Fireline

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A standard disc plow usually isn’t heavy enough to cut through the roots and stumps. If you have time to pick your way it probably will work.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Yes. We disc all of our fire lines but I had help with the initial prep. I had the logger remove trees along the perimeter of each stand and located the pull lanes so they could be used for interior lines. We keep the lines disced and even use some for food plots.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have used a tractor and disc on field edges for burning fields off but not sure how it would work in the woods, depends on the site like mentioned, wouldn’t work well in my area but may be fine in sandy soil or if a previous fire line is already there and needs freshened up, new line a dozer would be preferable

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have used a tractor and disc on field edges for burning fields off but not sure how it would work in the woods, depends on the site like mentioned, wouldn’t work well in my area but may be fine in sandy soil or if a previous fire line is already there and needs freshened up, new line a dozer would be preferable
He is talking about a disc plow, they are much heavier and cut much deeper than a regular disc. But still aren't going to cut larger stumps.