Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
As a weather nerd I watch seasonal forecast but don't out much stock in them. This hurricane season was suppose to be a blockbuster and has been nothing but lackluster. Lots of speculation on what's causing it. One big factor has been the amount of mid level dry air. Then there's these types of things pique my interest as well.

Then there is also the thought that NO ONE can predict how active a season will be months before it gets here.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Then there is also the thought that NO ONE can predict how active a season will be months before it gets here.
Yeah long range predictions are certainly not reliable because there will.always be real.time features that the models.cant depict very well. SAL has been persistent and stronger than anyone thought this year

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It is quite amazing to me how we have had tropical storm type rain three weeks in a row and no tropical storm. I hope it rains 10 inches a week every week the rest of the year

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
It is quite amazing to me how we have had tropical storm type rain three weeks in a row and no tropical storm. I hope it rains 10 inches a week every week the rest of the year
Here in the east we are just waiting for rain. We get enough every few days to keep everything from going totally crunchy but pond levels are way down and the airport reporting station is 9 inches behind for the year.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Here in the east we are just waiting for rain. We get enough every few days to keep everything from going totally crunchy but pond levels are way down and the airport reporting station is 9 inches behind for the year.
I wish we could trade places. It's unreal the amount of rain we get in the middle of the state. We have turned into a tropical rain forrest with non stop monsoon season for the past 6 years.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I wish we could trade places. It's unreal the amount of rain we get in the middle of the state. We have turned into a tropical rain forrest with non stop monsoon season for the past 6 years.
Yeah been the opposite here. This pond dropped in the spring and the grass grew on the exposed new ground. Then July we had some rain and it held steady. It has been dropping rapidly again the last 2 or 3 weeks and is now a good 3 - 4 below normal with a bunch of newly exposed bottom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220910-141655_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220910-141655_Gallery.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 19

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah been the opposite here. This pond dropped in the spring and the grass grew on the exposed new ground. Then July we had some rain and it held steady. It has been dropping rapidly again the last 2 or 3 weeks and is now a good 3 - 4 below normal with a bunch of newly exposed bottom.
Every pond and water shed here in guilford/alamance/forsyth is well above normal, muddy and rolling and has been most of the time all summer.

timber

Twelve Pointer
It’s just bone dry here. We could use 3 or so inches spread out over several days. But so far not a drop today. Corn yields are hurt because of earlier drought everything else was looking good once we got a few showers. Now several weeks of sun an no rain cotton peanuts and beans are suffering. Saw some peanuts this morning where the tops were dark brown. That’s not good being just a few weeks from time to start digging them

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
It’s just bone dry here. We could use 3 or so inches spread out over several days. But so far not a drop today. Corn yields are hurt because of earlier drought everything else was looking good once we got a few showers. Now several weeks of sun an no rain cotton peanuts and beans are suffering. Saw some peanuts this morning where the tops were dark brown. That’s not good being just a few weeks from time to start digging them
What county?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Ya'll should see the little River fishing facility in N Durham!!! Got so low (late last year?) all boat docks were on bone dry ground. Came up a bit earlier this summer, now its getting low again.

The Little River that feeds it on the W side of 501 is usually 100 yards plus wide near 501. It got so narrow one could toss a softball pitch across it.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I grew up for 19 years in S Florida. I knew humidity, even in February! I then moved to Raleigh and I swear for 4 months of the year, it was almost exactly the same as S Florida. I work outdoors a decent bit for my job also.

But today I've been working in the house today since early morning, finally built up enough trash to take out a bag around 3:15 pm and I swear today may be the muggiest conditions I have ever walked through. Absolute brutal and starting sweating in three steps.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up for 19 years in S Florida. I knew humidity, even in February! I then moved to Raleigh and I swear for 4 months of the year, it was almost exactly the same as S Florida. I work outdoors a decent bit for my job also.

But today I've been working in the house today since early morning, finally built up enough trash to take out a bag around 3:15 pm and I swear today may be the muggiest conditions I have ever walked through. Absolute brutal and starting sweating in three steps.
Yeah we were flirting with a dewpoint close to 80 today. That's pretty high and just makes for miserable wearher.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

I am telling you what……I have been as far south as you can go in the us in mid august and I have never ever in my life felt humidity like I have today here in Piedmont nc. It’s like walking through a never ending spider web.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And here I was thinkkng today was muggy but not that bad….i think we have had a handful of days worse than this throughout the summer. I know we had one and i had a chainsaw for about half the day. Thats the inly day this year that I have soaked through a pair of pants….didnt have to worry about peeing, that was for sure.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Humid here today as well. Far from the worse day but dang sure sucked after the nice days we’ve been having.

I get kind of used to it in the summer but when we start having cool dry air for a few days then a day like today, it is flat out miserable.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Humid here today as well. Far from the worse day but dang sure sucked after the nice days we’ve been having.

I get kind of used to it in the summer but when we start having cool dry air for a few days then a day like today, it is flat out miserable.
Obx baby! 2 weeks of fall, 2 weeks of spring! Just Summer and winter ! One horse two season town 🤣. I always get a kick out of two things…..spring Black Friday and obx bike week. Home Depot puts a bunch of plants and flowers out in March or early April and they all wilt and get wind blasted, cuase it ain’t no where near spring here. Bike week-my youngest daughters birthday week. I always think what a crappy week for bike week. There seems more likely than not to be a raging NE-R part of that week.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Receiving a good dump of rain. Was beginning to think we were going to miss out on it today. Much needed for the upcoming dry spell.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
TD 7 has formed, current bets are on a miss east of the US, but its early, lots of ENS members have near misses or even hits on NC....

Will be a few days before this thing gets nailed down, generally weaker equals more west before the turn out to the north....stronger storms go north faster, so if this thing really takes off then the miss to the east seems likely, if it festers and slowly organizes then maybe a near miss or hit somewhere on the east coast is more likely....

1663187038485.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Significant west shift in modeling today as the globals get better data from recon flights etc......NC solidly in play at this point but again we are talking 7-10 days which is a long time for things to change the 7-10 plot error is around 300 miles.......but NC is in the cone for now IMO....people with interest on or offshore NC around the Sept 25th timeframe need to really pay attention.....would be a rather unpleasant day on the OBX...but not much say west of Hwy 17ish.....this also depicts a rather deep strong storm which is not likely usually in these setups, but as modeled this is a strong Cat 3 maybe weak Cat 4.

1663282013793.png

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That figures I decided to set my camper up near Morehead for the fall fishing season. Just my luck. I will have to go and get it if that’s the case.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Down east, even if it stays far offshore per some models, what, if any rainfall accumulations could we expect over in the Pamlico Co area? I know there are lots of variables….

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That figures I decided to set my camper up near Morehead for the fall fishing season. Just my luck. I will have to go and get it if that’s the case.
where are you set up? I've thought about doing this but figures the price would not be worth it.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
where are you set up? I've thought about doing this but figures the price would not be worth it.
There was a nice trailer in salter path recently for sale that was around 70k. Very neat and nice little place. Me and my wife have tossed the idea around about buying one of those for the last year or so.