Golfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So, you DO watch them.

Interesting.
All those “great” players couldn’t beat Charles Howell III including Cameron Smith…lol. DJ finished 35th out of 48 players. One team finished over Par. The last place player was 23 over par…lol. Yea they are a real threat to the PGA. What was your quote PGA is playing checkers and Norman is playing chess….:ROFLMAO:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All those “great” players couldn’t beat Charles Howell III including Cameron Smith…lol. DJ finished 35th out of 48 players. One team finished over Par. The last place player was 23 over par…lol. Yea they are a real threat to the PGA. What was your quote PGA is playing checkers and Norman is playing chess….:ROFLMAO:
When they get OWG ranking points, you'll see who was right. ;)

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When they get OWG ranking points, you'll see who was right. ;)

They won’t with their current format, they can get if playing outside their tournaments no problem with that. But they won’t ever get them for playing in their 54 hole events with a 48 man field. Plus if you can’t win in that watered down field it’s a testament to how lazy they are getting. We will see how good their field does at the Masters.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
Where was Lefty, Sergio, DeCham, Reed, and Bubba last week. Hardly will ever get any points playing like that. Cam Smith was the only player I saw acyually finish. Yeah Charles Howell has won a ton of money on PGA Tour but no many afraid of him now

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They won’t with their current format, they can get if playing outside their tournaments no problem with that. But they won’t ever get them for playing in their 54 hole events with a 48 man field. Plus if you can’t win in that watered down field it’s a testament to how lazy they are getting. We will see how good their field does at the Masters.
Again.....my point buzzed you like an F-14.

THE reason I said Norman was playing chess is.....when the OWGR comes back with a list of criteria (if they do) that states why LIV doesn't qualify for OWGR points.....he'll just remove all barriers by acquiescing to their list. We'll find out REALLY QUICKLY if it's just about meeting criteria....OR, if the PGA Tour really wants to block them from EVER receiving OWGR points.

So I'll ask you again....if LIV changes their format.....what will be your reason for wanting them ostracized, still?

ALL they want is to be able to gain OWGR points...so that they can qualify for the majors. ALL the PGA Tour wants (and those blindly doing their bidding) is for them to be denied OWGR points....AT ANY COST....because receiving OWGR points is the last power the PGA Tour holds over them. If LIV golfers gain OWGR points, they are instantly legitimized and a MUCH greater threat to the PGA Tour.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So if they change their format then what would’ve been the reason most left to begin with? Plus I’m sure the contracts state 54 hole events/team format. So given they are 3 year contracts what kind of can of worms will that open? Plus how do you assign points in a week after week field of such a small pool of golfers with the majority sitting outside of 150th in rankings.
You think all those who signed up for a less stress environment with 54 hole events will magically be OK going to 72 hole events? Plus they’d have to open up the field to allow more player participation. You assume these contracts they signed can be changed at will. I see no way if they changed their format it would work with a 48 man guaranteed field anyway. They will and should garner points for any normal event they play in outside of the Towel Head Tour.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So if they change their format then what would’ve been the reason most left to begin with? Plus I’m sure the contracts state 54 hole events/team format. So given they are 3 year contracts what kind of can of worms will that open? Plus how do you assign points in a week after week field of such a small pool of golfers with the majority sitting outside of 150th in rankings.
You think all those who signed up for a less stress environment with 54 hole events will magically be OK going to 72 hole events? Plus they’d have to open up the field to allow more player participation. You assume these contracts they signed can be changed at will. I see no way if they changed their format it would work with a 48 man guaranteed field anyway. They will and should garner points for any normal event they play in outside of the Towel Head Tour.

lol

The PGA Tour......doing just about everything you hate LIV for doing.......EXCEPT.....they'll still get their OWGR points for THEIR events.

I despise the hypocrisy.....and the attempt by the PGA Tour to exclude. I'm not a fan of LIV, per se. I just despise the hypocrisy.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
James Hahn (PGA Tour member/veteran) reiterates what I don't like about what the PGA Tour is doing these days.

1678125076735.png

bte0816

Eight Pointer

lol

The PGA Tour......doing just about everything you hate LIV for doing.......EXCEPT.....they'll still get their OWGR points for THEIR events.

I despise the hypocrisy.....and the attempt by the PGA Tour to exclude. I'm not a fan of LIV, per se. I just despise the hypocrisy.
Is the PGA Tour the governing body for OWGR points?

bte0816

Eight Pointer
No, but the commissioner (Monahan) and the DP World Tour commissioner (Pelley) are on the board of the OWGR.

More of one hand feeding the other.
There are 5 other board members that could over ride those two if they pleased. Only need 4 votes for the majority and the USGA CEO, R&A CEO, PGA of America CEO and Augusta National Executive Director are all on the board. LIV players are welcome in each of their respective majors so If they wanted them to have OWGR points I don't think it should be an issue overruling Monahan and Pelley.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are 5 other board members that could over ride those two if they pleased. Only need 4 votes for the majority and the USGA CEO, R&A CEO, PGA of America CEO and Augusta National Executive Director are all on the board. LIV players are welcome in each of their respective majors so If they wanted them to have OWGR points I don't think it should be an issue overruling Monahan and Pelley.
So, do you think the influence of the DP World Tour and the PGA Tour stops at Pelley and Monahan's vote on this issue?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. They're already going to recuse themselves from any vote (on LIV).

bte0816

Eight Pointer
So, do you think the influence of the DP World Tour and the PGA Tour stops at Pelley and Monahan's vote on this issue?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. They're already going to recuse themselves from any vote (on LIV).
Oh sure they have pull, no doubt about that. But they didn't have enough pull to get the LIV players "banned" from the majors (at least not yet). And I know Augusta, The Open and US Open at the least like to remind the world that the PGA doesn't control them.

I'm just saying that the votes are there if everyone other than those two wanted OWGR points for LIV players.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea he wants a call from Norman
No. He's pointing out the hypocrisy in what the PGA Tour is doing (which has been my issue all along). It's going to allow the rich to get richer (let's just say OWGR points are currency.....because hey....they are). ALl they have ot do is show up....and they get paid and garner points.

Meritocracy!!

lol

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh sure they have pull, no doubt about that. But they didn't have enough pull to get the LIV players "banned" from the majors (at least not yet). And I know Augusta, The Open and US Open at the least like to remind the world that the PGA doesn't control them.

I'm just saying that the votes are there if everyone other than those two wanted OWGR points for LIV players.
"at least not yet"

Great point. Now, all they have to do is wait them out....because, if they can't get points...they can obstensibly ban them.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
"at least not yet"

Great point. Now, all they have to do is wait them out....because, if they can't get points...they can obstensibly ban them.
I still think LIV guys should have OWGR points b/c some of the best in the world are there. But, at some point isn't it a consequence of their own actions?

LIV guys knew going in that the tour was not on the OWGR list and that there was a possibility that they would never get OWGR points. They weighed the risk (losing OWGR Points, being banned from PGA events they had previously qualified for, hell, even losing the champions parking space at the Players vs that fat load of money they get from signing with LIV.

They didn't like the way the PGA and European Tours were doing business so they took their ball and started something new. Now it seems they are complaining because they aren't allowed the benefits (OWGR Points) of playing for a preexisting league.

They took their ball and went home, now they are there alone.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still think LIV guys should have OWGR points b/c some of the best in the world are there. But, at some point isn't it a consequence of their own actions?

LIV guys knew going in that the tour was not on the OWGR list and that there was a possibility that they would never get OWGR points. They weighed the risk (losing OWGR Points, being banned from PGA events they had previously qualified for, hell, even losing the champions parking space at the Players vs that fat load of money they get from signing with LIV.

They didn't like the way the PGA and European Tours were doing business so they took their ball and started something new. Now it seems they are complaining because they aren't allowed the benefits (OWGR Points) of playing for a preexisting league.

They took their ball and went home, now they are there alone.
But why would they feel they might be treated any differently than any other start-up tour? I would argue that their current product is the second-best lineup of players on any tour. Why WOULDN'T they expect to get OWGR points? Sure. They may need to change a few format rules, but I think they knew that all along.

The PGA Tour has NEVER had a rival. Never. The way they're acting makes that apparent.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No. He's pointing out the hypocrisy in what the PGA Tour is doing (which has been my issue all along). It's going to allow the rich to get richer (let's just say OWGR points are currency.....because hey....they are). ALl they have ot do is show up....and they get paid and garner points.

Meritocracy!!

lol

He is begging for Norman to make a call, he needs to quit whining and put his big boy pants on and win.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
But why would they feel they might be treated any differently than any other start-up tour? I would argue that their current product is the second-best lineup of players on any tour. Why WOULDN'T they expect to get OWGR points? Sure. They may need to change a few format rules, but I think they knew that all along.

The PGA Tour has NEVER had a rival. Never. The way they're acting makes that apparent.
How many other start up tours have there been that failed? Seems like LIV is pretty successful compared to previous attempts at new tours. It will be interesting to see how long the zero revenue model can last though. What happens when the Saudi's get bored or find a shiny new toy to distract them from golf?

LIV wanted something different because they didn't like the way the PGA was handling things. So they left and started their own gig. They really don't have a leg to stand on now complaining that the PGA isn't supporting them. They want all the benefits of being a PGA player without being a PGA player. The choice was stay with PGA and know what you are going to get or take the risk to go to a new tour and have lots of unknows. At this point they f'd around and are now finding out.

Is LIV even doing anything to try to get OWGR points or do they just like maintaining the talking point that they are the 2nd best tour but don't get OWGR points? LIV does a lot of things that may not make sense just to stay in the headlines. It's a free market, if the LIV product is better the pressure will be on the OWGR. It's no one's job but LIV to justify they deserve the points and argue their own case. Complaining that it's not fair just sounds like a spoiled child that doesn't want to put in the work to make things happen. Nobody in this world will advocate for you except you. It's not easy, work harder.

LIV started a tour maybe they should start their own rankings system, if it's better then it will become the standard. I remember people saying 25 years ago that the internet was a novelty that would never take off or really impact day to day life. Yet here we are.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How many other start up tours have there been that failed? Seems like LIV is pretty successful compared to previous attempts at new tours. It will be interesting to see how long the zero revenue model can last though. What happens when the Saudi's get bored or find a shiny new toy to distract them from golf?

LIV wanted something different because they didn't like the way the PGA was handling things. So they left and started their own gig. They really don't have a leg to stand on now complaining that the PGA isn't supporting them. They want all the benefits of being a PGA player without being a PGA player. The choice was stay with PGA and know what you are going to get or take the risk to go to a new tour and have lots of unknows. At this point they f'd around and are now finding out.

Is LIV even doing anything to try to get OWGR points or do they just like maintaining the talking point that they are the 2nd best tour but don't get OWGR points? LIV does a lot of things that may not make sense just to stay in the headlines. It's a free market, if the LIV product is better the pressure will be on the OWGR. It's no one's job but LIV to justify they deserve the points and argue their own case. Complaining that it's not fair just sounds like a spoiled child that doesn't want to put in the work to make things happen. Nobody in this world will advocate for you except you. It's not easy, work harder.

LIV started a tour maybe they should start their own rankings system, if it's better then it will become the standard. I remember people saying 25 years ago that the internet was a novelty that would never take off or really impact day to day life. Yet here we are.
Why does it matter to anyone other than the people financing the league.....whether they think it can be successful or not?

They are not complaining that the PGA Tour isn't supporting them. They're concerned that the PGA Tour is colluding to squash them (illegally).

LIV has submitted for OWGR points. They'll react when their assessment is returned. Nothing out of the ordinary, so far, other than other tours receiving OWGR points who've submitted after them.

They can't work any harder than they have. That's not accurate.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
They either will get the points or not. Unfortunately World Golf Ranking points are not guaranteed by god (or allah in LIV case). The players left tours that had points for a tour that doesn't. If OWGR points aren't granted to LIV well that's just what it is.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They either will get the points or not. Unfortunately World Golf Ranking points are not guaranteed by god (or allah in LIV case). The players left tours that had points for a tour that doesn't. If OWGR points aren't granted to LIV well that's just what it is.
No. It's not (just what it is).

IMO, if they don't get granted points, they'll ask "what would we have to do to start garnering them, immediately"?

After that, it's either giddy-up or collusion lawsuit time.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
No. It's not (just what it is).

IMO, if they don't get granted points, they'll ask "what would we have to do to start garnering them, immediately"?

After that, it's either giddy-up or collusion lawsuit time.
I'm excited for the future lawsuit. Discovery should be very fun, on both sides.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm excited for the future lawsuit. Discovery should be very fun, on both sides.
What would you imagine they could discover on the LIV side?

I would agree that discovery on the PGA Tour side would be interesting. This will be a collusion issue.....and there's no way it hasn't occurred.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
What would you imagine they could discover on the LIV side?

I would agree that discovery on the PGA Tour side would be interesting. This will be a collusion issue.....and there's no way it hasn't occurred.
I can imagine there could be lots on the LIV side. I won't speculate, but there will be a court case so we will see. Sure there is PGA collusion, we will just find out if they were dumb enough to put it in email and text.

If I ran the OWGR I would grant LIV points today. I would also set up the system so that awarded points have a multiplier based on field size, strength and # of holes played. Then I would dare them to sue again, make them prove the smaller field playing less holes deserves the same # of points as the Players. Sure they deserve points but probably closer to what is earned at the Honda or John Deere.

Status
Not open for further replies.