Coon Doggin with Bluedogman

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My beagle pup and other two mutts are progressing way beyond my expectations. They’ve made me eat my words. Especially the pup. All I’ve done is be patient and feed her rabbit tracks. She’s done the rest. Switched gears tonight and turned one of @Bluedogman ’s hounds loose. It’s been a long hot week but we got a break in the weather tonight so we all needed it. It was a great night to be in the woods. I always enjoy his son’s commentary and his perspective on hunting with hounds and nature in general. He has a great ear locating the dogs when they open up far away and all I hear is the ringing in my ears. He can read the garmin good too. 5A04EE77-0E7D-4E30-AFFE-F6DD4CE46D19.jpegI’ll keep a thread going in case anything particularly funny or wild happens. But tonight it was just about being in the woods and listening to the dog run. Good stuff.
9AFC9A9A-BC23-4D98-8AFE-3B762DD8A64C.jpeg

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
When I was 15, I hunted with three older guys, and they always had me carry the rifle. A 10/22 with a 4x wide angle scope.

That's when I knew it was all about the chase.

Pre Garmin days, but the land was flat so it wasn't an auditory nightmare like mountain hunting. It was swampy though. We covered a lot of miles in hip boots.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
When I was 15, I hunted with three older guys, and they always had me carry the rifle. A 10/22 with a 4x wide angle scope.

That's when I knew it was all about the chase.

Pre Garmin days, but the land was flat so it wasn't an auditory nightmare like mountain hunting. It was swampy though. We covered a lot of miles in hip boots.
Awesome. It’s always interesting seeing how different types of country changes up the hunting …and offers new aggravations

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Awesome. It’s always interesting seeing how different types of country changes up the hunting …and offers new aggravations
You always had a good idea where the dogs were. The trick was figuring if you had to walk 2 miles to go one.

They sure we're happy when I got my driver's license. Not that I didn't hump it to the truck and drive to pick them up, but then I was legal, and one of them didn't have to splain to the sheriff when I got pulled in the middle of the night.

So what type of dogs you running? Can you tell which one hits by the howl? I always liked that.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You always had a good idea where the dogs were. The trick was figuring if you had to walk 2 miles to go one.

They sure we're happy when I got my driver's license. Not that I didn't hump it to the truck and drive to pick them up, but then I was legal, and one of them didn't have to splain to the sheriff when I got pulled in the middle of the night.

So what type of dogs you running? Can you tell which one hits by the howl? I always liked that.
I hear that. Less conflict with the law man . He’s got blue ticks. A bunch of em lol. So usually only run one or two at a time depending on the situation and whose been run recently and who hasn’t. And yeah definitely they’ve all got their own sound and cadence. His dogs are super distinct too. One will be very choppy, one will have long deep bawling, another has a pretty standard hound sound but has this rolling gargling sound at the end that’s pretty neat. More than anything, I need to make it a point to mention he started all them dogs from the ground up and they hunt good and are easy to handle. They’re brutes tho. Go up to the dog lot to give the big males some love and they’ll bout knock you over trying to nuzzle up against you

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't turn a white light on this time of year, amber or red. hard to get a coon to look at a bright light with all the leaves and draws bugs. but hunting with hounds I doubt you see many coons anyway. :ROFLMAO:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I don't turn a white light on this time of year, amber or red. hard to get a coon to look at a bright light with all the leaves and draws bugs. but hunting with hounds I doubt you see many coons anyway. :ROFLMAO:
He’s 10 and he uses what he wants. I was impressed how many times he’d walk off a little ways and shut the light down and just enjoy listening to all natures noises in the dark. And dang Tim we see plenty of coons…

on the trail cams

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He’s 10 and he uses what he wants. I was impressed how many times he’d walk off a little ways and shut the light down and just enjoy listening to all natures noises in the dark. And dang Tim we see plenty of coons…

on the trail cams
Yeah, if you was brought up "old school" you made it a habit cutting that light out because they didn't last long. Or if you happened to have a profession that you were looking for those lights you learned to get around in the dark without them. LOL Amazing some of the conversations I have heard about "there is not one within 30 miles of here"! ROLMAO

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yeah, if you was brought up "old school" you made it a habit cutting that light out because they didn't last long. Or if you happened to have a profession that you were looking for those lights you learned to get around in the dark without them. LOL Amazing some of the conversations I have heard about "there is one within 30 miles of here"! ROLMAO
Hahaha that’s awesome