Do you have a deer hunting partner?

Cornbread

Eight Pointer
Does anybody else deer hunt with a family member or friend. I thought about that this morning just had me curious. My hunting partner is my dad. I’m 41 and he is 68 and we have been hunting every season together since I turned 7. 80-90 percent of the deer I have killed he has been somewhere on the same property hunting with me. We had a conversation this morning on our way to our hunting property about of all the deer we have killed together we have not simultaneously killed a buck on the same hunt, well this morning at 7:15 I seen a ugly cull 5 pointer that I passed on, It was a deer I normally wouldn’t shoot. At 8:55 I heard a shot in the distance that sounded like from the direction my dad would be in a tree, I text him was that you and he said yes decent buck on the ground, I had doe’s all around me all morning. At 9:05 the 5 point came back by checking a scrape and for memory sake I put the crosshairs on his neck and he dropped. I got an immediate text did you get him. I don’t think I have ever seen him so excited and it was a great and a memory I will keep a long time 2BFE850D-F5F1-4DC0-A440-DDE499921CE5.jpeg

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
That’s awesome man I’m glad you have been able to hunt with your dad. To answer your question I do not have a deer hunting partner per say but I do hunt on a property with a little group of friends that are available if I need some assistance. We kinda just do our own thing but will help each other track or drag out if needed. I grew up hunting with my father and brother. We lost dad in 2018 but I was able to carry him on a hunt in 2017, he missed a good deer that evening but I was super thankful for the opportunity to carry him in his declining health. My brother text me out of the blue a few weeks ago and said he wanted to go deer hunting with me. He got married had kids and just let hunting go for a while, it is what it is. It will be the first time we’ve hunted together in atleast 10 years so I’m looking forward to our after thanksgiving hunt. Here’s a pic of my hunting partner on our last hunt together…884D22AB-87EF-462E-9BE7-147CC5C1EEB4.jpeg

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Mostly my dad. He’s not an avid hunter. Honestly I think he just tolerates it so he can come along. Over the years I’ve had a hunting partners come and go, but in the end my Dad is always there. We don’t see eye to eye on anything but that’s fine. Sadly I have not had the chance to hunt with him a single time this year.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt solo most of the time, because I have easy (daily) access to the hunt area.

But my son comes out on (most) Saturdays during ML and firearm season.

It's good, and soon I will be entertaining the oldest grandson.

But I would welcome the opportunity to hunt with another old guy, once in a while. An old guy that didn't mind camping and roughing it....

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use to have 2. My brother and my dad. Hunted with both of them since 1988. Started taking my little brother in 1989 when he was 12.
They are both gone now.
I am the Last of The Mohicans.
Enjoy your time with your Pop.
Congrats to you both.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My daughter hunts with me, she is coming along pretty good, she's my buddy...

Adult wise, I only have one hunting partner. We were talking the other day and realized that we had been hunting together coming up on 20 years. Met right here on this forum.

He never leaves me hanging, he is never late, he has NEVER put me in an unsafe position or muzzled me with a firearm. He always brings something to the mix, we have a ball and he makes me laugh, we have seen half of America together and if I needed him any time of day or night he'd be there. Solid as a friggin' rock.
@turkeyfoot is the man, turkey hunting legend and one hell of a friend.

It is sad that some days when we are way out away from the truck on some god forsaken mountain that we realize that it wont always be this way. Getting older and them ol mountains get a little steeper. But we'll go til we die or die trying . 👍🏼

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hunted up in PA with friends. deer hunted on my friends family Christmas tree farm. Only 1 other non family member was welcome to hunt. Had another buddy I hunted everything else with.
Solo here in the south. Not as fun and a hell of alot more work without friends.
I guess I should be nicer to people...🤣

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
My dad passed when I was 20 and I'm now 67...Up until about 4 years ago, we had 3 family farms in Gates County (when my Mom passed, we sold all 3)...I had 2 buddies I took there for 25+ years...Until a month ago, I quit hunting, I have been back to a favorite spot in the Uwharries a couple of times, alone...I envy you guys that still have your dads to take...

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
Son and dad (Zach’s grandpa on here), and Banjo from here.
Dad and I have been doing this for 40 plus years and have doubled several times.
At 77 he’s still dropping them so hopefully we have more years to come.
Here is a pic of nearly 300 inches of bone from one cold morning in Caswell back in 2018

Attachments

• 3F1572A2-7196-4C4C-82F4-F86366992EF6.jpeg
    3F1572A2-7196-4C4C-82F4-F86366992EF6.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 77

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My daughter hunts with me, she is coming along pretty good, she's my buddy...

Adult wise, I only have one hunting partner. We were talking the other day and realized that we had been hunting together coming up on 20 years. Met right here on this forum.

He never leaves me hanging, he is never late, he has NEVER put me in an unsafe position or muzzled me with a firearm. He always brings something to the mix, we have a ball and he makes me laugh, we have seen half of America together and if I needed him any time of day or night he'd be there. Solid as a friggin' rock.
@turkeyfoot is the man, turkey hunting legend and one hell of a friend.

It is sad that some days when we are way out away from the truck on some god forsaken mountain that we realize that it wont always be this way. Getting older and them ol mountains get a little steeper. But we'll go til we die or die trying . 👍🏼
Even if you hadn’t tagged him, I woulda known exactly who you were talking about. One of the most solid men I’ve ever met.