Getting ready

kilacam

Six Pointer
Just ordered shells for the year, Longbeard XR from Rogers. They also had Apex in stock for anyone looking. Looking into some lightweight waterproof boots, any suggestions from experience would be appreciated. What's on your list to get ready for this season?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Don't need do thing get ready I'm always there. As far as boots I'd go try some out I have one particular brand that fit my odd foot well so 8 get prolight boot in them but they are not waterproof as advertised

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
In my experience I've never found a truly waterproof boot unless they were rubber. My crispi boots have held up well with wet fields and shallow creek crossing but I'm sure like any other boot a prolonged soaking will get my feet wet. I don't really need anything else to get ready for season, although like every year I will buy another batch of mouth calls. I made the decision a few years ago to spend my money on tags and gas,not more gadgets.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Kilacam, got a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Lite that is like 3 years old and best I have ever tried. They fit my foot best of any rubber boot. I have tried Muck boots but seem too heavy. Chasing turkey you want everything as light as possible and makes the day go by better.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
i need to find long beard xrs and pattern my gun. other that I'm good. I might buy a proper vest, might not.

kilacam

Six Pointer
In my experience I've never found a truly waterproof boot unless they were rubber. My crispi boots have held up well with wet fields and shallow creek crossing but I'm sure like any other boot a prolonged soaking will get my feet wet. I don't really need anything else to get ready for season, although like every year I will buy another batch of mouth calls. I made the decision a few years ago to spend my money on tags and gas,not more gadgets.
Same here. I bought a set of the Irish setter vaptrek snake boots for turkey hunting because I liked how high they were and still light. They sure ain't waterproof though. Anything more than dew on the grass and you got damp feet. If I'm hunting around the house I don't mind wearing rubber, but on permit hunts and gamelands I really like hiking shoes/boots. My muck boots are comfy and warm, but after a few miles I'd rather have my Merrels. I've heard good things about the Keen hiking boots and thats kinda what I'm leaning towards.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i used to "get ready" by browsing the midwest turkey call supply catalog.
I would see what I "needed" and place an order.
On line shopping versus that catalog is just not as entertaining or as successful in parting me with coin. :)
The new AP box I got at Christmas is really exactly what i wanted. I hope some gobblers feel the same way.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Same here. I bought a set of the Irish setter vaptrek snake boots for turkey hunting because I liked how high they were and still light. They sure ain't waterproof though. Anything more than dew on the grass and you got damp feet. If I'm hunting around the house I don't mind wearing rubber, but on permit hunts and gamelands I really like hiking shoes/boots. My muck boots are comfy and warm, but after a few miles I'd rather have my Merrels. I've heard good things about the Keen hiking boots and thats kinda what I'm leaning towards.
I've got a pair of Keen's and they are pretty comfortable on my feet . My only complaint with them is they don't climb as well as I'd like .

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Kilacam, got a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Lite that is like 3 years old and best I have ever tried. They fit my foot best of any rubber boot. I have tried Muck boots but seem too heavy. Chasing turkey you want everything as light as possible and makes the day go by better.

You want catch me in the turkey woods without my Lacrosse grange rubber boots. They are light and waterproof. Too many ditches and swamps in NE NC to not wear rubber boots IMO. I buy a new pair every year.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
just ordered from Macks pws federal 3rd degrees, winchester super x turkey loads, and winchester long beard xrs, along with an alpz long spur turkey vest so I could get free shipping. Hoping one of them patterns good, hopefully the 10 dollar super xs are the best, doubt it though. One problem I see coming in the future is me getting annoyed at all the empty pockets in the vest since all I run is a big ole box call my grandpa found me at a flea market that sounds like a hen who has smoked for 70 years but has gotten me the most success, and a few mouth calls. The problem would be me buying calls to fill up the pockets.

TH80

Eight Pointer
just ordered from Macks pws federal 3rd degrees, winchester super x turkey loads, and winchester long beard xrs, along with an alpz long spur turkey vest so I could get free shipping. Hoping one of them patterns good, hopefully the 10 dollar super xs are the best, doubt it though. One problem I see coming in the future is me getting annoyed at all the empty pockets in the vest since all I run is a big ole box call my grandpa found me at a flea market that sounds like a hen who has smoked for 70 years but has gotten me the most success, and a few mouth calls. The problem would be me buying calls to fill up the pockets.
You can’t have a vest with empty pockets 😂. I’ve had good success with those longbeard xr’s paired with the Carlson longbeard xr choke

slugoo

Eight Pointer
You can’t have a vest with empty pockets 😂. I’ve had good success with those longbeard xr’s paired with the Carlson longbeard xr choke
thats actually the choke I got in my stocking for christmas that im going to be using this year. Thats good to hear.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You want catch me in the turkey woods without my Lacrosse grange rubber boots. They are light and waterproof. Too many ditches and swamps in NE NC to not wear rubber boots IMO. I buy a new pair every year.
Used to wear nothing but rubber LaCrosse Grange for Turkey & early season Deer, but they sure arent the same quality as they used to be. The ones made in the USA w/ the gusset @ the back were hard to beat for hunting bottomland.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@josh sold me on the idea of looking into Kenetreks. Part of me bought them just to say “I’ll never spend that much on a pair of boots again” but so far they’ve been awesome. I wouldn’t consider them lightweight, but I was willing to sacrifice that for comfort, durability, ankle support, etc. They’ve got me spoiled tho. Cuz now when I put on a pair of other boots around the house or to go in town, I feel like I’m wearing some amigo specials (that would be the $25 Brahmas from Wally World , etc)

np307

Ten Pointer
Well I guess my getting ready better get into gear. Can't find the box that I thought I had my mouth calls and extra shells in. Might have to do some emergency shopping.

kilacam

Six Pointer
I've really been considering getting a Sig romeo red dot, or Burris fast fire for my 1187. Anyone here shoot a red dot on their turkey gun? If so, what do you have and how do you like it?

However, we just moved into our new house and have a newborn, so that would take some sweet talking to the wife that I don't think I'm capable of. Probably just using the good ole bead again this season and getting my feet damp in the boots I already have. At least I got shells, thats all I really needed anyways.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^ Forgiveness, not permission. You will not regret a reflex dot. At all. I have both FF3 and Venom. Edge to the FF3 imo but both are good.