Joined another club

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have finally bit and joined the Northern Dismal. Now I'm going to have to go and figure my way around in there. It will be a learning curve for me and the hounds.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I hear ya bud! That club is huge, something like 30,000 acres isnt it?
I used the map that was sent to showing the property lines, to make a new map using Google maps. The map is at least close and the acreage off that map was over 37K acres. I know a guy that years ago got lost in there and ran out of gas, but he would get lost a lost anywhere. LOL

Decided to give it a try and see how I like it. Still in the other clubs too.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, I'm planning on hunting there also. I enjoy hunting there with the guys on Tuesdays and Thursday.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Poor hounds going to be hunted Monday, Wed. and Friday at the N. Dismal, Tues. Thursday at Gatlin and at home on Saturday. Dang I'll be broke and run down too. Good thing that will only happen for four weeks. LOL The rest of the hunting will be on Thurs.-Saturday. May have to take a break on Fridays.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
N. Dismal is a little ride for you isn’t it? Guy that lives close to me is in that club for the bear hunting.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
It takes just a little over an hour, hour and 1/4 at most. We drive 40-45 minutes now to Gatlin.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
PM Buckshot32182,he runs there about every weekend,I think he only lives a couple miles from it.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
50.00 a day.I took a Foxdog down that way to breed to a big time stud dog guy owns in Pinetown he's a member.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I
All weyheuser land I believe isn’t it?

I'm not sure about,I do know they where alot of bear doggers in it and if you didn't have access to the private land around it bear hunting the internal blocks is less productive due to bear numbers being less in those blocks and the amount of hunters trying to hunt them.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
All weyheuser land I believe isn’t it?
Yes for the most part. There is some that is owned by individuals, around the outsides from my understanding.

RJ, I have thought about talking to Buckshot32182.

Woodmoose, guest can come twice. My understanding is they have to ride with the member. Let me learn the place a little bit and you would be welcome.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Dang Treetall, I was hoping somebody could teach my hounds to cross those ditches. :LOL:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Daron, do they hunt as a club or can you hunt however you want?

I was just on the phone with a former member when I read your post,he said they did not considering how big it is and the number of members they have there could be as many as 10 to 12 groups dog hunting each day and as few as 3 to 4 going on what day of the week it is plus still hunters and bear hunters when the season is in. It would be interesting for them to surround 5 or 6 blocks and turn out a couple of hundred hounds at one time.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I was just on the phone with a former member when I read your post,he said they did not considering how big it is and the number of members they have there could be as many as 10 to 12 groups dog hunting each day and as few as 3 to 4 going on what day of the week it is plus still hunters and bear hunters when the season is in. It would be interesting for them to surround 5 or 6 blocks and turn out a couple of hundred hounds at one time.
That would be interesting. It would be like a field trial down a Hofmann Forest.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
One club, Gatlin, I hunt with will do this, on Saturdays. We will surround several blocks(1,000 to 2000 acres) part of a 5,000+ acre contiguous tract and cast 100 to 150 hounds. It's a great sound and exciting to be a stander, but it is not my preference for hunting my hounds. That many hounds can really cover some ground . It is more apt for my pack to get split up and wind up somewhere unwanted by me or someone else. N. Dismal would be better with all the room. A friend who has hunted there for several years told me the only time you usually have to worry about the dogs getting out and on a state road in when a pack goes through several groups hunting picking up all the hounds on the way. The one field trial I went to at Hofmann Forest was a roar. Almost 700 hounds cast. We picked up some over 10 miles away, on there way back in. LOL Everybody needs to experience that at least once!

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
6-8 good dogs in a well surrounded block is my favorite way to hunt. When you get too many dogs you have races running into one another, dogs running dogs, dogs in the road and the deer are usually running 90mph. Like Darron said, it’s those times you end up 10 miles away trying to get them back.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I've been interested in that club since I heard about it. I'd like to see the land if nothing else. Sounds like a good place to run

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterday was the first time I set foot on N. Dismal. We took 19 hounds. A 10 month old pup, 3 that just turned 1 year old. 2 of those not fully broke due to not having time to run them from either work, weather or turkey season. Most went across the ditch when we cast. Several went down the road, but hit a track about 500 yards down and went in. Both jumped and some how wound up in one pack, ran into each other. The 3 younger ones not broke got threw out of the race after about 45 minutes. They didn't want to cross the larger canals as they got behind. Out of the 16 that remained 2 grown dogs got thrown out after about an hour and a half. I think a one peeled of on her own and another got left after they picked up a check and didn't find where the others crossed a canal. She wanted to go but see didn't like the idea of crossing the canal. I don't know if is was where it is super thick around the canal or the water, maybe both. Note: none of these hounds were accustomed to the larger canals, I have been hunting them at Gatlin which is ditched. Those 14 other hounds, including one of the 1 year olds, Rocked for a good solid 3 hours in one pack. I was impressed by these those, fat and out of shape hounds. It stated to warm up a little and some were getting more tried than others so they eventually broke up. I still heard some good running for a couple hours. Then all of them where pooped. The deer came by me and they didn't need any persuasion to load. Well, after we loaded all of them. We had to get the 3 younger dogs that would not cross the larger canals. Luckily I found two large half rotten logs across the canal, I figured one looked fairly solid. The two that were close came to me calling, so a crossed the logs. I did not want to jump off the logs into the bushes, but after the dogs came all around the end of the logs, I didn't hear any rattle snakes and no dogs bitten I jumped down and put them on the logs. The first one fell off when part of the larger more rotten log peeled away , when he was almost at the other side. Lucky, he still when up the bank after he realized dig in with his claws and go. One was still left at a different location. She was 70' from me with a canal about 6' down to the water and about 10' foot across the water then up the other side. She left the place she was at went nearly 500 yards a couple times, but she finally realized I wanted here to come to a place where I could at least see hear on the other side. I was going to try and get her to fellow me down to a spot that was clearer and I might could cross. Well that was a no go. I called here back to the first spot. There was a slide but the canal was choked with bushes. When she got there, I handed my buddy my Alpha and glasses. I slid down into the canal and clawed up the other side. I held her as I slid back down the now wet bank. I made her swim the canal and go up the other side. Man! That stuff is slick after it gets wet. I drained my boots and we all came back home.

I had an awesome time. I don't think I have been that relaxed while running dogs on the outside in a couple decades. That was even with log trucks pulling down the road next to the block we were running.

Southside

Ten Pointer
DRS, in your last post you mentioned rattlesnakes. I was wandering about that down there. I've been told that they are plentiful in that area. Is it any more of a concern in that area than others?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
DRS, in your last post you mentioned rattlesnakes. I was wandering about that down there. I've been told that they are plentiful in that area. Is it any more of a concern in that area than others?

The bigger woods in the Eastern Counties do tend to have quite a few. I don't think there are more in the Northern Dismal than the other places. I do know the guys that have been hunting down there for a few years see them on a normal basis. They say they usually see at least one per trip. I know rattlesnakes tend to be more docile, more so like copperheads than cottonmouths. I'll just try to be cautious and not try to flat out step on one. Thinking about getting an adjustable walk board for crossing the canals. I already wear snake boots due to hunting some places wrapped up with cottonmouths and will likely get a pair of chaps snake proof to the waist, just in case. I have worked and hunted where there were suppose to be rattlesnakes before but never heard or seen any. Here, I'm told that is going to happen. Plenty of rabbits for them to eat. LOL