Snake Sightings?

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I seriously question that you've been exposed to 100 of them. "Skinny" is not a reliable identifier of any snake.
100 is probably conservative, I worked in the Great Dismal Swamp for 7 years. And yes skinny is a reliable identifier, when it comes to cottonmouths. I know you didn't keep a journal, but I am still curious about your personal experience with cottonmouths, as opposed to Google experience.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
100 is probably conservative, I worked in the Great Dismal Swamp for 7 years. And yes skinny is a reliable identifier, when it comes to cottonmouths. I know you didn't keep a journal, but I am still curious about your personal experience with cottonmouths, as opposed to Google experience.
Email it to a herp and lemme know how that works out. I’m not gonna do your research for you. I know what it is, you’re guessing that it’s “something” lol - please report back what they say

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't ask you to do any research for me. But am asking again about your personal cottomouth experiences, as opposed to internet based experience.
And you can keep asking - it’s been answered.
I can explain this for you but I can’t understand it for you.
Good grief….(edited to remove where I initially insinuated you may be a democrat - no matter how wrong you are, no one deserves those kinds of accusations)

Last edited:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
That's good, I'm sure this has been boring for the other forum members on this thread.

Not boring to me. I posted 2 pictures..1 show the markings of a cotton mouth, 2 shows a mouth shot. Same as the dead one. wncdeerhunter provided more evidence. While working in the Great swamp, did you hear that a raccoon only craps on a log over running water. Maybe the same guy who told you that provided insight on identifying snakes.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Ya I am going with cotton mouth. I have seen a bunch. The markings and shade can vary a bit. Unfortunately on my end of the island usually we see cotton mouths, copper heads, and rat snakes. In the water there are no shortages of banded water snakes. The number one way I show my kids the difference between a water snake and a moccasin is how they swim on or under the water. The moccasin will be on top as he swims, the banded water snake is under with his head above the water pushing. There are several variations of water snakes in NC I am told.
What island? Also, all snakes in the water can swim either on top of or under water with head above - that’s not a reliable identifier

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You have now.
Sorry but I'm seeing a picture that people are having differing opinions as to what it is. I still have never SEEN a cottonmouth in my life. I remember as a kid, people were always killing "a cottonmouth" around their place in Franklin Co. but I doubt that as well.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Roanoke isalnd. There are plenty of them around here. Pretty sure it’s a cotton mouth and I have never been to the dismal swamp but I have shopped in Chesapeake.🤣 I have seen plenty of cotton mouths in eastern Nc. I swear I saw a panther in Hyde co one morning but that’s a whole nother debate .

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Roanoke isalnd. There are plenty of them around here. Pretty sure it’s a cotton mouth and I have never been to the dismal swamp but I have shopped in Chesapeake.🤣 I have seen plenty of cotton mouths in eastern Nc. I swear I saw a panther in Hyde co one morning but that’s a whole nother debate .
For sure it is one. Just curious on location - thanks

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I would say a cotton mouth is generally fatter to length ratio than most snakes. If they are swimming and the body is up out of the water is another que, as is the triangular body. Not to mention triangular head skinny neck and sudden taper of the short tail.. You can always look into the eyes. Here all venomous snakes, except for a coral snake, will have vertical slit pupils, but that is just about getting to close, about like looking for the bar over the eye or white mouth open. The latter you done got to close. 🙄
Now that said some of our water snakes get really larger in diameter. IMO, just leave all of them alone and carry own. Especially, if you don't know what your dealing with. Here is some advice, about snakes, a friend gave his wife while frog gigging. You don't see snakes in tall grass. Later and afterward she ask why? His reply, " Because you can't see them ". 😂

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I would say a cotton mouth is generally fatter to length ratio than most snakes. If they are swimming and the body is up out of the water is another que, as is the triangular body. Not to mention triangular head skinny neck and sudden taper of the short tail.. You can always look into the eyes. Here all venomous snakes, except for a coral snake, will have vertical slit pupils, but that is just about getting to close, about like looking for the bar over the eye or white mouth open. The latter you done got to close. 🙄
Now that said some of our water snakes get really larger in diameter. IMO, just leave all of them alone and carry own. Especially, if you don't know what your dealing with. Here is some advice, about snakes, a friend gave his wife while frog gigging. You don't see snakes in tall grass. Later and afterward she ask why? His reply, " Because you can't see them ". 😂
Venomous snakes can also have dilated pupils appearing round. That is not a definitive identifier just on people shape alone3E73E922-4256-4C75-8629-8E882CA1DA41.jpeg

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
I would say a cotton mouth is generally fatter to length ratio than most snakes. If they are swimming and the body is up out of the water is another que, as is the triangular body. Not to mention triangular head skinny neck and sudden taper of the short tail.. You can always look into the eyes. Here all venomous snakes, except for a coral snake, will have vertical slit pupils, but that is about getting to close about like looking for the bar over the eye or white mouth open. The latter you done got to close. 🙄
Yep. Especially if they are in water swimming. They will always appear to be fatter cause they suck in air before they swim to make themselves be able to float better. I liken it to somebody tying pant legs together and putting air in them before they try to cross a body of water. But yea, Cottonmouths are generally fatter.

Reactions: DRS

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Shed its skin & hung around the same location against the house for several days. I suspect it was chowing down on slugs, often found in the Boxwoods. I came up w/ Dekays Brown Snake as ID.

Attachments

• 20230509_105320.jpg
    20230509_105320.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 32