On this day in 1963

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I wasn't born yet, but I've since walked the area where it happened and it felt like I had been there. A product of the endless broadcasts of the event.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I had graduated high school in the spring so at eighteen I thought nothing could shake me. Wrong, it was one of those days where you never forget where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news. That and 9-11 truly shook us to our very core.

When you stand there and look at the spot and sort of relive it in your mind you realize that it wasn't that long of a shot.

Last edited:

Hoss

Eight Pointer
I was eight playing basketball when the report came over the intercom at La Grange elementary.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I was just a twinkle in daddys eye then too, but i too have been there and stood in the window where oswald supposed to have shot JFK from....hard to believe he pulled it off....

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I checked it out several years back, including the window in the Book Depository. As far as the shooting, I think any 12 year old with a few weeks of rifle shooting under his belt could have easily pulled it off. From the window the "target" was basically going away from the shooter so no lead was required. The "target" was just getting smaller and the distance was not very far, maybe 100 yards at the most. Meh...

Last edited:

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you get a chance, check out the Sixth Floor Museum. It'll take about half a day or so to get through, but it's very interesting if you're into that sort of thing. I've been a few times. They also have a neat online exhibit if you can't get out there.

ol bob

Six Pointer
Of all things I was buying a gun when it happened, news came over a ham radio, about 30 min. before the reg. news.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
To show my age I was in high school when it happened, and heard the announcement over intercom while in study hall. And I remember watching the Kennedy - Nixon debate on a black/white TV. A good book on this subject is Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. I was also watching live when Osward got shot. A good book on that subject is Kennedy's Avenger by Dan Abrams and David Fisher.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I was born 4 days before it happened. My dad saved the newspaper reporting it for me. Sure wish Democrats were more like JFK nowadays. Still wouldn’t vote for them, but at least they wouldn’t be bat**** crazy.
My daughter was also born 4 days before it happened. She was in an incubator in the base hospital and I was on my way home from the airbase to pick my wife up and bring her back to watch that little piece of humanity through a plate glass wall when I got the news. Even though I evolved into a conservative, I had worked in Kennedy's campaign while in high school.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I was almost 3 at the time. I remember my mother standing there watching TV, ironing clothes, and crying. My older brother was asking "What's wrong Momma?" . She told us something bad had happened to the president. I suppose I still don't understand.

Jim