Bottom outfits

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone on here take their own outfit on head boat?? I got a 6/0 Penn on a good rod with a roller guide. think I have 60 lb mono on it.
Let me know what weights you use and rigs....... one rig for sea bass and 1 for grouper??

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
The problem will be if you have a heavy rod and are getting mostly triggerfish bites. I personally use a medium/heavy fast taper Tiger Elite Ugly Stik. I like the sensitivity of a smaller rod, but It is just what I am used to. I don't use the provided gear because it gets abused almost daily and usually serviced once a year. If I get lucky and hook a big fish, I don't want equipment failure.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
The boat will provide a rig and usually a 16 ounce sinker but circle hooks are required and take some getting used to if you have not used them much.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
The boat will provide a rig and usually a 16 ounce sinker but circle hooks are required and take some getting used to if you have not used them much.
For the typical Triggerfish / Vermillion Snapper bite, what size circle hooks do you use?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think triggers need a smaller hook, 2/0, or even a 1/0 but I have not tested that theory yet. Then grouper would require 6/0 or more. such a variety, it is tough to know until you start catching what size to use. Then taking the time to change up hooks = lost time fishing.
I'n also a novice and generally suck at fishing, so there is that...
I do plan on trying to switch around a bit next trip, but talk is cheap....😄 I love trigger but really want a grouper.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Dick nailed it. I use 2/0 for triggers and beeliners. I tie triple rigs so I will have 2 smaller hooks and a larger big bait hook at the bottom.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use the boats weights. best if everyone has the same weight, less tangles. Yes 16oz.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the tips on hook sizes. That's about what I thought. To the OP, I'm sure you'll catch fish on the rig you described, but I fished next to @btsharky last year, and was very impressed with his setup. I watched his rod tip, side by side with mine, and he was picking up twice as many of the subtle "tick, tick" bites as I was. Since then, I've picked up an Ugly Stick Tiger rod, and paired it up with a Shimano Torium 14 reel. This makes a much lighter, more sensitive rig than the boat provides. No-stretch, braided line helps too.

I have a question about spinning tackle. You don't see it used much, if at all, on the headboats, and lately I've been wondering why not. I've got a spinning rig I used to pitch live baits to Blackfin Tuna down in the Florida Keys when my son was stationed there, and I think it would work fine as a bottom fishing rig. 6' rod, medium heavy action with a fast tip, rated for 30-60 pound line. Anybody use a rig like this bottom fishing?

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the tips on hook sizes. That's about what I thought. To the OP, I'm sure you'll catch fish on the rig you described, but I fished next to @btsharky last year, and was very impressed with his setup. I watched his rod tip, side by side with mine, and he was picking up twice as many of the subtle "tick, tick" bites as I was. Since then, I've picked up an Ugly Stick Tiger rod, and paired it up with a Shimano Torium 14 reel. This makes a much lighter, more sensitive rig than the boat provides. No-stretch, braided line helps too.

I have a question about spinning tackle. You don't see it used much, if at all, on the headboats, and lately I've been wondering why not. I've got a spinning rig I used to pitch live baits to Blackfin Tuna down in the Florida Keys when my son was stationed there, and I think it would work fine as a bottom fishing rig. 6' rod, medium heavy action with a fast tip, rated for 30-60 pound line. Anybody use a rig like this bottom fishing?
We used a rig similar to this bottom fishing in Costa Rica for snowy grouper(with square spots instead of round) and snapper. We fished in 300-330’ of water and they worked fine.

Last edited:

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I have used my same set up numerous times in 300' with 20 oz of lead and it did great. I bought a Tanacom earlier this year just for the future deep water drops.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have used my same set up numerous times in 300' with 20 oz of lead and it did great. I bought a Tanacom earlier this year just for the future deep water drops.
that's cheating....🤣
But I'm also not hand winding a reel at that depth for long.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I fish the gulf for snapper, grouper, trigger, etc in 60' of water and only use medium to medium heavy weight spinning gear. It works great. I land 20 - 30# grouper all the time. The other guy on the boat uses a massive spinning setup and he comments all the time that i'm going to lose fish......but facts are facts....my catch ratio is as good or better than his with lighter leader and smaller rods. Quality equipment is all ya need and really good knots. You'd be shocked what a 30# leader can do. I've leadered 7' sharks and big amber jacks with the same setup.

The only issue you have with smaller rods and smaller leaders at 300' depths and 16oz. weights is arm fatigue for a whole day of fishing. The heavier rod would be nice for big weights. Big rods don't equate to big fish but I gaurantee that big rods do equate to limited catches of smaller fish as they are less sensitive.