New Orleans for 3 -4 weeks

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Left home Monday with 26 techs in tow for work in New Orleans…… last time I was in Louisiana was 7 days after Katrina hit…. Still bodies lying in streets covered with sheets at that point. Luckily they sent us back across the lake to work the Covington area on that trip! Went home 3 months later! This trip has us working right in the big city! Headed to Bourbon St tonight since it’s first weekend of Carnival! Anything in particular that’s on the top of your list to do while I am here?…. Other than beads and boobies that is…….

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Unfortunately we are working 12 hour days- 13 days on and one day off….. so night time is really all we have to go out . I have a little flex in my days but not much!

well,,, guess that just leaves EATING!!! Enjoy yourself

if you find yourself at a little bar called Dino's Bar and Grill down on Tchoupitoulas St and see a 6 ft tall skinny blonde fellow behind the bar named Bryant,,, tell him John from NC said hi (he's the brother of a friend of mine)

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Prob been 10 yrs plus since I’ve been there. We’d always hit bourbon st the first night for the first timers and then never go back on that trip. We found the best and least crowded eating and blues bars were spread out all over the city and neighboring areas away from the touristy stuff down town. We just asked diff guys we were there working with. Once they realized we wanted to explore, After the first trip they were ready for our team and would have a plan for us. NOLA will be our first trip when I retire end of this year.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I spent 32 days down there right after Katrina. The place was awful at that time.

Previously there, on Bourbon st. there was a place that served slushies with alcohol in them. There was one flavor that was awsome and had a great kick !
190° Octane was the flavor. You might try one of them. LOL !

Have a safe trip and enjoy !

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I enjoyed it. We drove to Slidell and went with Honey Island.

Its been 15+ years....i remember there being several..not real sure which one we did....we did the big slow boat but them air boats looked fun....we rode miles back in the swamp to this lagoon and the guide threw out chicken parts and that hole came alive with gators!....musta' been 50 chomping around....then he pulled out a baby gator from under his seat about 10 inches long and let us pass it around and pet it.....very cool experience....

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
You said there were still bodies in the streets with sheets over them.......so in other words it was just like any other time there 😛

I wish I could remember the name of some of the restaurants we went to but they were all good.
Other than a few "gentleman's clubs" I went into I made it to Harrahs and lost my azz.....lol

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Left home Monday with 26 techs in tow for work in New Orleans…… last time I was in Louisiana was 7 days after Katrina hit…. Still bodies lying in streets covered with sheets at that point. Luckily they sent us back across the lake to work the Covington area on that trip! Went home 3 months later! This trip has us working right in the big city! Headed to Bourbon St tonight since it’s first weekend of Carnival! Anything in particular that’s on the top of your list to do while I am here?…. Other than beads and boobies that is…….

Food , food , and more food ! That city is the top of the list for a big appetite !

Enjoy !

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Its been 15+ years....i remember there being several..not real sure which one we did....we did the big slow boat but them air boats looked fun....we rode miles back in the swamp to this lagoon and the guide threw out chicken parts and that hole came alive with gators!....musta' been 50 chomping around....then he pulled out a baby gator from under his seat about 10 inches long and let us pass it around and pet it.....very cool experience....
That’s what we did.
He’d put a marshmallow on the end of a stick and have them coming up out of the water higher than the gunnels, right beside the boat.
I told him I didn’t think that was a good idea. He asked why. I told him, “because they got all those teeth and ain’t got no toothbrush”.

Couple things that surprised me, no mosquitoes and everyone along the River had swimming docks with floats and rope swings. Gators were thick.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Grab a beer at Jean Lafette's Blacksmith Shop on Bourbon St. Building is over 250 years old. Supposedly the oldest building in the country with a bar in it (not the country's oldest bar though). Kind of cool to sit there and think of all the things that happened in that building in that time span. If you do get a day, Jackson Square and see all of the street art and entertainers, some of it is pretty impressive.

As others, FOOD! I love Cajun food.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Park near Lafayette Cemetery No.1 in the Garden District and check it out and all the cool old houses while walking to a restaurant. Lots of good ones.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Wife and I have been 4-5 times. I let her chose the tourist activities and we’ve done: swamp tour (Honey Island I believe), city tour (hop on/hop off at certain locations) that included a cemetery tour, ghost tour (better than expected). Ton of restaurants and some great food. Cafe Du Monde for beignets. Mother’s restaurant even though line will probably be out the door and down the sidewalk. Daisy Dukes for a good, decent price breakfast. Go to Roosevelt New Orleans hotel (wife’s favorite hotel) for a sazerac ($$$). If you like bourbon there’s a good bourbon bar in the back of the Crowne Plaza hotel.

The extremely popular restaurants (seen on TV or recommended by the hotels) will have really long lines, so we hit restaurants along Decatur, same Cajun food.

Best thing to do: go to Bourbon St., find a bar with a 2nd floor balcony, grab a seat and watch the freak parade move up & down Bourbon St. especially Friday or Saturday night.

Sure you know, but NOLA is not a crime free utopia. Be careful and watch your surroundings. Always been told never visit or walk-through cemeteries at night, or any poorly lit streets.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Almost forgot, try some boudin (pronounced boo-Dan, they will correct you). Try some alligator.

I’ve know some guys to take guided fishing trips as well, but I have no experience with that.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Try not to get mugged! Last time I was there was for a conference. The hotel was down the road from the conference center, hotel staff said if two or more young guys walk up to you get out of there fast.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
well,,, guess that just leaves EATING!!! Enjoy yourself

if you find yourself at a little bar called Dino's Bar and Grill down on Tchoupitoulas St and see a 6 ft tall skinny blonde fellow behind the bar named Bryant,,, tell him John from NC said hi (he's the brother of a friend of mine)
This sounds vaguely familiar. I’m guessing
Friday night they'll be dressed to kill
Down at Dino's Bar'n'Grill
The drink will flow and blood will spill
And if the boys wanna fight, you better let 'em

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Wife and i plan a trip to NO sooner or later, stoopid travel restrictions (plus a 4yr old grandson thats not invited lol) likely do a couple of days, i am the more adventurous one for food so will be reaching out for those hole in the wall spots.