WOW

Just heard from someone down east. There was a 200lb +/- Tarpon caught in a pound net in the Chowan river, North of Edenton. There was another caught last week around 100. Must be lots of saltwater coming up the sound this year

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just heard from someone down east. There was a 200lb +/- Tarpon caught in a pound net in the Chowan river, North of Edenton. There was another caught last week around 100. Must be lots of saltwater coming up the sound this year

Not sure of that area, but while at the house at the beach (ICW) last week, I noticed the water was not brackish at all. I attributed that to less rainwater flowing through the drainages allowing more ocean water to flow through.

Not sure of that area, but while at the house at the beach (ICW) last week, I noticed the water was not brackish at all. I attributed that to less rainwater flowing through the drainages allowing more ocean water to flow through.
Yea, thats exactly what is happening down there. On dry years, Its not unusual to see Porpise way back at the west end of Albemarle sound

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This reminds me of the Edgecombe and Nash County Tar River/flounder thread we had a few years ago. In saltier water, a friend actually caught a 240 lb. tarpon in Oriential. Weight was estimated by a professor at UGA based on this scale that removed from the fish...

1026202020a.jpg

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Edenton is a long ways from “down east”.

Once in a great while see one jump here in north end of Pamlico.

Brian Horsley’s(Outer Banks Fly Fishing) charter caught one in the sound at Oregon Inlet yesterday or day before.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Delete now. Thanks
Want to go? I am tired of catching drum. The bait and boat ride are on me. They are around. Every year they are released in pound nets. In a targetable number is debatable. Years ago I used to drive across the sound and try to fish for them. I never landed one, saw a few, and saw way more big sharks than i wanted. Two years ago my wife jumped a big one off near Oregon inlet. In my opinion the piers are your best shot at a look at a tarpon in NC. I know a lot of guys who spend countless hours on the pungo/pamlico/neuse. Some years are better than others.

Want to go? I am tired of catching drum. The bait and boat ride are on me. They are around. Every year they are released in pound nets. In a targetable number is debatable. Years ago I used to drive across the sound and try to fish for them. I never landed one, saw a few, and saw way more big sharks than i wanted. Two years ago my wife jumped a big one off near Oregon inlet. In my opinion the piers are your best shot at a look at a tarpon in NC. I know a lot of guys who spend countless hours on the pungo/pamlico/neuse. Some years are better than others.
Farther South would be better, say somewhere near Cape Fear

duckmauler

Eight Pointer
Big sharks on pamlico/neuse? Not denying, just seeing them there really intrigues me.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

Back in the early 90s I talked to a guy in either Oriental or Ocracoke that was running a small skiff chasing them regularly.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
I’ve seen porpoise in the intercoastal past the north end of the currituck sound regularly,and catch skate and flounders occasionally