Central Carolina Crappie-Badin

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
come on out. Will be a good time. You can’t do much worse than me, some come out and have fun!

November 27, 2021

Badin Lake- Circle Drive Access

Central Carolina Crappie
Rules

Rod limit in use at one time will be 12, no more than two (2) individual baits per rod.

There will be Two (2) divisions from which you can choose to fish, Traditional and Open. The Open division as the name implies will allow any legal method that falls within our rules and guidelines. The traditional division will exclude any active form of forward facing live sonar, in simple terms you may have either the transducer still attached to the boat but no head unit capable of transmitting the signal or you may have a live sonar capable head unit but no live sonar transducer, either or but not both.

To qualify for the championship 3 of the 5 regular season tournaments must have been entered, you may choose not to fish

The backbone of the central carolina crappie trail will be those rules set forth by the NCWRC, any violation of these will result in disqualification.

You may switch divisions throughout the season, but the division that is fished the most will be the one you fish in the championship

Points, $50 entry. There will be a points race throughout the regular season, points will be accumulated in each regular season tournament, starting with 60. You will be allowed to have one mulligan, so out of 5 regular season tournaments we will count your best 4. Points will not carry from one division to the other. If a team splits and one member joins another member from another team the points used will reflect the lowest finishes of the two members.

$50 membership (this is to help with startup costs, next season it will be lowered, any extra monies not used in the purchase of plaques, scales, etc will be paid back to the anglers at the championship)

Entry fee is $100 per tournament either division, the championship will be $200, must be a member to enter.

Since these are family oriented events used to promote the sport there will be no tolerance for alcohol or use thereof by any member during any event.

To help promote conservation and preserve our lakes, all healthy fish will be returned to the lake from which they came immediately after being wieghed.

7 Fish limit brought to the scales, 8 will result in a dq, no dead fish will be wieghed, big fish may have a marker attached for identification and will be wieghed first, minus the marker. Any additional object used to add wieght to the fish when brought to the scales will also result in a dq.

Fishing times will be from 7am to 2pm, wieghin will begin at 2:30pm and line closes at 3pm.

Livewell check/boat inspection is from 5:30am to 6:15am all boats every tournament must be checked. Once your boat is checked you may put in at any other public ramp on the designated lake.

Off limits period (boat not in the water) for each regular season tournament will be from sunset the evening prior until you get your livewell checked the morning of.

There will be no cell phone, radio or any other communication that aids in your fishing from, to, or by anyone, there are no two boat teams.

Teams will consist of only two people unless the other is a youth.

Youth as defined by the central carolina crappie trail is from ages of 5-15.

For a team to qualify for the top finishing adult/youth team, it must consist of just one adult.

Monies will be payed out 1 for every 5 boats entered in that division, of the $100 entry fee, $80 will go directly to the 1-5 payout, $10 will go to big fish and $10 will be saved back to be payed back at the championship, every event will be a 100% payback and any extra monies from sponsorship or membership fees not used for tournament costs will be payed back. This is a non profit trail.

Championship will consist of two days, the lakes will be by random drawing from the 7 major central nc lakes, (wylie, jordan, harris, tillery, high rock, badin, and tuckertown), the drawing will be held on March 1st and will be posted, those lakes will be off limits from that time forward until your livewell is checked the morning of the tournament.

We have tried our best to cover most events that take place, but due to any unforseen events the tournament director along with advice and council will make the final call on anything not covered.

Our goal is to create a fun, fair fishing environment where everyone
feels they have the same opportunity.

Contact @gobbler for more info.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Pick which division you’re fishing. If you have live sonar, you fish live, if not, it’s your choice.

No more than 12 rods fished at once.

Stop fishing at 2:00.

It’s really that simple. If you don’t want to fish it, that’s fine, just say so, but there’s literally like two rules after you enter, that’s beyond NCWRC regulations and time frame of tourny 🙄

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pick which division you’re fishing. If you have live sonar, you fish live, if not, it’s your choice.

No more than 12 rods fished at once.

Stop fishing at 2:00.

It’s really that simple. If you don’t want to fish it, that’s fine, just say so, but there’s literally like two rules after you enter, that’s beyond NCWRC regulations and time frame of tourny 🙄

2 rules!!! dang that's complicated

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
It started off cold but we had 13 good teams show up to test their skills on Badin lake today. Everybody caught fish and looked like they had a great time. We have a great group of folks that fish with us and I look forward to seeing everyone again on Tillery Dec.18

Traditional division

1st Capp 9.76 $140
2nd Robertson/Robertson 8.67 $100
3rd Smith/Hardin 7.54 1.84 big fish $30 and accu-cull prize pack

Open division

1st Hawkins/Hawkins 10.98 $380
2nd Morrow/Sherrill 10.65 $240 and 1.90 big fish $100
3rd Stacey/Debiak 9.17. $180
4th Huneycutt/Burris 8.76 Accu-cull pk

Adult/Youth Mcghee/Mcghee. 8.24
Great time. Of course I couldn’t find any big fish like I had caught earlier in the week. Next one is on Tillery on Dec 17th. Unfortunately I’ll have to sit this one out.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting, so if you have LiveScope, etc, your fish average about 1.6 pounds a piece...Without about 1.4...Big fish, 1.90 vs 1.84...Not a whole lot of difference between those with and those without the latest technology...

I know this is a snap shot, like a balance sheet with a business...I would have thought there would be more of a difference....

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting, so if you have LiveScope, etc, your fish average about 1.6 pounds a piece...Without about 1.4...Big fish, 1.90 vs 1.84...Not a whole lot of difference between this with and those without the latest technology...

I know this is a snap shot, like a balance sheet with a business...I would have thought there would be more of a difference....
There usually is a bigger difference. Look at some of the weights from the national Or regional level tournies.

ACT went from like 16-17lbs on Grenada to over 21lb this year.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I'm not knocking this particular event or any really but just looking at the rules and divisions to decide how fish this tournament its amazing what fishing has become. Forward facing sonar,live scope and all the latest devices to increase catches where does all this become cutting your nose off to save your face. As fishermen become so efficient at catching fish the creel limits get reduced to protect populations to the point where people are spending thousands of dollars to catch an allotted few fish a day when in my lifetime can remember with less than $20 investment in gear you could walk the banks anytime of the year and catch more slab crappie than you wanted to haul home to clean. It seems like we are headed towards catching a few common sunfish is going to be like chartering a boat to the gulf stream for marlin

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not knocking this particular event or any really but just looking at the rules and divisions to decide how fish this tournament its amazing what fishing has become. Forward facing sonar,live scope and all the latest devices to increase catches where does all this become cutting your nose off to save your face. As fishermen become so efficient at catching fish the creel limits get reduced to protect populations to the point where people are spending thousands of dollars to catch an allotted few fish a day when in my lifetime can remember with less than $20 investment in gear you could walk the banks anytime of the year and catch more slab crappie than you wanted to haul home to clean. It seems like we are headed towards catching a few common sunfish is going to be like chartering a boat to the gulf stream for marlin

I’ve only had it a few months and now that I know I can catch a mess dang near any time I go, I don’t keep every legal fish I catch. I’m not the only one with this mindset either. There are a few keeping everything they catch, but to be honest, most guys are keeping a few here and there and throwing the rest back. A certain member on here told me he’s got a rule on his boat that anything over 1.25 goes back.

Ive caught probably 200+ since Veterans Day, and have kept 31. 5 of which were my choice, and 26 were my dad’s choice. I’m slowly working on him and reminding him he’s got plenty at home, and we’ve got to where we can pretty much go at will and get a mess.

it’s become the new bass thing in a lot of ways. CPR

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
This is under ONE dock. This school extended beyond the screen another 20-30ft. Stacked just like it shows on the screen. I caught maybe 15 of these fish. I had to work to get them to bite and only then, I was adjusting to how they reacted. Before I got livescope I’d have figure the whole dock had 20-30 fish. There were hundreds and hundreds of fish, if not thousands in this one school. One thing it’s shown me is there’s far more fish than we ever imagined, and just because they’re there, doesn’t mean they’re hungry.1722C5F9-63C4-4878-A979-489AB954BC0B.png

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't worry, there will be fresh water groups spring up that will be against it soon just like the salt bunch and commercial fishermen. It doesn't matter where you are there are people no matter what gear they have that couldn't catch a disease and they will be against everything.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
There are a lot more fishermen now that are concerned about conservation of the fish stocks than they used to be and I know a few that fish with me that will only keep a few to take home after as many have already been thrown back. The population especially in the NC Piedmont keeps going and going and the yadkin peedee lakes are hammered. To have fished these lakes in the 70s and 80s and now is seeing dramatic changes. White bass used to be so thick as to be a nuisance striper fishing and I remember acre size schools boiling the topwaters so dense they beat themselves on the bottom of the boat. Fishing tail waters of the dams the shad so thick they would push your line through the water fishing under the schools. But its happening to everything everywhere. To think there would be size,creel limits on crappie, shad even catfish back then would have been hard to understand. Even salt water fishing when I started fishing as a kid I was told to never throw blues back,leave then on the beach for the gulls. Times have changed

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Interesting, so if you have LiveScope, etc, your fish average about 1.6 pounds a piece...Without about 1.4...Big fish, 1.90 vs 1.84...Not a whole lot of difference between those with and those without the latest technology...

The difference won't be as noticeable on a brush pile pattern, you can still keep up with 'traditional' imaging.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
pigs will be pigs with or without electronic help.
Fish will survive.
Smart fishermen will catch the survivors.
The rest will bitch.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are a lot more fishermen now that are concerned about conservation of the fish stocks than they used to be and I know a few that fish with me that will only keep a few to take home after as many have already been thrown back. The population especially in the NC Piedmont keeps going and going and the yadkin peedee lakes are hammered. To have fished these lakes in the 70s and 80s and now is seeing dramatic changes. White bass used to be so thick as to be a nuisance striper fishing and I remember acre size schools boiling the topwaters so dense they beat themselves on the bottom of the boat. Fishing tail waters of the dams the shad so thick they would push your line through the water fishing under the schools. But its happening to everything everywhere. To think there would be size,creel limits on crappie, shad even catfish back then would have been hard to understand. Even salt water fishing when I started fishing as a kid I was told to never throw blues back,leave then on the beach for the gulls. Times have changed
Yeah, I can remember when you could fish all day long on lakes in the Yadkin chain and you would do good to get a limit of 10” fish. Yet you could catch hundreds of 6” ones.

When they started talking about removing the limits (size) to help the size of the fish there I was all for it. There were people here that jumped on me with gloom and doom predicted. But look at the fish coming out of there now.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
This is under ONE dock. This school extended beyond the screen another 20-30ft. Stacked just like it shows on the screen. I caught maybe 15 of these fish. I had to work to get them to bite and only then, I was adjusting to how they reacted. Before I got livescope I’d have figure the whole dock had 20-30 fish. There were hundreds and hundreds of fish, if not thousands in this one school. One thing it’s shown me is there’s far more fish than we ever imagined, and just because they’re there, doesn’t mean they’re hungry.View attachment 79889

Just curious as I have no idea what I am looking at but are the fish the big blob to the right side of the pic?