Best cocktail sauce

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What's your favorite store bought cocktail sauce? We're boiling some shrimp at the house this evening and have to make a grocery store run beforehand. I prefer mine on the hotter side. What about you ?

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
As stated above, add horseradish(preferably the hot). Take it up a notch or two and add some Wasabi and hot horseradish. Just looked up Wasabi and read that I likely never ate Wasabi. So all that sushi with Wasabi was probably fake Wasabi. Bummer. But some really cleared up my nasal passages.

"What Is Wasabi? Here's Everything You Should Know" https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/what-is-wasabi/

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Bookbinder's brand at Sam's Club is pretty good for store bought.
Edited to add: it also looks to be available at Walmart and Publix, and they have a hot and spicy version that I haven't tried.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thank You @wildcat3 - I love good cocktail sauces and need some suggestions myself.
For a little switch from traditional sauces I love Tiger Sauce on shrimp. If I mixed it with HR it might be perfect. I need to try that.
Great thread.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I like the teeter brand and as noted add some horseradish to adjust the heat BUT (big but!) I also add cream of horseradish. Try it! adjust to taste. The cream of horseradish will add heat too so you might only need a little regular HR.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I cam make most of the store brands of the fresh refrigerated variety work. Never found a brand of the non-refrigerated that I cared for.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Now that I'm home here is the NC one I was posting about...... from blowing rock where they know about such things :D

Attachments

• 20220808_181927.jpg
    20220808_181927.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 10

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Too easy to make to buy. Just ketchup, horseradish (prefer the creamy and add some ground if you like) lemon juice and shot of worstershire. Add hot sauce of choice if still not to your liking.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Too easy to make to buy. Just ketchup, horseradish (prefer the creamy and add some ground if you like) lemon juice and shot of worstershire. Add hot sauce of choice if still not to your liking.
I agree. I have never had a bottled sauce that even came close to just ketchup and horseradish.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Harris Teeter has St Elmos
I'll say this too about St Elmos bottled sauce, it does not have the same overpowering horseradish bite the fresh sauce has at St Elmos in Indianapolis . When we ate there we ordered one shrimp cocktail appetizer for my brother in law and I to share. He is from Kansas and apparently has no concept of horseradish and what it does in your mouth, or he didn't until then. It came to the table. Four huge shrimp with sauce all over them sitting in a cup of sauce. The sauce was a very light pink color from the ridiculous amount of fresh grated horseradish in it. For $15 I asked our waiter(who had been a waiter there just over 21 years) how much shrimp they go through a year with a puny 4 shrimp appetizer like that. He responded that it was 15 tons the for the previous year(not 15,000 pounds but 15 tons or 30,000 pounds I asked that too to clarify what I thought I had heard). My brother in law grabbed the first shrimp and scooped up a huge glob of sauce on it as if it were a french fry and in his mouth it went. I swear he reminded me of Yo Samity Sam on the cartoons when his sinuses and taste buds went into overload. He turned red immediately and even our waiter got a chuckle out of it. It was hilarious and I had to eat the other three myself not waste any.