SENC Deer club openings for 2022

Brhc2

Button Buck
Figured I'd get a jump on it...located in Wilmington and looking to see what's available for club openings in Brunswick, Columbus, Duplin, Bladen or Pender county for the 2022 deer season. I prefer still hunting but don't mind being in a club that dog hunts. What clubs have openings or whats available for lease/who need members for a lease?

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
First, the good news: Your timing is right. Most clubs run their memberships on a calendar year basis, and some club members drop out every January. So, there will be some openings coming up soon.

Now, the bad news: Demand exceeds supply. I think most clubs have waiting lists. Do some internet searching and contact some clubs. Go out and see them, meet some members, maybe attend a club work day. If you like what you see, get on their list. Most openings will be filled by March, for sure before turkey season.

You may occasionally see a lease or club opportunity posted on this forum, but not many. Check here, Craigslist, Facebook, and move fast when something pops up.

One last tip: You'll get more traction here if you post a little introduction about yourself and contribute to the discussion.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Little disappointed in the lack of replies on this ......😁
Nobody's gonna reply either i don't think. Less people on any particular tract of land means more deer for everybody else that's already there even if it means it costs a little more.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Figured I'd get a jump on it...located in Wilmington and looking to see what's available for club openings in Brunswick, Columbus, Duplin, Bladen or Pender county for the 2022 deer season. I prefer still hunting but don't mind being in a club that dog hunts. What clubs have openings or whats available for lease/who need members for a lease?
Don't be to disappointed if not too many responses. I'm sure you can probably guess why no responses also.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't be to disappointed if not too many responses. I'm sure you can probably guess why no responses also.
be honest, I'm not sure there's a lot of people from this part of the state on this forum. Might be more than I think, but I don't see it.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Your best bet is gonna be to ride through Green Swamp and get some contact info off of posted signs or gates and call. There’s still a bunch of clubs in the area and they frequently need memebers.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Honestly I don't know where to start to help you, but if you want help and insight on this forum , it pays to join in the conversation for awhile. Most clubs that need members are always gonna be dog clubs. Your still hunting clubs are smaller with less land in my experience. I would prefer to hunt with a dog club any day. You can still hunt the dog club when allowed, but too many of these new guys hunting don't realize that. Your die hard dog hunters won't waste time still hunting cause they only care about the chase with the dogs. Be on the lookout for a good dog club in Bladen and Pender County. Duplin will be a little harder to find one.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You were looking, back starting on Jan 3rd i believe and you still haven't gotten any response ?

he's gotten responses,,,and some good advise on how to find clubs,,,, takes work sometimes,,,
me, I use the "drive around and call contact numbers methods",,, or if only a club name on the sign, maybe post asking "anyone know contact info XYZ club?

how I got into a local club here at the house,,,

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
he's gotten responses,,,and some good advise on how to find clubs,,,, takes work sometimes,,,
me, I use the "drive around and call contact numbers methods",,, or if only a club name on the sign, maybe post asking "anyone know contact info XYZ club?

how I got into a local club here at the house,,,
Very good. Good luck

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I will respond as to what I know about the clubs in the green swamp. Most are dog clubs that allow still hunting. The price is rising due to more people and less land , I know people who pay upwards of 2000 per year that do not hunt, they are members of a club and just like to socialize and they often get accepted first for obvious reasons. The deer herd in the swamp is way down and lots of clubs are restricting what can be killed. It's slowly dieing due to developing, most of the land is no longer owned by the paper companies but by pension funds etc . It still gets managed as timber land but dependent on where the most money can be made.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
No deer in Duplin County. no need to come this far North.

Good Luck in your search.
Back in the 50-60's deer were in fact non-existent around Kenansville. So I guess like you say, there still aren't any that "far north".😉🤐 Warning! If you were to go hunting & fall on the edge of a thicket on the edge of of one of those blackwater swamp bottoms, don't grab for the closest sapling. Those Devils Walking Sticks that grow there are like some medieval torture device.

Brhc2

Button Buck
Have not had anyone contact me, or seen any listings on FB or CL. I've driven through the green swamp really didn't see many posted signs with info just no trespassing. Nor have i heard anything by word of mouth as of yet...

Little back ground info on me... So I'm early 40s, been hunting since I was 9 yo. Been a member of 3 different dog clubs since I was 12. Love dog hunting just don't have dogs so most of my hunting is as a stander on the dog hunts and still hunting. Also hunt public 2-5 times a year.

Currently been a member of a club for the past 8 years but looking for a change if I find the right club or lease.

So please contact me if you are in a club or know of any clubs looking for prospective members...

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back in the 50-60's deer were in fact non-existent around Kenansville. So I guess like you say, there still aren't any that "far north".😉🤐 Warning! If you were to go hunting & fall on the edge of a thicket on the edge of of one of those blackwater swamp bottoms, don't grab for the closest sapling. Those Devils Walking Sticks that grow there are like some medieval torture device.

you are right about those Devils Walking Sticks. They are from Hell.

I remember daddy talking about no deer being around while he was growing up. He started deer hunting in the late 70's and then, we didn't hunt at the house. We went to Cypress Creek to hunt in the club. By the mid 80's there were starting to be decent numbers around the house. And now, they're pest about everywhere.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have not had anyone contact me, or seen any listings on FB or CL. I've driven through the green swamp really didn't see many posted signs with info just no trespassing. Nor have i heard anything by word of mouth as of yet...

Little back ground info on me... So I'm early 40s, been hunting since I was 9 yo. Been a member of 3 different dog clubs since I was 12. Love dog hunting just don't have dogs so most of my hunting is as a stander on the dog hunts and still hunting. Also hunt public 2-5 times a year.

Currently been a member of a club for the past 8 years but looking for a change if I find the right club or lease.

So please contact me if you are in a club or know of any clubs looking for prospective members...
No offense, but unless you know some one to get you into a club, you're not going to have much luck with being an outsider. Just the way it is up here.

I hunt private/family land. I can't help you.

good luck with your search.

Ajwatts88

Button Buck

June is when RMS leases are due. They oversee a lot of the timber land in the area. Be on the look out now as some people wait till the last possible minute to see if they’ll make dues or drop out.

Bigsteve80

Button Buck

Have you checked on Blackwater Hunt Club in Pender County, just outside Wilmington? At one time they were taking new members. I was a member a few years ago. Very good group of guys. Contact number is (at least was) posted on the gate entrance.

Brhc2

Button Buck
Have you checked on Blackwater Hunt Club in Pender County, just outside Wilmington? At one time they were taking new members. I was a member a few years ago. Very good group of guys. Contact number is (at least was) posted on the gate entrance.
You mean black river?