2022 Taxes

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Pleasantly surprised I don't have to pay more than I do. Doubled my salary but per diem kept it just under another bracket for me.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Two incomes were always our cause of owing every year. Each employer withhold at lower rates because they only withhold based on their employee's income but when combined at tax time, our tax rate is at a higher rate than what rate it was withheld. Not sure what's going to happen next year since our income will drop a good bit with a full year of retirement.
Adjust your W4 as needed

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As another example of how bad the IRS sucks, it took them 6 weeks to send me paper forms ordered at their online website. I do mine on paper first and then wife types them into efile. Forms are no longer available at IRS offices, the libraries just carry basic ones. To get what I need the only option is to order them online to arrive via US mail. I did this on Jan 28, and within a week got a post card from IRS saying the forms were unavailable. Just got them in mail this week.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
As another example of how bad the IRS sucks, it took them 6 weeks to send me paper forms ordered at their online website. I do mine on paper first and then wife types them into efile. Forms are no longer available at IRS offices, the libraries just carry basic ones. To get what I need the only option is to order them online to arrive via US mail. I did this on Jan 28, and within a week got a post card from IRS saying the forms were unavailable. Just got them in mail this week.
You couldn't download and print what you need from their website? That's what I do. Every form should be available.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’m scared to send ours to the accountant, end up throwing up in my mouth a little when I get the total on what we owe. Guess it’s better then them sitting on our cash but still burns my azz at all they take.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You couldn't download and print what you need from their website? That's what I do. Every form should be available.
No, I also need the instructions and worksheets they contain, which are too big to print. The 1040 instructions are 112 pages, Schedule B is 3 pages, and Schedule D is 17. Too much for my little printer.

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
No, I also need the instructions and worksheets they contain, which are too big to print. The 1040 instructions are 112 pages, Schedule B is 3 pages, and Schedule D is 17. Too much for my little printer.
I agree the instructions are too much to print. I just download the forms and print those. Then pull up the instructions on the computer and work from there. You do what makes you comfortable and confident. If it works for you stick with it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was working an hourly job last year and catching some overtime here and there. Then I took a salary job…..and got taxed at a much higher rate. Hopefully the overtime and higher rate will even out. Seems everybody complains about giving the gov a free loan….but i dont mind seeing a check come in versus paid out.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes I haven’t changed them in 20 years always claim 0. This is the first time I have owed .
Do you make the same money now that you have made every year for the last 20. Same deductions etc.? Since taxes have not changed since 2018 then something else did to change what you owe at filing.

Do you make the same money now that you have made every year for the last 20. Same deductions etc.? Since taxes have not changed since 2018 then something else did to change what you owe at filing.
Yes I make a little more and one of my deductions graduated collage and moved out.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I just turned 34 and this is the first time ive ever had to pay... with that being said I made a lot more money last year due to commission. I will have to adjust my with holdings accordingly. Compared to some of you, I feel blessed. I owe 200 to state and 300 federal.

Asking for are friend..... can you claim Ukraine as a dependent????

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes I make a little more and one of my deductions graduated collage and moved out.
so there you go. losing a dependent and making more money (owing more tax) both add more taxable income and likely add up to the change you see. Nothing to do with who occupies the White House.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't understand all the uncertainty people seem to have over their taxes...that they alone control (withholdings).

Call me lazy, but we always get a check back (federal) and usually have to pay the state of NC a "little". I "might" look at this differently, if someone would tell me what the ROI is on the money I loan to the US Treasury for a few months is. We end up just sticking it in a vacation fund and roll.

so there you go. losing a dependent and making more money (owing more tax) both add more taxable income and likely add up to the change you see. Nothing to do with who occupies the White House.
So am I not paying more taxes on higher inflation not just income tax. Who is responsible for that? Let’s go Brandon!

Way to deflect. We were discussing your income tax filing and you having to pay vs getting a refund in the past.
Point being I am paying more taxes. I blame Biden voters. As far as income tax I will have to double check but I’m pretty sure standard deductions rose from last year, Which should have lowered my tax and offset the deduction loss.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I just turned 34 and this is the first time ive ever had to pay... with that being said I made a lot more money last year due to commission. I will have to adjust my with holdings accordingly. Compared to some of you, I feel blessed. I owe 200 to state and 300 federal.

Asking for are friend..... can you claim Ukraine as a dependent????
We all should be able to claim that one