2023 Fresh Water Catch

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Post your 2023 Fresh Water Catch here.
Please post all the details you would like or not like.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Well, now I don't feel so bad...I went to Badin yesterday, tried to fish for crappie and got skunked!!! :fishing:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It was not the fun I hoped it would be lol. Badin was probably a lot more fishable than where I was. High water that is diarrhea colored is not very good this time of the year.
Yep
Talked to a friend that was catching them nicely yesterday morning. No telling what he caught in the afternoon
But the lake he was in has some decent water not blowed out by the recent rain.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Yep
Talked to a friend that was catching them nicely yesterday morning. No telling what he caught in the afternoon
But the lake he was in has some decent water not blowed out by the recent rain.

I know they were chewing somewhere. The water temp was right along with the wind, weather and moon. If we had not gotten the flood on Wednesday where I went would’ve been awesome because the water was already dirty. But, such is life. Should’ve gone spotted bass fishing but couldn’t get that idea of catching a giant during that warm window out of my mind.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
hows that live scoping working out?
I know they are wearing them out now on bigger lakes just wondering if it's a factor for you.

It’s a major factor in clear water and deep water. We wouldn’t have caught but maybe a 1/3 of what we caught without it tuesday. Back during the fall it didn’t matter because we had low water and all the fish were up on the bank. I try to leave all the electronics off when I’m fishing shallow. But when they’re off the bank, suspended or just deep it is a great tool. It’s only good if you know how to get them to bite though. Finding them is easy most of the time but if one doesn’t know how to get bit in clear water I could see where it would be very frustrating. I’ve seen so many people fishing around catching nothing while we are steadily putting them in the boat. It is amazing though as to how many fish just sit out over nothing and roam/suspend. That big largemouth I caught was sitting about 15 foot deep over 35 foot of water by himself.

Also, I have found that fish in certain lakes react completely different to it than in other lakes and spots react different than largemouth.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It’s a major factor in clear water and deep water. We wouldn’t have caught but maybe a 1/3 of what we caught without it tuesday. Back during the fall it didn’t matter because we had low water and all the fish were up on the bank. I try to leave all the electronics off when I’m fishing shallow. But when they’re off the bank, suspended or just deep it is a great tool. It’s only good if you know how to get them to bite though. Finding them is easy most of the time but if one doesn’t know how to get bit in clear water I could see where it would be very frustrating. I’ve seen so many people fishing around catching nothing while we are steadily putting them in the boat. It is amazing though as to how many fish just sit out over nothing and roam/suspend. That big largemouth I caught was sitting about 15 foot deep over 35 foot of water by himself.

Also, I have found that fish in certain lakes react completely different to it than in other lakes and spots react different than largemouth.
yeah most of what we thought we knew about bass is being revised by electronic "truth."
They are slamming them at jordan and badin - big ones.
At the duke game last night I spent most of the game getting educated. My source is the factory rep for war eagle and Phoenix boats and a pretty good tourney angler himself.
There wasnt much to see in the game until the last ten minutes. LOL

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
yeah most of what we thought we knew about bass is being revised by electronic "truth."
They are slamming them at jordan and badin - big ones.
At the duke game last night I spent most of the game getting educated. My source is the factory rep for war eagle and Phoenix boats and a pretty good tourney angler himself.
There wasnt much to see in the game until the last ten minutes. LOL

Yeah I’ve been paying attention to what it’s taking to win in both places. But it’s very top heavy. When only a few people weigh in limits it’s not slamming them to me and that happens a lot at both places.

One thing I’ve found on largemouth lakes is how they relate to the bottom in cold water much more than I thought. Before FFS I really thought they suspended more but so far this winter I haven’t found that to be very true. Every fish I’ve caught on a jerkbait that I have seen on ffs has come surging up off the bottom. There are suspended fish but not noticing them nearly as much as I did during late summer and fall. It’s interesting to see how they react to certain things though.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I’ve been paying attention to what it’s taking to win in both places. But it’s very top heavy. When only a few people weigh in limits it’s not slamming them to me and that happens a lot at both places.

One thing I’ve found on largemouth lakes is how they relate to the bottom in cold water much more than I thought. Before FFS I really thought they suspended more but so far this winter I haven’t found that to be very true. Every fish I’ve caught on a jerkbait that I have seen on ffs has come surging up off the bottom. There are suspended fish but not noticing them nearly as much as I did during late summer and fall. It’s interesting to see how they react to certain things though.
Oh these ain’t tournament catches. Just fishing every decent day.
And there deal is dead opposite yours. All of their deal is suspended.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 108850

Bought a new bass snatcher for the local flows today. I have wanted one of these boats for quite some time. There will probably be some pictures in the catch thread this year from this boat!

A buddy of mine had one of these on the lake growing up. We caught a ton of fish on it. Was always fun and always funny since we both had larger boats. Never understood why his dad bought it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 108850

Bought a new bass snatcher for the local flows today. I have wanted one of these boats for quite some time. There will probably be some pictures in the catch thread this year from this boat!
if you have a good small tin you aint gonna like this thing. I have a buddy who is lterally deformed from having to "fish sideways" in those hooky seats.
Two fishermen in this thing is at worse two too many - at best one.
Meanwhile the casting angles obtainable from a rear mounted trolling motor being pulled backwards on a tin boat are incredible.
Limit yourself to one trip a month in this thing to keep your posture and shoulders and back in sync. :)

can you tell i hate them? LOL
Good Luck with yours - teach that boy to maneuver you around asap.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
if you have a good small tin you aint gonna like this thing. I have a buddy who is lterally deformed from having to "fish sideways" in those hooky seats.
Two fishermen in this thing is at worse two too many - at best one.
Meanwhile the casting angles obtainable from a rear mounted trolling motor being pulled backwards on a tin boat are incredible.
Limit yourself to one trip a month in this thing to keep your posture and shoulders and back in sync. :)

can you tell i hate them? LOL
Good Luck with yours - teach that boy to maneuver you around asap.

I have the widest 12 foot jon made and I love fishing out it. But, there are places that I can’t really fish like I want to without having a small boat that I can roll or carry so that’s why I got it. I’ve never sat in a bass hunter on the water but it feels pretty good just sitting on it on land. I may hate it……I’m excited to use it this summer though.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
DD757CCA-FDAF-42D4-ADBC-BD250572D9C5.jpeg21A87076-166E-4E49-A1BE-588AA2F6A1B8.jpeg

Beat up on the spotted dogs yesterday with the live scope. Most were just random roaming suspended fish on flats that came on a shakey head. Amazing how far those fish can pick up on a bait hitting the water. Had fish swim from well over 30-40 feet at times to eat.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I tried ice fishing....... ONCE. That was all it took for me to realize that what the northern folks call a "nice one" is what we southern boys call "bait". Way too much creaking, cracking and crap shifting under my boots for me to have a good time. I did invent a new game that day, I call it "sitting on the bank with a nice fire and drinking JD straight out of the bottle"...... I enjoyed THAT......

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
These were caught prefishing a tourney Monday. Of course I couldn’t follow it up tourny day and had to settle for 5th
😒

931E3A67-1085-4B01-8CA2-3B478E4C5EE6.jpeg595DD0DE-B555-4A53-9396-A1C0B0585C09.jpegB59A4373-9A55-44FE-B5B0-2F3DE2165A63.jpegCAA0B228-377E-4CAA-B861-D7C8F2D8932E.jpeg

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I crappie fished for the first time this year on Saturday. Only caught 12-13. Most were 9-10 inches with a couple of bigger ones mixed in. Kept 9 to have for supper. I had to mount my spider rigging rod holders Saturday morning before going. This is the first time I have spider rigged out of the Ranger. Also first time spider rigging while using the Livescope. I approached Saturday like a scrimmage game. Just getting everything ready for the season. Pretty productive day in my book. Now let the games begin.