georgia)

quackNcluck

Six Pointer
Not sure who is making these decisions in the NCWRC. Grenada Lake in Mississippi has a 12" min with only 10 keepers per person to ensure adequate growth and sustain a healthy population. Probably one of if not the best lakes in the country for big healthy slabs. I fish Jordan routinely and think they should leave the regulation as it is

Crappie man

Six Pointer
I’ve been fishing Jordan since the lake was filled.My personal opinion the crappie size within the population is in great shape.I See no reason to make a change to 8 in.I’m not known to spend much time at the “community hot spots” but when I do I see a lot of people keeping almost everything they catch.
Change to 8 inch and they will be keeping 6 inch.
On another note I don’t look at crappie as being a “meat” fish. I only fish for crappie using artificial bait with ultralight gear and get the enjoyment out of figuring out where they are and how to catch them just like the many years I spent bass fishing .I’m not out there just to fill a cooler.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Unfortunately many folks see crappie as a meat fish. That’s how they are managed.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been fishing Jordan since the lake was filled.My personal opinion the crappie size within the population is in great shape.I See no reason to make a change to 8 in.I’m not known to spend much time at the “community hot spots” but when I do I see a lot of people keeping almost everything they catch.
On another note I don’t look at crappie as being a “meat” fish. I only fish for crappie using artificial bait with ultralight gear and get the enjoyment out of figuring out where they are and how to catch them just like the many years I spent bass fishing .I’m not out there just to fill a cooler.
Wait you mean that on jordan you dont have to keep every keeper that you catch?
Wonders never cease. I thought that was a requirement. :)
Just playing crappie man, know several like you; but they too see the greedy taking more and smaller than the law allows.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I'm with this guy. I've fished Jordan for several years and have no problem with the current limits. About half the fish (or more) are 10" fish. Most of the shorts i catch are between 8 and 10. Hell, most of the time i fish other lakes for crappie i throw them back if they aren't 10".

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Support for both changes:

Jordan- 111 support, 62 oppose, 17 no position

Kerr- 117 support, 16 oppose, 22 no position

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Never had a problem with the 10" crappie size at Jordan. I personally think 20 per is just way to many per trip and I only keep maybe a dozen tops. That is just me though if people fish that much and want to clean them/ eat them all before they go bad have at it. I probably won't ever keep one below 10" but when does this take place?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Jordan Lake changes ultimately rejected. Kerr Lake changes passed

Last edited:

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Of the 44 proposed rule changes presented during public hearings in January, 43 were adopted. The one proposal that was not adopted would have removed the exception to the general statewide regulation for crappie in B. Everett Jordan Reservoir by reducing the minimum size limit from 10 inches to 8 inches (F10). This proposed change was designed align the size limit for crappie at Jordon Reservoir with other fishing waters across the state. After considering constituent feedback, wildlife commissioners opted to maintain the current 10-inch limit.

Good to know they actually listened to the concerned fishermen who contributed feedback opposing this proposal .