An Observation

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok. But they sure know how to give them thumbs a work out on those electronic devices.😉
Hey everybody has their thing.. bet they think you are wasting time hunting and fishing.. different strokes I guess.. all about what is important to you.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
W/ the last selling price @ $440k 3 months ago for a 1700 sq. ft. house that originally cost 75k in 1985, I seriously doubt there is much room for profit in selling their home anytime in the distant future.
I was referring to your comment that this was the 3rd couple in 10 years. If the last couple put a decent down payment and made payments for a few years, they too might split after acquiring some equity.

If I know I was only going to be somewhere short term my time and money investment will remain in the as needed phase.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I could be just as opinionated about all these young kids living where there are HOA’s and how they must love being told by strangers how to manage property they OWN…………..I’ll be damned if I’m gonna bust my tail my whole life to buy a home for Me and my family to have some stranger tell me what I can and can’t do or park or sit on it.
As for grass, I despise a bunch of landscaping. I’d prefer nothing but grass all the way up the house. It’s not about the work, ii just prefer the aesthetics of all grass. If you enjoy yard work and landscaping as a hobby, then by all means, have at it. But as far as I’m concerned, I’ll keep it mowed. That’s the extent of yard work.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My grass can get as tall as it wants no one around to care I live dead end long dirt rd so it gets cut when I got time usually every 10-12 days if weeds growing good and weed eat every 2-3 weeks my wife used plant bunch flowers but in her aging state she has really slowed down on that. Y'all would probably shame me pretty good if you seen my weeds during turkey season😁
Glad you mentioned this. I am now repeatedly telling myself that the grass n weeds will stay shorter when the beagle training slows down. Buuuuuuut rabbit season will be here soon so I may not really have time

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
The short time I lived in town I maintained an immaculate yard. I also washed my truck religiously.

Not that my yard is shabby but I prioritize weed eating my electric fences over mowing my yard.

Washing vehicles now??? Infrequent but I do wax my tractor periodically. I would have to sit down and count how many things I own that have wheels… safe to say the combined value of rubber alone exceeds a reasonable sum and more than the average person on here. I’m not spending my time washing unless it needs it.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
My wife has been getting on my case lately about letting the mowing go until it gets too "bushy" but I kinda got spoiled during the drought not having to mow every week. I have what I call a country yard. I mow whatever grows and I have it all,clover,ground Ivey, wild violet, plantain,bugle weed and every grass there is. I do like having mulch of some kind around the house and flower beds to cut down on weed eating and glyphosate. The garden and pasture concerns me more than the lawn. If I only had an acre to keep up it would probably look pretty good though, as long as a mower will crank up and run each week it's not that big a job

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
some guys mow,,,,

some guys hunt,,,,

we ALL have our coping mechanisms,,,,
I mow more during hunting season because it’s how I deal with the leaves. Not that I care about the leaves so much as I want green plants to keep growing so the dogs track less in. I can’t be killing my clover and dock plantain with oak leaves.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I could be just as opinionated about all these young kids living where there are HOA’s and how they must love being told by strangers how to manage property they OWN…………..I’ll be damned if I’m gonna bust my tail my whole life to buy a home for Me and my family to have some stranger tell me what I can and can’t do or park or sit on it.
Kind of ironic talking bout a lacking ‘pride of ownership’ and living with an HOA that tells folks what they can and can’t do😎

The extent of my HOA dealings, was telling my realtor if she showed me a house in a HOA she was fired…buncha dang commies😤

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wish I would have planted something edible in the landscaping around the house. I keep the yard mowed, but I hate trimming those Holly bushes and other shrubs. I used to keep everything mulched and edged, but the chickens just sling it everywhere. My neighbor has a yard full of broken trailers, cars, tarps covering whatever treasure he found at auction. I have no one to impress. When I lived in Charlotte I had an immaculate yard. No HOA

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bought a house in the woods so I don't have to mow. Have a field that sometimes doubles as a yard in case I want to mow. Have well water to not taste city chemicals. And the house is on a hill so I don't have to worry about anyone else's sh*t.

Priorities.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not a biggie yet you start a thread and make multiple replies.
Like I said it is just an observation I made while sitting in my backyard enjoying my AM coffee. The forum is for entertainment, passing on info & getting info for me & occasionally meeting members. And no, my young neighbors are not a problem. We get along fine & have different priorities concerning yardwork.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
It might be that they know they are not staying there forever when they move in. They could be viewing it more as an investment or stepping stone to make more money and get the house they want.
A lot of truth here, and in my estimation it's also a symptom of the progressive erosion of our society and the conventions we older folk grew up with. There's a HOUSE and then there's a HOME. Most of the younger set don't yet embrace the concept of HOME, where future generations will gravitate to, no family farm to anchor their lives as in the past. Everything is temporary and besides, Grandma's in the rest home and the farm got sold off for a big house, a boat, a place at the beach, and there's a Wal-mart where the stock barn used to sit.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
A lot of truth here, and in my estimation it's also a symptom of the progressive erosion of our society and the conventions we older folk grew up with. There's a HOUSE and then there's a HOME. Most of the younger set don't yet embrace the concept of HOME, where future generations will gravitate to, no family farm to anchor their lives as in the past. Everything is temporary and besides, Grandma's in the rest home and the farm got sold off for a big house, a boat, a place at the beach, and there's a Wal-mart where the stock barn used to sit.
I think y'all just hit the nail on the head.👏

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I have a neighbor that bought a couple bags of mulch at least a year ago, they are still sitting along his house next to the weeds about 3' high.
They also have and pay for a yard waste bin that has been to the curb once that I know of, not sure what was in there though.
fwiw, they are about 35 years old.
Sounds like one of my neighbors.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

that break down of the "family farm" started way before this current generation - been going on a long time - as an example, my Father-in-Law (RIP) passed at 74 years old 15 years ago, and the land he left had already been broken up when HIS parents died back when

me? I've never had a home place like that - us Patrick's have ALWAYS been wanderers,,, we were the folk who left NC/VA mountains with Boone and opened up the Kentucky territory, then went north to take Wisconsin from the Frenchmen,,,

family farm? I own it, bought it with the sweat of my back and brow,,,

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
that break down of the "family farm" started way before this current generation - been going on a long time - as an example, my Father-in-Law (RIP) passed at 74 years old 15 years ago, and the land he left had already been broken up when HIS parents died back when

me? I've never had a home place like that - us Patrick's have ALWAYS been wanderers,,, we were the folk who left NC/VA mountains with Boone and opened up the Kentucky territory, then went north to take Wisconsin from the Frenchmen,,,

family farm? I own it, bought it with the sweat of my back and brow,,,
Yep, My GGGrandfather divvied up his considerable holdings to his 9 sons, then my GGrandfather divvied up his share with his 7 sons. My Grandfather divvieed up his share to 5 children and my Mom split hers' 5 ways and we now own about 3 acres each, but it's still the home place in our minds; it's where we all gravitate back to.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
maybe their boomer parents weren't very good at parenting... :fishing:
beat me to it.....

Stop bitchin about your kids! 😜

I prefer to keep up with my yard. But I can easily neglect it when hunting and fishing are a priority.
That being said.....
my neighbor...
16594415350661329713570912917395.jpg
this crap gets old. This causes rodent issues for everyone around. But she is just a different kind of rodent. Notice the used Mercedes. 🙄

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
beat me to it.....

Stop bitchin about your kids! 😜

I prefer to keep up with my yard. But I can easily neglect it when hunting and fishing are a priority.
That being said.....
my neighbor...
View attachment 96373
this crap gets old. This causes rodent issues for everyone around. But she is just a different kind of rodent. Notice the used Mercedes. 🙄
Y’all don’t know how to probably utilize a property line. You can pile junk up to the 2,000 feet airspace ceiling. If you don’t see their yard it can’t possibly both you.