Purple Martins

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
“Mine” have not showed up yet but I did see a lone tree swallow last week doing what they do best, running the bluebirds out of my bluebird houses…………..

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Do you guys have housing built for the Martin's? If so do you maybe have plans on building that you'd share? I would love to build some like I've seen that uses a boat winch to lower and raise them. I've always wanted Martin's around the house I've read that they eat an enormous amount of mosquitoes.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you guys have housing built for the Martin's? If so do you maybe have plans on building that you'd share? I would love to build some like I've seen that uses a boat winch to lower and raise them. I've always wanted Martin's around the house I've read that they eat an enormous amount of mosquitoes.

The ones we have around the pond have collapsible poles so they can be lowered for cleaning. Release and lower by the 4 sections until I can reach to open the sides to remove old nesting. And yes, they take out LOTS of flying bugs.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Guybo , google S&K Mfg. they have gourds and the poles with the winch you need. Think the gourds are like $13 the ones use. Not to late to put them up but you need to act fast. I now have 10 that has showed up at my place. Mine been coming for several years now....have 2 poles with 12 gourds on each pole. Last year I had over 40 martins and getting more each year. Will probably put up another pole next year. I have a book on them....they winter each year in Brazil and this has been the earliest this year I have seen them. Love to hear them while sitting on my front porch each morning having my coffee and the late afternoon when coming in to roost for the night. I can go to my mailbox to get the mail, and they will swoop down inches off my head letting me know you getting too close. Interesting birds for sure.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Guybo , google S&K Mfg. they have gourds and the poles with the winch you need. Think the gourds are like $13 the ones use. Not to late to put them up but you need to act fast. I now have 10 that has showed up at my place. Mine been coming for several years now....have 2 poles with 12 gourds on each pole. Last year I had over 40 martins and getting more each year. Will probably put up another pole next year. I have a book on them....they winter each year in Brazil and this has been the earliest this year I have seen them. Love to hear them while sitting on my front porch each morning having my coffee and the late afternoon when coming in to roost for the night. I can go to my mailbox to get the mail, and they will swoop down inches off my head letting me know you getting too close. Interesting birds for sure.

Be next week before I can put it up and will 30’ from a house and 20’ from a power line be ok. Its at the beach and guy near me has tons every year. It’s the only place I have that’s pretty open.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I don't know without seeing the site, have seen them at the beach.....I just know they like open spaces, pond near by for water, and will use the power line near by. All of these are on my site and according to others sites I have seen that are conductive to drawing them. Mine is across the road from my house and traffic and when they first came years ago the cars passing would bother them, but after few days they got use to them and all is well. That is how I know they are the same birds that raised there last year because when they arrive each year the car traffic does not bother them. Just watch for starlings trying to build in the gourds and coopers hawks trying to catch them off guard.....they will run them down and catch them. I have a remedy for that but it is not for everyone. Good luck.