Garden/Canning ‘22

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Give you guys a heads up on vegetable seeds, better order them now. So far I’ve been unable to locate English Sweet Long Slim Hybrid cucumber seeds. Had to settle for Sweet Success Hybrid. Also wasn’t able to get everything in one place, had to pay a little extra with multiple shipping charges.

Canning supplies will most likely be in short supply again so stock up on lids. May have issues getting stuff like pectin for jellies.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Give you guys a heads up on vegetable seeds, better order them now. So far I’ve been unable to locate English Sweet Long Slim Hybrid cucumber seeds. Had to settle for Sweet Success Hybrid. Also wasn’t able to get everything in one place, had to pay a little extra with multiple shipping charges.

Canning supplies will most likely be in short supply again so stock up on lids. May have issues getting stuff like pectin for jellies.
Way ahead of the curve on that one. Terri & I took advantage of a sale we found up in Hoanaker VA. last spring.

We were hitti g any and all old stores outdoor markets we found. We bought several cases of quart and pint Lids. I lady had a whole table of each. We bought everything she had.

I'll put my tin foil hat away now. At least until our next outing.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have been accumulating various items as we find them for a while. Jars, rings, lids and other supplies. Probably have enough but will continue to add to the inventory. I saved seed from most vegetables last year so new seed purchases will be less (hopefully) this season. Garden spots were tilled in the late fall and left open for the winter weather. I also started a few seed last week for some of the slower growing plants. Plan to get my greenhouse moved and ready in the next week or so.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Way ahead of the curve on that one. Terri & I took advantage of a sale we found up in Hoanaker VA. last spring.

We were hitti g any and all old stores outdoor markets we found. We bought several cases of quart and pint Lids. I lady had a whole table of each. We bought everything she had.

I'll put my tin foil hat away now. At least until our next outing.
At the red bud festival?

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Any suggestions for a good sweet corn variety that grows well and actually taste sweet for the sandhills area. Maybe its just a soil problem, but my corn is barely edible.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Haven’t heard of any shortages yet on seed. Usually deal with local feed and seed stores. They put their orders in early and I try to buy my seed when they start getting there orders in. Looking like fertilizer going be the big expense this year. Saw some triple 13 running around 17 a bag.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'm trying to decide if I even have a garden this year. I'll be moving in July so I won't see a lot of the harvest. I could just grow some fast growing plants like zucchini and skip the tomatoes and hot peppers.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Haven’t heard of any shortages yet on seed.

Not a shortage just specific varieties that you don’t find in brick and mortar are out of stock. If you’re looking for specific seeds you may not be able to get everything you want on one order.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Honey select hybrid is what was planted here last year. Best stand of corn that has ever come out of that garden in 35 years. It was as good as any I’ve ever had.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As of this morning 34-0-0 was $780 per ton. Last year at this time it was $390 per ton. My inputs to grow hay this year have doubled in fertilizer and chemicals and fuel continues to rise. Going to be fun.......

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Hybrid sweet corn is some pricey stuff but argent has been good,better ears than sweet queen. Cucumbers, yellow squash and tomatoes I can get pretty good second gen vegetables from saved seed but third generation starts going downhill

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hybrid sweet corn is some pricey stuff but argent has been good,better ears than sweet queen. Cucumbers, yellow squash and tomatoes I can get pretty good second gen vegetables from saved seed but third generation starts going downhill
I don't mind paying a little more for better seed variety. Lots of work growing something that doesn't excite my taste buds. Do you think cross pollination is affecting your saved seeds? We had some amazing heirloom tomatoes given to us from a friend. Planted them too close to another variety one year, never the same after that.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
You folks saying coons are eating your corn, make sure it isn't coyotes, I thought I had coons eating my honey select but when the wildlife officers came out they said I needed to catch some coyotes. I never thought they were the ones eating it, but we set some steel in the ground and caught the rascals. The adults moved the pups after that and we got our second planting.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I don't mind paying a little more for better seed variety. Lots of work growing something that doesn't excite my taste buds. Do you think cross pollination is affecting your saved seeds? We had some amazing heirloom tomatoes given to us from a friend. Planted them too close to another variety one year, never the same after that.
Not heirloom vegetables I grow unless intentionally like I crossed mortgage lifter tomatoes back with German Johnson to try and reduce the size of the plants. I was referring to the hybrid variety cucumbers, squash and tomatoes that I saved seed from. The better boy tomatoes really changed by third generation for the worst but cucumbers and yellow squash did well for years. Yellow squash grown around zucchini will cross in one generation and produce yellow zucchini. Tried silver king seed saved one generation and was complete fail,the stalks branches and made baby corn like Chinese food

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Got some of my peppers started. One is all scorpions, the other is reaper, yellow fatalii, and red/green bhut jholokia. When these sprout I’m going to transfer them into double solo cups until they can go in the ground. Hopefully these sprout quick and I can get another run going. First time starting seeds in the aero garden. Meant to start them a month ago, but didn’t get around to it. B24E2035-7715-49ED-9BA7-CF26D1391156.jpeg

timber

Twelve Pointer
If you going need fertilizer this year for garden might need pick some up. Lowe’s here jumped price up 2.00 a bag to 19.00 in last couple weeks. Tractor supply was 17.00 and some change yesterday. Usually get mine from farm supply store. Haven’t checked them yet. Got the garden disked up. Might run some beds with tractor today for cabbage and broccoli. Heard plants going up. The nursery I get mine from were 14.00 for a flat of 48 last year. Haven’t talked to them yet this year

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Got my potatoes in, onion sets and onion seed for spring onions as well as a couple of rows of sugar snap peas. A couple of deer have walked right down a row of peas so yesterday I put up my rabbit fence to keep Bugs Bunny out and it should keep the deer from cruising through too. Will probably plant beets and carrots tomorrow.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
still working on my garden area. Got some lettuce popping up already. Tossed in some spinach and radishes to the box too.
Found seeds from 2014. mostly herbs. I did toss them in some starter trays along with a bunch of tomatoes seeds I had.
Got to fill most of my boxes with soil yet.
20220301_160339.jpg20220301_160231.jpg

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
You folks saying coons are eating your corn, make sure it isn't coyotes, I thought I had coons eating my honey select but when the wildlife officers came out they said I needed to catch some coyotes. I never thought they were the ones eating it, but we set some steel in the ground and caught the rascals. The adults moved the pups after that and we got our second planting.

Yotes got most of our watermelons the last 4 or 5 years we planted them.

Last edited: