Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Man they really blew thre long range forecast this year. Been a lot of SAL out there and there's just not much getting organized. That's good news because the last 5 to 7 years have been rough. I really hope the late season carribbean and gulf of Mexico stays quiet as well.

That super typhoon in the west.pacific is nasty though. Hope it misses the more populated areas.

Wasn't last year rather uneventful as well? NYC doesn't count mind you.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wasn't last year rather uneventful as well? NYC doesn't count mind you.
not really

The 2021 Atlantic hurricane season was the third-most active Atlantic hurricane season on record, producing 21 named storms and becoming the second season in a row – and third overall – in which the designated 21-name list of storm names was exhausted.
Total damage: $80.727 billion (2021 USD)

1661896827811.png

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I just read a book about big carolina hurricanes- this area went a long time betwwen 1961 till the late eighties without big numbers or tremendously damaging hurricanes- maybe we are cycling back to that pattern. 🤷‍♂️
This is a real possibility but needs a year or 2 of back to back slow seasons to get a better handle on that. Natural active and inactive cycles do occur and we have been incredibly active since the mid 90s.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So.most of last week, they predicted a VERY soggy Friday, especially later Friday. To the point that HS teams moved games to Thursday etc. I even spread lime Friday in front of the coming rains. Nada. Zip. :mad:
Another 4 inches of rain here. Instead of our daily flood we got 2 floods yesterday and again this morning. Fishing plans ruined again just like it’s been since July 1st. If it could just not rain again until next year we would still be far ahead on the average. I knew we would pay for going a week without substantial rainfall but here we are again……back in monsoon season just like it has been for 6 straight years. I really don’t think it’s ever going to end.
Y’all should trade houses. LOL

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Go figure, get the hay baled and put in a barn… the 60% rain petered out. Oh well maybe I’ll cut some more tomorrow.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Y’all should trade houses. LOL

I wish ……in Greensboro and the surrounding area if there is a 0% chance of rain it means we are only going to get a half inch that day. If it’s 50% or better than I make sure the straps on my boats are unhooked so that it can float off the trailer and I can get somewhere 😂

I know it’s dry in a lot of places but we literally get more rain than anywhere in the whole country. Idk why, I can’t explain it, but it happens. The other day i pulled up the weather on one of those “0% chance days” because it clouded up and sure enough there was ONE storm cell in a 2000 square mile radius and it parked right over Greensboro for and hour and a half and brought an inch of rain and then dissipated……didn’t affect any other counties other than guilford and western alamance. I’ve never seen anything like it.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Sister, oldest nephew, my mom and dad are flying down for that one and a Space X launch tomorrow night
So did they stay?

We once started to drive down for one of the last shuttle launches the day before and got to N FL before it was delayed. It is HARD to plan a vacation around a NASA launch! SpaceX? Better not be 5 minutes late lol.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
ZERO named Atlantic Storms in the month of August in how many decades? Fire up the "but Sept and Oct have been more active than ever" BS!!!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Any idea how the T/S will affect the waters near Charleston this weekend? We are supposed to be going 6 miles out to spread my MIL's ashes. I vote we kick here off a pier but I don't think my wife will go for that.

I imagine that would not be the only thing getting kicked off the pier lol....

Forecast for offshore Charleston....

Sat
E winds 10 kt. Seas 3 ft. A chance of showers and tstms.
Sat Night
Sun

thandy

Ten Pointer
I imagine that would not be the only thing getting kicked off the pier lol....

Forecast for offshore Charleston....

Sat
Sat Night
Sun
Thanks. Doesn't sound rough enough to keep us from going out.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Just as I predicted…..got back from the beach this morning after 8 days……pouring down at my house for the 2nd time this evening. lt Didn’t Rain a drop here the whole week I was gone lol

Last edited:

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Bring the rain. Got winter peas and oats planted yesterday the best I could with what I have. Really need a good rain to drive it into the soil
Western half of the state looks good but man the eastern and Central areas still look dry through the long range.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220905_160431.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905_160431.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 6

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
2.75 inches total at my house last night and 2 more today and it’s still raining. And supposed to have a high chance of the same every day for the near future. Fishing plans ruined per the usual.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We were at the coast and I kept telling my wife the heat and humidity didn’t seem as bad as here in eastern TN . The 4 days we were there never got to the point of having that “standing in the bathroom with a hot shower going” feeling. Lo and behold, we got back last night and I got to work today and it felt pretty good all day. Seems like the weather really wants to turn. Hoping the trend continues. Dang am I ready to be in the woods consistently for a few months . Watching leaves fall recently as a cool breeze blows really has me ready to see summer end

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
As a weather nerd I watch seasonal forecast but don't out much stock in them. This hurricane season was suppose to be a blockbuster and has been nothing but lackluster. Lots of speculation on what's causing it. One big factor has been the amount of mid level dry air. Then there's these types of things pique my interest as well.