Garden/Canning ‘22

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I took a chance last night and didn't cover up the potatoes. Not all of the plants are above ground yet but the few that are got frost bit.
Don't know if it will kill them or not.20220420_181559.jpg

Attachments

• 20220420_181538.jpg
    20220420_181538.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 2

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I took a chance last night and didn't cover up the potatoes. Not all of the plants are above ground yet but the few that are got frost bit.
Don't know if it will kill them or not.View attachment 89912
Had potato plants last year that the wind blowed my cover off of that froze the foliage completely back to nothing and the roots and cuttings survived and resprouted. Took those plants a long time to catch up to the ones that stayed covered but eventually made the same amount of taters

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Other than a few burned lower leaves, looks as if our plants survived. I made sure to remove covers before the sun hit em this morning, Now, if it'll dry out I can re-till, lay off rows and get started. Thinking I may wait until after new moon for everything except maybe the field corn. May wait to get it in also though...

timber

Twelve Pointer
Looking like another chance of frost tonight. Hopefully the last one. Been dry up this way. Didn’t get but about a tenth yesterday. Couldn’t tell had done anything by mid morning. Maybe this weekend will bring more rain but not to promising by the way the weather map showed for the NE counties

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I stopped by a greenhouse business this morning to get some tomato plants, they were $4 ea compared to $2 ea last year.
Started not to buy any but the German Johnson plants looked healthy so I bought 5.
Went by Lowes thinking they might be cheaper and they were $4.79 ea.
All y'all that start your plants from seed are smart and you're saving money!!

timber

Twelve Pointer
I stopped by a greenhouse business this morning to get some tomato plants, they were $4 ea compared to $2 ea last year.
Started not to buy any but the German Johnson plants looked healthy so I bought 5.

That’s kind of pricey coming from a nursery. Haven’t bought any tomato plants raised a bunch from seed but may buy some Cherokee purple. Lost all the ones I had started about a month ago. Bought a few cabbage and broccoli from the nursery I been dealing with for a while. They were still charging 14.00 a flat. The flat has either 32 plants or 48 depending on size of plant

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Sounds kind of high unless they were in gallon or bigger pots and already a good size.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yep, I've noticed the higher prices this year also. Hoping I don't have to accommodate then as I started mine from seed. They were getting too big and I had to get em planted, then the cold hit. I covered them and removed it before the sun got on em, but they got bad stunted. Lots of burned leaves now. Just hoping they pull through. Especially since I have quite a few with tomatoes already growing.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep, I've noticed the higher prices this year also. Hoping I don't have to accommodate then as I started mine from seed. They were getting too big and I had to get em planted, then the cold hit. I covered them and removed it before the sun got on em, but they got bad stunted. Lots of burned leaves now. Just hoping they pull through. Especially since I have quite a few with tomatoes already growing.
I got lucky with the frost. only had on large tomatoe plant that took a hit. One I bought of course (1.99 for large plant).
i trimmed up the dead leaves and it came back well. Only had one other half die for unknown reasons, but I trimmed it also and it is bouncing back.
One of my 4x4 boxes took a hard hit, but that was me and the lawn mower, I don't want to talk about it.😄

timber

Twelve Pointer
Going have some surprise tomatoes. One of my labs decided he wanted to eat the popsicle sticks I used to mark my flats of plants. I built a 4 by 8 foot table with wire bottom to sit the flats of plants on. Thought was high enough he wouldn’t bother them but he couldn’t resist. At least he didn’t get the whole flat of plants. He did that few weeks ago and scattered plants across the yard.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
as much as I try to keep track of what is what, it always comes down to not knowing until they produce. lol

timber

Twelve Pointer
Potato beetles are in full swing. Been checking for them about everyday. After that little rain last night they were in breed and eat mode this am. Hit them with good dose of spinosad this am

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive jumped the gun planting early most years. Almost every year the direct seeded items have poor germination and the plants can catch a hint of frost if not covered. Dad planted seeds about the third week of april this year. The last frost caught him perfect. None of the seeds had broke the ground. So far his garden looks great. Hopefully the rain is sporadic and doesnt set in like in the past couple of years. It doesnt take long for weeds and grass to get wild if the tractor cant get in. The potato rakes can fight it....but its a decent sized garden and the towel gets thrown in on some items for wet years. This is the earliest I ever remember him planting. Usually its first week of May and it catches up with everyone that was 3-4 weeks ahead.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Herbicides will help with weed and grass problems. Especially if it turns off wet. I have a weed and grass herbicide for everything I plant. Occasionally get a little chemical burn on plants but I hate a grassy garden

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Herbicides will help with weed and grass problems. Especially if it turns off wet. I have a weed and grass herbicide for everything I plant. Occasionally get a little chemical burn on plants but I hate a grassy garden
Care to share your herbicide of choice? I had a few tomatoes get roundup poisoned last year somehow. They grew out of it, but still set em back a month or so. My Dad said he's seen roundup drift 100 yards before. Guess I"m a little more hesitant to spray after last year....

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Care to share your herbicide of choice? I had a few tomatoes get roundup poisoned last year somehow. They grew out of it, but still set em back a month or so. My Dad said he's seen roundup drift 100 yards before. Guess I"m a little more hesitant to spray after last year....

R-Up or 24d? 2d4 is bad for moving. Tomatoes are very sensitive to 24d, also.

timber

Twelve Pointer

I incorporate treflan where planting tomatoes and peppers. Depending where on the farm I plant them use some Dual herbicide also Treflan can be used on a lot of vegetable crops. I use Command herbicide on squash and cucumbers. For butter beans, field peas and snap beans I use treflan and depending on weed and grass pressure use some Prowl herbicide. Roundup is usually not that bad for drifting but I try to keep a few feet away and down wind if spraying it around tomatoes. Sometimes use a hood they make for backpack sprayer when spraying glyphosate around tomato middles

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got broccoli heads forming this morning.
I do have a few weeds popping up here and there in my boxes. I really try not to spray anything. Kinda the reason for the boxes. No bug issues so far.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hate weeds, and pulling weeds is the worst part of having a garden. Like Dick we try not to use chemicals. Luckily I have some help. My wife spends an hour or so a day pulling weeds. Sometimes the kids help, but my 3 year old needs supervision, bless her heart. She weeded a 3 foot row of carrots and left all the weeds last week. I just love that she wants to help though.

I have never succeeded at growing a head of cauliflower before. Its the little wins that keep us motivated.
20220503_080833.jpg

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I make a "hooded sprayer" by cutting the bottom out of a 2 liter bottle and putting it over the wand of the hand sprayer for sprayingR-Up. Also, have been using Gramaxone like this, too. Depends on the target species. Drift from Gramaxone can be more forgiving than R-Up.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got my garden in this past weekend and dang if some kind of bug hasn’t already cleaned 4 working on 5 tomatoes up already. Stripped em bare.

hornworm?

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Got my garden in this past weekend and dang if some kind of bug hasn’t already cleaned 4 working on 5 tomatoes up already. Stripped em bare.

hornworm?

Could be. You should be able to find them. I've had cucumber beetles strip potatoe plants, pepper plants, tomatoe plants in a fairly short period of time. I use a pyrethoid and acephate insecticides.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Could be. You should be able to find them. I've had cucumber beetles strip potatoe plants, pepper plants, tomatoe plants in a fairly short period of time. I use a pyrethoid and acephate insecticides.
I’m a simple man (read: lazy). Will sevin work?