2022 Fresh Water Catch Thread

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Little man ain’t 100% ready for night fishing yet lol. 2 times by 9:00 he starts telling me he’s tired. So we haven’t gotten the big fish we are trying for yet. 5 years old but he wants to go with me, 8 lb flathead. He was yelling, it’s strong when reeling it in. 😂

Attachments

• 70E6DE48-DA72-4859-A0A3-36322B7017C6.jpeg
    70E6DE48-DA72-4859-A0A3-36322B7017C6.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Well I get back from fishing lake erie on Sunday. My youngest son wasn't able to go, but was about to fish all over himself. Asked me to go wading in the river tonight. I'm like, but we ain't got no helgrammites.... we'll use crawlers pop.... ok that sucks, but ok. Go to big Wally Werld and all they had were garlic nightcrawlers.... I've never used them, thought they were a gimmick. I was wrong.... immediately as we first cast out it was on. Bullheads and channel catfish galore. Caught well over a hundred, brought home 78. Had no space on the rings to put another fish. I get as excited over little fish as I do big ones, don't think it'll ever change. My son needed tonight. Due to his work schedule he's been missing out on boat trips. 20220822_195017.jpg20220822_195032.jpg20220822_195222.jpg20220822_231614.jpg

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
apparently it IS the little things in life that make it worth it....😁😜

Glad you two got out together. Wish my girls enjoyed fishing. I'd see them alot more.......🤣🤣🤣🤣

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
apparently it IS the little things in life that make it worth it....😁😜

Glad you two got out together. Wish my girls enjoyed fishing. I'd see them alot more.......🤣🤣🤣🤣
I know you were joking but when I was a kid, we would catfish off the bank and cook. We were tickled with those 12" fish back then. They fried up good.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Spending time with my son was the prize. The fish were just a bonus. Those bullheads are great eating.
We got to steal that time with our kids as much as possible. They are gone before you know it.

The wastewater treatment plant here had hundreds of them in the intake race for years. They kept them fed. Never did bring my rod. There were some 25 or so inches and a ton of little guys down to a couple inches.
They eventually flushed them all back to the tar.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Man, yall wore them out! that looks like a blast and some quality time with your son!
It was really fun. I think we need to go as a forum group especially since the garlic crawlers were on fire. We were catching 3 to 5 per worm. And the river is big enough 30 plus could stand side by side and not be in each other's way. Also I always use the exact same rig you use trout fishing.

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
It was really fun. I think we need to go as a forum group especially since the garlic crawlers were on fire. We were catching 3 to 5 per worm. And the river is big enough 30 plus could stand side by side and not be in each other's way. Also I always use the exact same rig you use trout fishing.
Have a pole and willing to travel! Heading to the beach next week but after I am down. Those are fun to fight and perfect eating size. Yeah would be a lot of fun on light tackle. Howd the water shoes work for you?

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Have a pole and willing to travel! Heading to the beach next week but after I am down. Those are fun to fight and perfect eating size. Yeah would be a lot of fun on light tackle. Howd the water shoes work for you?
They worked great, didn't get any sand in them either. I did fall two or three times, but that was balance issues.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like y'all had blast wade fishing is by far my favorite way fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We got to steal that time with our kids as much as possible. They are gone before you know it.

The wastewater treatment plant here had hundreds of them in the intake race for years. They kept them fed. Never did bring my rod. There were some 25 or so inches and a ton of little guys down to a couple inches.
They eventually flushed them all back to the tar.

Dont know where you are at…but ive seen a few decent ones in the bottoms of clarifiers. Tarboro used to have a few in most tanks.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
ECE8C855-4D56-415F-8C11-A3AFFFFF773F.jpegB0B9C2C3-FADF-43B8-BEFD-359D290CA5FE.jpeg2888376F-4C2F-4EF5-835F-436C2713E281.jpegC707F901-C114-4D4E-8AF8-C73F14E82585.jpeg

Today was an absolute smash fest for 4 straight hours. Caught one on my first cast and one on my last cast and 40+ in between. Caught em like I normally do in November. Most were the size of the one in the picture but hard to complain about catching that many on a shallow crank bait when it’s pushing 90 outside in September.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I can't imagine Duck mauler's face with out A. His baby strapped to his chest, and 2. A bass that looks to be as big as an adult human due to camera angle next to his face :LOL: .

@Duckmauler dhc Your boy went from baby to toddler quick! WOW. It is as cool as it gets taking him out like that. That dude is going to be the know all, end all, of bass fishing when he's older. Good job!

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I can't imagine Duck mauler's face with out A. His baby strapped to his chest, and 2. A bass that looks to be as big as an adult human due to camera angle next to his face :LOL: .

@Duckmauler dhc Your boy went from baby to toddler quick! WOW. It is as cool as it gets taking him out like that. That dude is going to be the know all, end all, of bass fishing when he's older. Good job!

Im just very thankful that he does so well out on the water, in public, in private, etc. he is our first and I have nothing to compare it to but he is very easy. He loves being on the water, or in the back pack hiking/fishing. He is a self entertainer. I put him in the boat and hand him one of my poles and he does his imitation of fishing. He loves handling the fish and playing with them. I hope he likes it more and more growing up.