End Of A Muscle Car Era.....

CarolinaReaper

Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis announced that after the year 2023, Dodge will end all production of the Hellcat editions of all their cars. Citing the high taxes, penalties and fees that come along with producing such engines on a commercial level being too much of a financial stigma to continue making them. Dodge will replace the hellcat platform with its new EV muscle car. Concepts to be released in 2022, and it is set to start production in 2024. No direct news yet if this will effect scat-packs or R/T's. But I'm sure in time, those will be on the chopping block as well.

I for one am honestly heart broken. Not because of my love for dodge particularly, but for my love of muscle cars in general. They will seemingly soon enough be a thing of the past. Remembered fondly by those who actually were able to drive them. Yes Dodge, what a great idea from a marketing stand point. Let's replace the worlds most popular muscle car, the car that took Dodge to the top of the map with fast cars and ditch it, for a freaking electric car of all things. Your fan base bolstered the last 10 years of success based on LOVING muscle cars. Get woke, go broke IMO. šŸ¤¬šŸ˜¤šŸ¤® When I say I was sick reading that headline, it's an understatement. Reportedly Chevy is going to cease production of the Camaros by 2025. And on and on it will go, until we're all driving damn golf carts around. And yes you can say the EV cars may be faster, but that isn't the point of it IMO. We buy these cars to HEAR them, to feel them and lose yourself a little behind the wheel. How are you supposed to do that driving a weedeater??

It just will never be the same. It also means for any of us younger guys, who right now can't afford one, who want one, will have to buy an old one, with no new ones being built. And god knows after they cease production, prices will skyrocket. They will effectively be collectors items. Sad news my friends. Thanks to the government and the environmental agencies, it won't be long before we're all scooting around town in toasters.

Image concept of the EV muscle car with dodge reviving the classic Fratzog logo.
screen-shot-2021-07-08-at-8-28-58-am-1625751650.png

CarolinaReaper

Dodge released this new promotional video a few days back showcasing it's new lineup of "Jailbreak" editions of their vehicles. It's basically pick and play, you can fully customize any Charger or Challenger to your liking. It makes sense now. They are going to be throwing it all out the window until the clock runs out for them in 2023. What a disaster in terms of sales. Basically turning their back on the fan base that saved them.

I like how they end the video with that beast roaring to life.... how's that gonna work with a freakin EV?

CarolinaReaper

It's just sad and pitiful man. Long gone will be days of big roaring engines soon enough.

Can someone with more knowledge on the topic explain to me how going from gas/combustion engine to EV or hybrids is better? How does this save the environment? Are we not still burning fossil fuels to charge the damn batteries?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, in all honesty, as bad as they "reincarnated" the New Charger, they deserve to close shop. Other issues at play here, I'm sure. But they, IMO, did a major disservice to their true fans with that product. Challenger=ok, Charger=Turd. As said, that is my opinion others, I'm sure will disagree...
Oh, let me add. If it weren't for the power output, again in my opinion, sales would have tanked due to NOT being anything near a revival of the original vehicle as it was supposed to be...

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
What saved them was government bailouts,,,, they need to follow their master
Just remember this was the Canadian/Ontario government that bailed them out, this news now scares me
2500 give or take production workers plus the off shoot facilities

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We said the same thing in 70 when they announced they were cutting the compression waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in '72. And they were absolute dogs. But of course they soon figured out how to get around that.

Real gearheads will get around this, and of course the true muscle cars from before you were born will still be around.

CarolinaReaper

Well, in all honesty, as bad as they "reincarnated" the New Charger, they deserve to close shop. Other issues at play here, I'm sure. But they, IMO, did a major disservice to their true fans with that product. Challenger=ok, Charger=Turd. As said, that is my opinion others, I'm sure will disagree...
Oh, let me add. If it weren't for the power output, again in my opinion, sales would have tanked due to NOT being anything near a revival of the original vehicle as it was supposed to be...

36ch5x.gif

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Once they start to feel the pain , they will restart production. IF they even stop production to begin with.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
No offense here @CarolinaReaper but how many brand new cars have you purchased in your life?

I don't care to see the EV market take off any more than you do, but I'm sure Dodge pays a lot of money to develop their new models to be pleasing to the people that are actually purchasing new models. If you want to stop this change, spend the next few years buying brand new hellcats. Maybe you will drive up demand enough for them to keep producing them. But if you're not gonna buy the newest car on the lot, don't sit here and complain about what's on the lot.

CarolinaReaper

No offense here @CarolinaReaper but how many brand new cars have you purchased in your life?

I don't care to see the EV market take off any more than you do, but I'm sure Dodge pays a lot of money to develop their new models to be pleasing to the people that are actually purchasing new models. If you want to stop this change, spend the next few years buying brand new hellcats. Maybe you will drive up demand enough for them to keep producing them. But if you're not gonna buy the newest car on the lot, don't sit here and complain about what's on the lot.
A company that pride itself on being the ā€œBrotherhood of muscleā€ removing the muscle part is like a Ammo manufacturer only producing dummy rounds. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying. Itā€™s a slap in the face muscle car fans everywhere and entirely part of a bigger political agenda.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Their job is to sell vehicles. They have think tanks, focus groups, marketing strategists etc and pay large amounts of $ to all of them. They use that information to make announcements, make commercials etc.

It will always be about selling cars. Both the ones for sale right now, as well as getting people interested in what's coming out next year and beyond.

CarolinaReaper

Once they start to feel the pain , they will restart production. IF they even stop production to begin with.

A part of me hopes thatā€™s how it will be. I donā€™t think theyā€™re messing with the 392ā€™s right now. Which are plenty fast and loud, but the hellcat is just a beast.

CarolinaReaper

So far I'm gathering the R/T's and Scat Packs will stick around, at least for the next few years beyond the Hellcats death date.

CarolinaReaper

Gotta get my shtick together so I can afford one of these babies....
Scatpackton_392_Dodge_Charger_Scatpack_6.4L_Hemi_V8_KOW_Performance_1_1024x1024.jpg

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Yā€™all I got your next build waiting. 2008 Prius 180,000 ish and still sings. Classic muscle in the making. If you tune it out with everything available you might break into three digits. You know, 100hp. Itā€™s gonna go for sale soon. Be the first in your neighborhood to have true classic. Salvaged and needs a door and fender but otherwise with a few thousand put into it you could be ready to cruise the ā€œsceneā€ at Panera or if youā€™re ā€œin the knowā€ Whole Foods.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
As previously alluded to, this has happened before, and will happen again. But there will be a rebound in between, just like last time. It's a roller coaster man. When it peaks again, you'll be old enough to afford one, and by then it won't make the priority list.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
As previously alluded to, this has happened before, and will happen again. But there will be a rebound in between, just like last time. It's a roller coaster man. When it peaks again, you'll be old enough to afford one, and by then it won't make the priority list.
Dead nuts.