How in the world can auto makers still be in business?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
My question was: how are the manufacturers making it, and why isn’t that situation a bigger story?
i answered that question, the profit on vehicles is vulgar, only difference now is they aren't making the multi Billions they normally did, but still making Billions

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It will most likely be there by then unless it gets damaged on train. My son got his truck recently ordered March 7th showed up May 18th (exactly when Ford said it would . Ordered a dually last August it didn’t show up until mid January(jumped chalk block in train)

you can track the rail car if dealership gives you the railcar number, it will most likely go to walkertown and from there it should be at dealership in 4-5 days
No train sticker says convoy so it's getting loaded on a truck

This is the third delivery date so maybe its the right one this time.

When I ordered it the dealer helped me avoid options that would likely cause additional delays.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I imagine they are carrying a lot of parked inventory, waiting on chips, but they know the demand is there and they will get their money eventually.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
No train sticker says convoy so it's getting loaded on a truck

This is the third delivery date so maybe its the right one this time.

When I ordered it the dealer helped me avoid options that would likely cause additional delays.
It still goes on a train even if it says convoy

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I pretty sure its shortage of computer chips. I work in automation w/ Siemens/AB/Schneider. Servo drives/PLC or anything with computer chips in them the delivery is 6 months or longer. Its a mess currently.. We deserve it as we are a stupid country right now, We had an excellent business leader running things and we replaced him with an idiot. I know what I just said will be controversial. Its only controversial because we are a stupid country right now..

Only controversial to 2 or 3 idiots we have as members/instigators...

Zuk84es

Four Pointer
Well, the 80 billion $$$$ Baby Bush gave to GM ‘Government Motors’ and the multi billion $$$ in loans to Ford has helped a bit over the years. Fake money thrown out by Trump and Biden has completely fu#$&@ the demand curve.
High demand with no competition breeds inefficiencies in the market. Companies currently have no incentive, or need to adjust their business to change things.
Unions are loving it, their members never missed a check. Right along with government workers.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had not the market on trucks increased so much, I would have purchased one by now. Having a side business where a truck could really be helpful,
the price jump just makes no economic sense right now to acquire one. Basically, the side business would only be making enough money to pay for the truck I need to have the side business. That hardly makes sense to me - not putting any money in the bank by paying for the truck, and then on top of that the depreciation on the truck .

In short, it's like I would be working for nothing to show for it. Especially since gas prices and everything has gone up.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Well, the 80 billion $$$$ Baby Bush gave to GM ‘Government Motors’ and the multi billion $$$ in loans to Ford has helped a bit over the years. Fake money thrown out by Trump and Biden has completely fu#$&@ the demand curve.
High demand with no competition breeds inefficiencies in the market. Companies currently have no incentive, or need to adjust their business to change things.
Unions are loving it, their members never missed a check. Right along with government workers.
I think you hit every bitch, moan, and complaint except the ones causing high vehicle prices. 🤣🤣🤣

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I pretty sure its shortage of computer chips. I work in automation w/ Siemens/AB/Schneider. Servo drives/PLC or anything with computer chips in them the delivery is 6 months or longer. Its a mess currently.. We deserve it as we are a stupid country right now, We had an excellent business leader running things and we replaced him with an idiot. I know what I just said will be controversial. Its only controversial because we are a stupid country right now..
You are correct. We deal with same thing. One of our machines has 10 servo drives in it. One drive shorted out last year and somehow took out the other 9. Only 4 in the US at that time. We were down 3 weeks

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
it will be interesting to see how this thread ages. As soon as Biden announced he’s done we may really have demand surge.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
If sales are half of what they used to be, do dealerships now have half the salesmen? If everything is presold, then what do the remaining salesmen do all day? No sense running a tire-kicker down, if you got nothing to sell him.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am hoping that this entire Covid/Supply Chain crisis will be this generation's "depression" moment. And by that I mean, I hope that individuals and businesses alike will choose to plan for disruptions, and parts/supply shortages rather than go by the Just In Time model. Our society had lost the lessons learned from previous generations with our international economy and overnight shipping. It may be naive, but I would hope they would stock a few extras of the most commonly used parts and necessities.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Our society had lost the lessons learned from previous generations with our international economy and overnight shipping
I would also add that society has become soft and lazy.
how many chips were used in older models? i mean before fuel injection, auto this and that
They could literally make a true "working" truck going back to old technology and likely sell them for $20k

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
how many chips were used in older models? i mean before fuel injection, auto this and that
They could literally make a true "working" truck going back to old technology and likely sell them for $20k
I mentioned that a while back and got ridiculed and called Marty McFly.............:stir:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
No, they can’t. Because the .gov stuck its nose. Can’t build(large scale manufacturing) a car without all the airbags and emissions. Lest we forget that most of the chips in a car are consumer driven ie creature comfort.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No, they can’t. Because the .gov stuck its nose. Can’t build(large scale manufacturing) a car without all the airbags and emissions. Lest we forget that most of the chips in a car are consumer driven ie creature comfort.
Most of the chips are for the drive train and safety. You have a chip for braking system, a chip for engine management, a chip for transmission control, SRS system, All wheel drive, IDAS integrated driver support system, because no one can drive safely. Then you get into the creature comforts, body control module, like door locks and lights, infotainment so you can be connected to your phone at all times, rear entertainment so your kids can be zombies in the back seat, amplifier so you can drown out your kids, tow package computer so your 1970 boat trailer doesn't melt down your vehicle. Not all new vehicles have the creature comforts, but all of them have the first few.

Zuk84es

Four Pointer
I think you hit every bitch, moan, and complaint except the ones causing high vehicle prices. 🤣🤣🤣
Actually I answered the original posters question ‘How in the world can automakers still be in business?’.
The answer is taxpayer money.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'm currently having my 2009 Silverado with 165,000 miles being repowered at the dealership. It's a one owner (me) one driver (me) that has been serviced exactly according to the manual (plus some) and with the exception of the 165k it's brand new.
The repower is setting me back 10k when it's all said and done but I'll still have it in another 15 years, assuming I live that long. It can also serve as my casket when I go and I'll save that 5k.
It took some cooperation with the dealership (for which they will be rewarded) and a short wait (2 weeks ) to source and transport the crate but it's HERE, sitting on the floor next to the truck and work has already begun and is expected to be complete by Wed morning.
Screw the new truck market......

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

See if this works

awe heck,,, that was one dude,,, that ain't getting ridiculed,,,,

but yeah, there have been issues since well before Nov 2021,,, heck when I bought my backup for Betsy in October 2021 there were very few choices,,,

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
crossroads ford in Aberdeen/Southern Pines has lots of vehicles, but I have no idea if they are new or used

went by the ATV (Honda, polaris, etc) dealer in Rockingham today - absolutely nothing but trailers in their lot - don't know what was inside but that lot used to have all kinds of SxS, etc - not today

Two weeks ago I was there picking up parts and the showroom was full of oversized SXS sport oriented rigs. There were a few ATV's and very few motorcycles.

<>< Fish

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
There are issues with the PDC facilities as well, companies are restructuring, closing down some facilities and increasing production at others with less than 30% of increased heads.
Majority of plants have reduced or in the middle of reducing heads by 20 - 30% while still maintaining production numbers, they have also pushed all vendors to reduce costs by 30%. Payment terms to vendors is 90 days after getting a PO, and that is if they maintain the policy, at one point we were owed over $5m - and thats owed without a PO, so whenever that happens we still have to wait 90 days

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Just like ammo there is 0 incentive to make things better for the consumer. Keep supply low, make more per vehicle and less risk when things turn down. Why invest in a new plant, work force, etc when you can make plenty of money with what you have already?

Sure the government caused a lot of this with their funny money but we also continue to buy at the inflated prices. If we keep buying they’ll keep running prices up til they stop selling and the bolus of infused capital dries up. No different in housing though that’s cooling just a little.

Zuk84es

Four Pointer
I'm currently having my 2009 Silverado with 165,000 miles being repowered at the dealership. It's a one owner (me) one driver (me) that has been serviced exactly according to the manual (plus some) and with the exception of the 165k it's brand new.
The repower is setting me back 10k when it's all said and done but I'll still have it in another 15 years, assuming I live that long. It can also serve as my casket when I go and I'll save that 5k.
It took some cooperation with the dealership (for which they will be rewarded) and a short wait (2 weeks ) to source and transport the crate but it's HERE, sitting on the floor next to the truck and work has already begun and is expected to be complete by Wed morning.
Screw the new truck market......
What happened to cause a need for new engine at only 165,000 miles?