Harvest summaries for last season out

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Yea. Haywood county had a whopping .96 bucks per square mile lol. Even though there are some much worse.

Last edited:

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Graham county… shew

I wish they broke game lands down by square acres to numbers of deer harvested
Yea but I’ve seen a slew of big deer come out of there in the past 2-3 years. At least 3-4 big deer a year. I believe there are more deer but so few too lazy to go. I work with a bunch of boys out of R’ville. Rough rough place

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Yea but I’ve seen a slew of big deer come out of there in the past 2-3 years. At least 3-4 big deer a year. I believe there are more deer but so few too lazy to go. I work with a bunch of boys out of R’ville. Rough rough place
Yeah harvest numbers only tell part of the story

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The only thing the WRC cares about in Haywood Co is the elk

They bring in the $$$

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only thing the WRC cares about in Haywood Co is the elk

They bring in the $$$
Yeah, the NCWRC is getting rich off them. How about give us a breakdown of how they have spent all the money they have made off them the last 20 years or so.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The WRC said the elk herd brings in millions of dollars of revenue to Haywood County.

That was directly from them.

They don't care about the deer herd in WNC. Just what brings in money in some form or fashion.

Last edited:

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Yeah, the NCWRC is getting rich off them. How about give us a breakdown of how they have spent all the money they have made off them the last 20 years or so.
We can start with the purchase of William H silvers game land. Specifically for the elk. My grandfather was part of the elk coming in. I actually watched them Walk off the trailer into the pin. It’s a huge money draw Here. It’s elk everywhere. Just ride up Maggie valley. Now I do enjoy them. It’s memories of my grandfather and hope to kill one here one day. It is sad.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The WRC said the elk herd brings in millions of dollars of revenue to Haywood County.

That was directly from them.

They don't care about the deer herd in WNC. Just what brings in money in some form or fashion.
And soon as I called you on it I knew you was going to change your tune because they have only been a money pit to NCWRC since they have been here. Now they have in more recent years brought revenue in to local economies not the WRC no.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We can start with the purchase of William H silvers game land. Specifically for the elk. My grandfather was part of the elk coming in. I actually watched them Walk off the trailer into the pin. It’s a huge money draw Here. It’s elk everywhere. Just ride up Maggie valley. Now I do enjoy them. It’s memories of my grandfather and hope to kill one here one day. It is sad.
Yeah, I actually watched them also. So are you saying in some way the elk payed for that?

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Yeah, I actually watched them also. So are you saying in some way the elk payed for that?
Yes. By there presence to be hyper accurate. The revenue brought in to the county persuaded a purchase of land to create an optimal elk habitat in Haywood county. You can believe what you want but I sit right in front of a state biologist at church. He kinda has an idea what is going on. I suck at attaching articles but I can reference multiple ones. That will confirm a monetary motivation.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And soon as I called you on it I knew you was going to change your tune because they have only been a money pit to NCWRC since they have been here. Now they have in more recent years brought revenue in to local economies not the WRC no.

Sorry but the WRC is now all on the elk bandwagon.

That is a fact.

Things have changed a lot since the WRC opposed the elk being released 20 years ago.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes. By there presence to be hyper accurate. The revenue brought in to the county persuaded a purchase of land to create an optimal elk habitat in Haywood county. You can believe what you want but I sit right in front of a state biologist at church. He kinda has an idea what is going on. I suck at attaching articles but I can reference multiple ones. That will confirm a monetary motivation.
I hunt and fish with one that has been with them almost to retirement age. He still says they aren’t crazy about them but are stuck with them. But when you get a chance explain to me how revenue mostly tourism money gets funneled to the NCWRC. I just don’t see how they are making them rich all of a sudden.

Again, local business, yeah I see it. But not a state agency.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry but the WRC is now all on the elk bandwagon.

That is a fact.

Things have changed a lot since the WRC opposed the elk being released 20 years ago.
Yeah, I see them making leaps and bounds, at the rate they are going they should have programs comparable to other states that participated in restocking in probably 40 more years.

• Haha
Reactions: CRC

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I hunt and fish with one that has been with them almost to retirement age. He still says they aren’t crazy about them but are stuck with them. But when you get a chance explain to me how revenue mostly tourism money gets funneled to the NCWRC. I just don’t see how they are making them rich all of a sudden.

I guess before a response from me. I’ll do some research and see how tax dollars are allocated to agencies from state collections. Rather than a less than educated guess.

from here I’ll get back in topic. I do find it bizarre on some counties lack of deer and others right in the border loaded.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

The elk foundation donated a large sum of money to buy the property and to start the management practices of it and several other areas in Haywood to improve areas for elk, which will result in better areas for all game.
Without the elk the money wouldn’t have been donated

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The elk foundation donated a large sum of money to buy the property and to start the management practices of it and several other areas in Haywood to improve areas for elk, which will result in better areas for all game.
Without the elk the money wouldn’t have been donated

That is true. But its only because people care about the elk and not the deer or grouse.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It is hard for me to believe there were more deer killed in Forsyth County than in Gates County, unless I am looking at it wrong. Good Grief, how things have changed. The deer hunting was great in Gates when there was not even a season in Forsyth.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
@CRC I saw that South Mtn had 31 deer killed there last year. You need to take it easy on them.

Yeah down from 90 or so when the place first opened years ago

And only 13 deer from Rutherford and Cleveland Counties which includes the vast majority of the game land (19,000 acres)

13 deer off 19,000 acres isn't a whole lot imho. ymmv

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah down from 90 or so when the place first opened years ago

And only 13 deer from Rutherford and Cleveland Counties which includes the vast majority of the game land (19,000 acres)

13 deer off 19,000 acres isn't a whole lot imho. ymmv

*reported

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Half of Dare County is National Wildlife Refuge and Gamelands and it is one of the lowest in deer harvested at 126 total. Pretty sad considering 20 years ago it was nothing to see 30 to 40 deer in an evening at Alligator NWR.

More deer than that get ran over on Hatteras Island.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Half of Dare County is National Wildlife Refuge and Gamelands and it is one of the lowest in deer harvested at 126 total. Pretty sad considering 20 years ago it was nothing to see 30 to 40 deer in an evening at Alligator NWR.

More deer than that get ran over on Hatteras Island.
I would venture to guess that most people don’t hunt down in that area.

Every time I’ve been down to Hatteras there have been deer everywhere.

I’ve always thought that a cast and blast adventure would be fun. There is a small game land down there.