Snake Sightings?

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Had about a 4' king snake startle me. I was in the shed grabbing stuff off of a shelf and he was curled up about eye level and blended in with some targets he was sitting on. Not sure who scared who more but he fell backwards off the shelf trying to get away from me about as fast as I did. He started heading under the rubber mat floor so I grabbed a hoe and pinned him down while I determined what to do next to keep him from going under the floor completely. Had to Google the pattern but once I found out he was a king snake and nonvenomous I let him be along his way.

This photo shows about half of him which is still sticking out.

PXL_20230420_151506845.jpg

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Had about a 4' king snake startle me. I was in the shed grabbing stuff off of a shelf and he was curled up about eye level and blended in with some targets he was sitting on. Not sure who scared who more but he fell backwards off the shelf trying to get away from me about as fast as I did. He started heading under the rubber mat floor so I grabbed a hoe and pinned him down while I determined what to do next to keep him from going under the floor completely. Had to Google the pattern but once I found out he was a king snake and nonvenomous I let him be along his way.

View attachment 115288
Looks like he was shedding.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer

View attachment 115288
He could stay in my shed or yard as long as he wants. That's a good snake

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
No pics but I’ve seen more around the house than ever. The pup seems to find little ones dead and about half rotten and brings them to the porch.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
He was a little close to home! Chalk another one up to the Ol’ rusty trusty shovel!

Attachments

• D6020517-002E-468F-8EDA-66990FE484F2.jpeg
    D6020517-002E-468F-8EDA-66990FE484F2.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 20F26380-F9C2-4C79-906C-AE8F952B9A61.jpeg
    20F26380-F9C2-4C79-906C-AE8F952B9A61.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 152

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This year I've seen a grand total of one...a rat snake...which is strange because having just timbered a little while back. I would have expected to start seeing a lot more copperheads, they're usually the most plentiful variety in these pines....

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
He could stay in my shed or yard as long as he wants. That's a good snake
I killed one a few years ago, while it was eating my baby wood duck or eggs. Biggest snake I have ever seen, it was huge. It was wrapped around the wood duck box with head section inside, and a hell of a lot of snake outside. He lived in a big brush pile I had created right next to the pond, but I still had copperheads in and around the water, so he was not doing his duty. Blew it in half with a shotgun while the head was inside the duck box. Have a picture somewhere, may not be able to find it.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I came across a black snake (no idea what kind) when I was squirrel hunting at @lasttombstone 's place in Granville County on May 11. We startled each other, then he slithered off and I kept on walking. He was laying so still in the shade, I didn't see him until he moved!

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Just asking. What did you think it was other than a snake
I had a better pic of the eyes and head but I am saying smaller cotton mouth. There are a bunch around my place in the marsh and swamp. On the water I can ID 100% from a banded water snake. I have also seen a fair amount of juvenile copper heads (neon tail) and a few big ones too. What are your thoughts?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I had a better pic of the eyes and head but I am saying smaller cotton mouth. There are a bunch around my place in the marsh and swamp. On the water I can ID 100% from a banded water snake. I have also seen a fair amount of juvenile copper heads (neon tail) and a few big ones too. What are your thoughts?
I had no idea. I don't think it was a copperhead. The color and markings just aren't right. I've never seen a cotton mouth that I know of so can't speak to that.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I had no idea. I don't think it was a copperhead. The color and markings just aren't right. I've never seen a cotton mouth that I know of so can't speak to that.

Initially I'm saying cotton mouth. Head..bandit eyes..white mouth..lookes like elliptical eyes. 2nd picture...you don't want non of me, boy. LolScreenshot_20230525-213238_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230525-213302_Google.jpg

Last edited:

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Ya I am going with cotton mouth. I have seen a bunch. The markings and shade can vary a bit. Unfortunately on my end of the island usually we see cotton mouths, copper heads, and rat snakes. In the water there are no shortages of banded water snakes. The number one way I show my kids the difference between a water snake and a moccasin is how they swim on or under the water. The moccasin will be on top as he swims, the banded water snake is under with his head above the water pushing. There are several variations of water snakes in NC I am told.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
No way, too skinny. I have encountered at least 100 cottonmouths, and that is not one. Many water snakes have whiteish mouths, so that may be throwing you off on this slim snake.
I’m not debating it or guessing - that is 100% a venomous cottonmouth, without a doubt. It has the black eye mask. pixelated pattern, hooded eyes, and….the mouth. I know my snakes.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m not debating it or guessing - that is 100% a venomous cottonmouth, without a doubt. It has the black eye mask. pixelated pattern, hooded eyes, and….the mouth. I know my snakes.
Where was your personal experience with cottonmouths? And are you referring to the snake pictured in post #70?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Where was your personal experience with cottonmouths? And are you referring to the snake pictured in post #70?
Post 70 is 100% a venomous cottonmouth. Based on your repeated misidentification, I seriously question that you've been exposed to 100 of them. It's not a guess. "Skinny" is not a reliable identifier of any snake. That is a venomous Cottonmouth. I've studied snakes for a long time, I'm a member of a snake ID group, and I've seen them in swamps and other bodies of water in multiple states.

You're wrong.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Post 70 is 100% a venomous cottonmouth. Based on your repeated misidentification, I seriously question that you've been exposed to 100 of them. It's not a guess. "Skinny" is not a reliable identifier of any snake. That is a venomous Cottonmouth. I've studied snakes for a long time, I'm a member of a snake ID group, and I've seen them in swamps and other bodies of water in multiple states.

You're wrong.
No, I'm right. So you are telling me you have personally encountered many cottonmouths up close? When, where?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
No, I'm right. So you are telling me you have personally encountered many cottonmouths up close? When, where?
Yes. Multiple times. I didn't keep a journal.

You look silly. That is, without a doubt, 100% cottonmouth confirmed with MULTIPLE reliable identifiers.

Feel free to send those photos to any herpetologist and please copy their response here.