Goose on Tuckertown

I am new to waterfowl hunting. I get that central NC is far from an ideal location. I see from other threads here and elsewhere that Tuckertown and Badin get covered up with hunters, especially for ducks. I was told by a buddy that I'd do better focusing on geese, especially on Tuckertown. Anybody have any helpful advice other than just "stay home"?

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Scout...Not being snarky, but Geese are much easier to scout for...look for them flying back to or from feeding areas from the lake, pass shoot or decoy them in.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
If there’s birds using an area be sure to start camping out at least four to five days ahead to secure your spot !! That way idiots can set up within 59 yards of ya 20 minutes before shooting time !! Then they can say “ oh I didn’t see your spread out my bad “ and they don’t leave. I’m so glad I don’t hunt public land anymore.

Terry

Four Pointer
last time I hunted tuckertown with my daughter got there about an hour early got set up cooking breakfast 10 minutes before shooting light boat come in set up 40 yards from me😡I was not happy we had word but they wouldn't leave nothing I could do

Clark

Ten Pointer
last time I hunted tuckertown with my daughter got there about an hour early got set up cooking breakfast 10 minutes before shooting light boat come in set up 40 yards from me😡I was not happy we had word but they wouldn't leave nothing I could do
Move to 10 yards downwind

Clark

Ten Pointer
Me move but of course why did I think of that
I've done it a couple of times. Picked up my gear, went to the end of their dekes and sat down :D . They go nuts when you are wading in their dekes to pick up your birds :taz:! Would not do it again, last time they threatened to shoot me.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I've done it a couple of times. Picked up my gear, went to the end of their dekes and sat down :D . They go nuts when you are wading in their dekes to pick up your birds :taz:! Would not do it again, last time they threatened to shoot me.

Just remind them that you shoot back!! And have a few large size shells with which to do so....

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I am new to waterfowl hunting. I get that central NC is far from an ideal location. I see from other threads here and elsewhere that Tuckertown and Badin get covered up with hunters, especially for ducks. I was told by a buddy that I'd do better focusing on geese, especially on Tuckertown. Anybody have any helpful advice other than just "stay home"?

When it comes to waterfowling, everyone needs a tutor. Why can't you hunt with your buddy ?
If you are new to it, ducks on the wing can be hard to properly identify, sometimes. Geese, not so much.
If you wanna hunt geese, just go hunt. If you run into jerks, just be safe. If sonebody sets up on you, just ask if they want to hunt together. You might learn some things you didn't know. Being safe is the most important thing.

Adam1371

Button Buck
Hunting nut said it, just gotta get out there. Don’t be discouraged by getting skunked, it’s going to happen. A lot. There’s a lot of guys that won’t talk to you at the ramp, but there’s a lot of guys that will definitely help you out and let you join their group. That being said, it’s been a pretty dry year and most of the swamps are dry, so I’ve got all my ducks on big water. Jordan lake, belews, and some rivers. You really need to go with your buddy or someone though, it’s going to be a grind to learn solo. Good luck buddy, and feel free to message me, I live in central NC and will take you out.

Hunting nut said it, just gotta get out there. Don’t be discouraged by getting skunked, it’s going to happen. A lot. There’s a lot of guys that won’t talk to you at the ramp, but there’s a lot of guys that will definitely help you out and let you join their group. That being said, it’s been a pretty dry year and most of the swamps are dry, so I’ve got all my ducks on big water. Jordan lake, belews, and some rivers. You really need to go with your buddy or someone though, it’s going to be a grind to learn solo. Good luck buddy, and feel free to message me, I live in central NC and will take you out.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to give it a shot. I got to go duck hunting a few times about 20 years ago while living in Louisiana. I didn't go enough to get any feel for identifying ducks on the wing. I admit that is is one of the reasons I haven't tried learning on my own since (that and not living in a flyway anymore). Geese seem easier to identify, and the liberal bag limits make them interesting. I'd certainly have an interest in finding a mentor for waterfowl.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Pistolshooter 77 don't stay home, you should go hunting . I had never hunted waterfowl in my life until recently. Fellow forum members gave some sound advice on how to get starting.

I was lucky enough to take some ducks
on several outings.
Sure, I'll make some mistakes along the way, but hopefully will learn from them.
So get out there and hunt!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Look at it like this. If you get ducks to decoy, you can shoot the first time. It's after that, you gotta be able to identify the ducks.

minuteman

Spike
Forget about duck hunting in NC. The last alleged ducks (4 of them) reported here in NC came through in the fall of 1996. No one got a photo but the eyewitness report was deemed to be valid by the NCWRC, who sent 31 Game Wardens and Wildlife Biologists to verify it.
Legend has it that there might be some ghost ducks still hiding out at High Rock, but I've never personally seen them!