Garden/Canning ‘22

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I’m a simple man (read: lazy). Will sevin work?

Sevin may work. I'll see what else I can find about what it controls. I assume you know what a horn worm looks like, but sharing a pic anyway. Red tail - tobacco horn worm. Black/blue tail - tomatoe horn worm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220503-165435_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220503-165435_Google.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 5

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
These insecticides may work. permethrin, bifenthrin, lambda-cyhalothrin. Tractor Supply may stock these.
Lambda Cy is some nasty stuff. I've used it on army worms in hay fields and if you get it on you at all it will make your skin crawl. No chance in hell I'm spraying that stuff on veggies.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Got my garden in this past weekend and dang if some kind of bug hasn’t already cleaned 4 working on 5 tomatoes up already. Stripped em bare.

hornworm?
Seems a little early for hornworms. I never had them until later in the summer. But… they are the only pest I ever had that can clear a plant in short order. You should be able to find caterpillar crap on lower leaves. It may be another species, but they all leave :donk:donk:donk:donk behind when they eat that much.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
For you guys that hate weeds and weeding can use pieces of old carpet. Just cut holes in it for your plants. Weeds can’t grow through it and water can. Works especially good for lettuces, cabbages, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. basically anything that needs good spacing due to plant size. At the end of season just roll it up and store it under the lean to or whatever you have. At work I don’t put my hands anywhere I wouldn’t put my dick and in the garden I don’t add anything I wouldn’t put in my mouth. Well the first time anyway. It may be natural, but I ain’t drinking it for fun. Lol

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Seems a little early for hornworms. I never had them until later in the summer. But… they are the only pest I ever had that can clear a plant in short order. You should be able to find caterpillar crap on lower leaves. It may be another species, but they all leave :donk:donk:donk:donk behind when they eat that much.

The beetles I mentioned can come in mass, and do a lot of damage quickly. When you see hundreds on plants, stripped to the veins, you will realize what I'm describing. I've had that happen twice in maybe 10 years. Amazing the effect of population dynamics.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
The beetles I mentioned can come in mass, and do a lot of damage quickly. When you see hundreds on plants, stripped to the veins, you will realize what I'm describing. I've had that happen twice in maybe 10 years. Amazing the effect of population dynamics.
Good to know. I’ve never had beetles that mess with tomatoes. Always been caterpillars of different species. Always glad to learn new things. Glad for you that they seem to come around fairly rarely!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had some freak storm come out of nowhere yesterday. Garden plants are laid over. Seedlings that were acclimating in trays outside got blown through the yard and some were snapped off in the tray. I imagine the lettuce is done. Looked like a horse had stomped it.

trees down everywhere locally. Ive not seen that many down locally since Fran.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had some freak storm come out of nowhere yesterday. Garden plants are laid over. Seedlings that were acclimating in trays outside got blown through the yard and some were snapped off in the tray. I imagine the lettuce is done. Looked like a horse had stomped it.

trees down everywhere locally. Ive not seen that many down locally since Fran.

We got hit Sunday with bad wind, plus 2" of "can't see 30 feet" rain and hail. Not sure yet of the full extent of damage other than the squash that got beat pretty bad. I had just the day before got all my seeds in and the water moved a lot of soil. Not sure what will germinate or what got washed to another spot. Gonna give it a little time to see and replant what is necessary.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There has been a couple good storms all around us but no direct hits.
Sorry to hear of all the damage. I would be a bit upset if it happened to me.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
No storms here its been dry for too long now,dirt is like powder. Finally got two tenths of an inch of rain yesterday that didn't even wash the pollen away

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Sevin may work. I'll see what else I can find about what it controls. I assume you know what a horn worm looks like, but sharing a pic anyway. Red tail - tobacco horn worm. Black/blue tail - tomatoe horn worm.
I have spent hours looking over tomato plants to pick those green worms off they are hard to see. Rarely have the brown worms but green ones show up every year

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have spent hours looking over tomato plants to pick those green worms off they are hard to see. Rarely have the brown worms but green ones show up every year
black light at night. never tried it but have heard it works.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
black light at night. never tried it but have heard it works.
I'll keep that in mind if they get bad this year. The last three or four years I have had to deal with a new for my area pest and that's the leaf legged bugs. Not as bad last year but the year before they were thick,sucking on the tomatoes right as they got a little color to them. Enough of them and the tomatoes get white spots under the skin and skin gets thick. I have coated the adult bugs with sevin before and don't even phase them. Last year though didn't see any until about September and they attacked my okra instead of the tomatoes

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'll keep that in mind if they get bad this year. The last three or four years I have had to deal with a new for my area pest and that's the leaf legged bugs. Not as bad last year but the year before they were thick,sucking on the tomatoes right as they got a little color to them. Enough of them and the tomatoes get white spots under the skin and skin gets thick. I have coated the adult bugs with sevin before and don't even phase them. Last year though didn't see any until about September and they attacked my okra instead of the tomatoes
everything I have is in raised beds right now. did two floating beds last 2 years and had very little bug issues. beds now are on the ground so we will see what happens. already noticing more weeds but I should have sprayed before adding the good soil. used what I dug up for walkways to start filling the beds. I did get out a majority of the grass and roots.but not all...

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
R-Up or 24d? 2d4 is bad for moving. Tomatoes are very sensitive to 24d, also.
Pretty sure it was roundup, but your idea of 2,4D could be spot on. Google pics sure looks like it.

Thanks to all for their herbicide suggestions ! Never heard of a "hooded sprayer". Will look into it.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I’m a simple man (read: lazy). Will sevin work?
It worked great for me last year with all kinds of bugs.... beetles, squash bugs, etc, To help squash bugs look for the eggs on the bottom of the leaves. Knocking those out as often as possible cut em way down. I've started just keeping a large sprayer of liquid sevin at the ready.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
On the subject of garden pest. Last year I wrapped the stalk of my squash and zucchini with aluminum foil. About half an inch below the soil up to the first leafs. This kept the vine borers out. FYI. Something I saw on youtube.

So the aluminum foil doesn't get hot enough in the afternoon sun to basically bake the stalk?

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
On the subject of garden pest. Last year I wrapped the stalk of my squash and zucchini with aluminum foil. About half an inch below the soil up to the first leafs. This kept the vine borers out. FYI. Something I saw on youtube.
I started planting lemon squash more. For some reason, they've never bothered it and the squash is great.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I wonder if that's akin to the trick of keeping a sandwich baggie with water and tinfoil next to your door, to keep the flies out.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Its the little things that keep me motivated. This is the first time we have grown cauliflower big enough to harvest. Out of 8 plants these are the best. I did not grow them from seed. I bought the plants from Tractor Supply in Vass. Tried several years past, with no luck.20220512_171331.jpg

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have had .2 inches of rain in over 3 weeks here,this is the first time I have ever had to water potatoes to get them to sprout

timber

Twelve Pointer
Been dry here also. Few miles up the road had some rains with water ponding in the fields. Had to water some. Put some 46% down around a lot of the vegetables yesterday. Had good slow rain last night. Should make them jump. Potatoes are about knee high and blooming. Haven’t had to spray them for potato beetles but once so far which is unusual. Deer and ground hogs working on the butter beans at back of farm. Planted a dozen or so rows of sunflowers at end of the rows but they walk over them to get to butter beans. Guess going have get 223 tuned up

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
so at what point do you all pick your brocolli? How long have you had it produce after the initial cut? The chit is going crazy. A lot bigger than I thought and bad placement. lol
Kinda want to move it along asap but will deal with it as long as it sprouts little trees.
20220513_083050.jpg20220513_083125.jpg

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
so at what point do you all pick your brocolli? How long have you had it produce after the initial cut? The chit is going crazy. A lot bigger than I thought and bad placement. lol
Kinda want to move it along asap but will deal with it as long as it sprouts little trees.
View attachment 91281View attachment 91282
When the heads start to separate or losen up you need to pick, before it bolts. All those little trees will become yellow bitter flowers. Yours looks like its starting to bolt. Leave the plant and harvest smaller crowns in a few weeks. They will grow from the area where leaf meets the stem. Kinda like Brussel sprouts.