86 chevy squarebody restore

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Installed the new 3" lift springs, new motor mounts, bump stops, and gas tanks. Ordered the new tires yesterday. They supposed to be here Tuesday. I have to order more anti rattle for the other gas tank...seems like I ordered two sets but 1 is all I found in the parts department.
20220806_165231.jpg20220807_170816.jpg

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Dad has an 86 he has put a lot of work into. Lots and lots of stuff....but no beauty rings and not that tailgate trim piece. He refuses lol.

I did buy the trim piece on the tailgate for my 97. Ouch is all i can say.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My Dad has an 86 he has put a lot of work into. Lots and lots of stuff....but no beauty rings and not that tailgate trim piece. He refuses lol.

I did buy the trim piece on the tailgate for my 97. Ouch is all i can say.

I was going to save my old one but ......

Attachments

• 20220809_195318.jpg
    20220809_195318.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 28

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a neighbor that painted and did airbrushing on hot rods. I intended to take the tailgate to him and let him airbrush it on there. He just kinda disappeared.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
That biach was expensive even back in the day.

About $500 today for the ban and emblem. Most expensive piece of trim on the whole truck.

I bought a new steering wheel for mine also. Just a detail I see most people who restore a truck don't do. For me I said if it don't feel restored it won't be restored in my mind. I have spent way too much on this truck but I'm not going to stop now.

I bought a cowl hood for mine but I'm going back and forth on whether or not to put it on the truck. I love a cowl hood but will it make my truck look cheap?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
About $500 today for the ban and emblem. Most expensive piece of trim on the whole truck.

I bought a new steering wheel for mine also. Just a detail I see most people who restore a truck don't do. For me I said if it don't feel restored it won't be restored in my mind. I have spent way too much on this truck but I'm not going to stop now.

I bought a cowl hood for mine but I'm going back and forth on whether or not to put it on the truck. I love a cowl hood but will it make my truck look cheap?

Have both painted at the same time. Install first choice. If you end up not liking it, two guys and four bolts make for a quick change....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I like them on some cars, not so much on trucks. That is just my opinion.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IMO the square body trucks look just right with the stock hood... well '81 up anyway. The pre '81 hoods with the wipers under the cowl not so much.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Have both painted at the same time. Install first choice. If you end up not liking it, two guys and four bolts make for a quick change....
Good option but my original hood had a few dents in it. I bought another hood off another truck. Brought it home and washed it...it had more dents than mine(40-50 small acorn/hell dents)...shouldn't of washed it..LOL. Spending money to fix dents just isn't cost effective. Thus why I bought a new cowl hood. Now I'm second guessing that choice. I really like the looks of them. Mine is 2" high. I got a couple weeks to decide. Body shop shutting down for 10 days tomorrow for vacation time.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like functional cowls. More air, more clearance....whatever excuse is needed. The fake ones that sit on top of the regular hood....not me

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good option but my original hood had a few dents in it. I bought another hood off another truck. Brought it home and washed it...it had more dents than mine(40-50 small acorn/hell dents)...shouldn't of washed it..LOL. Spending money to fix dents just isn't cost effective. Thus why I bought a new cowl hood. Now I'm second guessing that choice. I really like the looks of them. Mine is 2" high. I got a couple weeks to decide. Body shop shutting down for 10 days tomorrow for vacation time.

The dents may very possibly be something you could take care of without paying the body shop. Sure, it takes some time and effort to get it right, but very doable. I would, if for no other reason than I would #1- want the original and #2- I'm too tight to buy a hood just due to a few small defects....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If they are small hail damage dents you need to talk to an old school body man. He just may tell you how to work them out with heat (torch). I watched a guy do it with a torch and a damp rag a couple times and when he got through I bet they didn’t use enough body filler on the top, hood and trunk of a car to fill up a quart jar. It looked like it had mumps before he started. I can tell you I don’t have the touch for it. I can take waves out of sheet metal but not like that.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Body shop is back to work. He changed out the cab corners and smoothed out the firewall since I'm going with vintage air on the truck. He is focusing on getting the cab ready for paint then do the doors. I talked to him about the hood...he suggested we paint both hoods and then decide. He said if you don't like the cowl hood I could sale it all day long. I'm supposed to have a running engine next week. I have the transmission and crossmember ready to go in. I need to order more parts. I'm going to replace the steering gear box, power steering pump, master cylinder, and brake booster while at it.

20220824_111347.jpg

Attachments

• 20220828_170501.jpg
    20220828_170501.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220824_111311.jpg
    20220824_111311.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 29

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer a quality cowl hood on these myself, but I'm loving the progress you're making. Better than new when done.
Yep, as to the better than new. I can't count how many of these trucks I have owned over the years. I loved them but bone stock they wouldn't pull a sick whore off a piss pot. What he is doing to this one will make it nice, but I seriously doubt he will ever find out about it's pulling power unless it is pulling a boat. I don't think it will see much mud. LOL

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I prefer a quality cowl hood on these myself, but I'm loving the progress you're making. Better than new when done.
I'm with you on the cowl hood. I like a cowl hood on a squarebody....but the more I look at them, the more I like them on a lowered 2wd truck, and not so much on a lifted 4WD truck....esp. a two tone truck. My truck being a long bed just looks better two tone paint to me. Then I picture it in my head and wonder...is that cowl hood going to make my truck look cheap? I bought a brand new cowl hood(metal) but now I'm second guessing my choice.

nccatfisher nailed it. I'm not going in the mud....she will be hard pressed to see rain on it...LOL. But I'm going to drive it and enjoy it. I might hit a cruise in or two with it. I don't care about car shows...I will go but don't need no trophy. The trophy for me is the challenge of being able to say I done it in the end.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I'm with you on the cowl hood. I like a cowl hood on a squarebody....but the more I look at them, the more I like them on a lowered 2wd truck, and not so much on a lifted 4WD truck....esp. a two tone truck. My truck being a long bed just looks better two tone paint to me. Then I picture it in my head and wonder...is that cowl hood going to make my truck look cheap? I bought a brand new cowl hood(metal) but now I'm second guessing my choice.

nccatfisher nailed it. I'm not going in the mud....she will be hard pressed to see rain on it...LOL. But I'm going to drive it and enjoy it. I might hit a cruise in or two with it. I don't care about car shows...I will go but don't need no trophy. The trophy for me is the challenge of being able to say I done it in the end.
What two tone colors are you going with? I could see blue/white orange/white and a LWB yeah I could see going without a cowl hood on it. It's going to be sharp regardless. Really enjoying your thread/progress.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dad got stuck on tan and red. Ive always liked the grey and blue. Sharpest ever has to be the grey or silver and burgandy in my opinion.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
We have similar taste but mine never looked that good!!! My first car was a red and black 68 Camaro and my second truck was a blue 86 Chevy

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Things kind of stalled out on my build this past week. I did get my parts ordered. New power steering gear box and pump. New brake booster and master cylinder. I went ahead and ordered a new rag joint and a set of headers. Not a big fan of header pipes but this truck had cheap headers on it when I got it. I went back with some black ceramic coated headers since I went with black valve covers and breather. I didn't want chrome...first thing that will rust in my opinion.

Spoke to my engine man Friday...not too happy with him but trying to be patient. Cam shaft came but he left it setting at the parts store for a couple weeks...why? I don't know. Anyways Friday it was the wrong cam shaft so reordered and supposed to be here on sept. 12th. I made a bad mistake with him...paid him up front back in Jan. He is holding me up now. Like to set the engine in the frame before we set the body on it. That way I can work out the issues with the turbo 400 trans mounting up and my drive shafts worked out.

Stopped by the body shop on Thrusday. My body man only worked two days last week. Auto fair got his attention. I don't blame him....72 years old still playing with his own hot rods. He had my cab ready for paint. Painter said he might paint it friday....he is retired too. What a life...LOL. Those two old guys getting more done than all of us. Anyways...body man is off to the doors this week then the front fenders and hood.

Finally complained enough about my interior kit I ordered in Dec of 2021 to get the companies attention. Facebook can be a wonderful thing sometimes. I got my headliner yesterday and my door panels supposed to be here in 2 weeks.

Couple things on the to do list. Thinking about putting a serpentine belt system on the motor and I need a new radiator.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like the serpentine belt set up as it really simplifies things. Also like electric fan systems, especially the dual fans that are temp and A/C controlled. If one goes out you can ease it home with the other. Not so much with the single units... And, you don't lose the power it takes to spin a regular fan.