Need Help Identifying Rifle

ARG3278

Button Buck
Have recently acquired this 25/06 rifle in a multiple long gun purchase. Other than the 25 06 stamped on barrel and the name on the scope, I don't have much to go on. It appears to me to be a custom gun of some origin with a heavy barrel slightly tapered to the end. The gun weights 15.2 pounds most of which is in the solid tapered barrel. The barrel diameter on the end discharge end is 1". The recoil pad on the stock end has Pachmayr Gun Works on it. Through limited research I see where Pachmayr made some accessories such as that, and also made custom guns out in California. I wish this was one of them!

The scope is a 2" Unertl with a spring assist recoil slide. The end caps are threaded and screw into the scope. You can adjust the amount of recoil travel by adjusting the stops on the spring. Again with limited research, it seems the recoil slide would have been used prior to that sort of motion compensation being built into more modern scopes. The optics are clear and certainly usable.

I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light on what this is and the time frame it may have been made. It may just be a one off custom gun someone made to see how heavy a barrel was possible. I have not shot it yet, but a prop of some type would be absolutely necessary for a steady shot. Your insight is appreciated! I have more photos.

25-06BoltRight-IMG-7255.jpg25-06ButtStock-IMG-7259.jpg

25-06 OverviewRight-IMG-7252 .jpg25-06BarrelEnd-IMG-7266.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's an old style military Mauser conversion. I've built many , many similar with a bit different contouring on the action and trigger guard.
If you pulled the barrel there may be a barrel maker mark but it's really not worth it.
There's always someone looking for those, especially that scope. I'd say the scope would bring more than the rifle.

ARG3278

Button Buck
It's an old style military Mauser conversion. I've built many , many similar with a bit different contouring on the action and trigger guard.
If you pulled the barrel there may be a barrel maker mark but it's really not worth it.
There's always someone looking for those, especially that scope. I'd say the scope would bring more than the rifle.
Thanks for the reply. The scope was intriguing to me to say the least, never seen one like that. Was it developed for hunting, target shooting, or perhaps military use?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. The scope was intriguing to me to say the least, never seen one like that. Was it developed for hunting, target shooting, or perhaps military use?
It was used for all of the above. Top of the line back in the day. I had one for varmint hunting. Much much better out there now though.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lots of traditional bench shooters who like to use period proper scopes with same period rifles. That scope was the standard for great scopes in that period and set lots of records in all kinds of scenarios including sniper fire.
I used one on a Winchester model 52 to shoot bug holes at 100 yards and consistently hit golf balls and eggs at 200 yards and beyond. Very capable scope.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the rifle?
I'm pretty sure I saw it in a gunshop in Lagrange NC last year. A buddy has several unertyls and we were looking at it just for the scope.
As Eric Revo said, it's a custom build on a Mauser action. Might be worth $ to the right person, but the real value is in the scope.

ARG3278

Button Buck
Also if you're interested in selling the scope let me know.
This is probably not the rifle in LaGrange. It came from a private owner in Hyde County, and most likely hasn't seen the light of day in more than 20 years. I had not considered selling just yet, but as I learn more about it and it probable value I would not rule out a possible trade for more modern varmit gun. Thanks for the reply!