College Basketball 2021-2022

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Gonzaga #1 preseason
Everybody in the acc in the top 25
Of course the GOAT is ranked in the top ten. Sentimental choice I guess.
Anyone have a team in mind that deserves some hype?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Can yall say Banchero? :) Kentucky wasnt much of a problem. Wonder what the over under is on games he plays before an infamous duke foot injury?
We'll see what he' got on Black Friday. They play the zags then.
Hopefully the fix is in and they let the GOAT win em all this year.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Does ECU have a team this year?
Their best player (Gardner) is starting at UVA this year, actually led them in scoring last night even though the Hoos lost to Navy :rolleyes:

Can yall say Banchero? :) Kentucky wasnt much of a problem. Wonder what the over under is on games he plays before an infamous duke foot injury?
We'll see what he' got on Black Friday. They play the zags then.
Hopefully the fix is in and they let the GOAT win em all this year.
Banchero is legit and Keels looks like a player. Dook's defense looked pretty stout and kept forcing UK's guards in to bad shots. Areas of concern:
-3-point shooting 1/13
-rebounding. I know the big block from UK is a massive dude, but 12 offensive rebounds allowed to one guy? :oops:
-7 assist on 31 made shots

UNC actually looked pretty good. I watched their exhibition game Friday and last night's game for Hubie's first game as coach. I think they have solid pieces but in both games they got a sizable lead and took their foot off the gas, never really blowing the other team out of the game. Also the little guard RJ Davis is going to get picked on on defense a lot this year.

I also watched some of the Zag's game last night and if they played Dook tomorrow I would pick Zags. They run their system and trust coach. Holmgren doesn't force things and is one of those guys who impacts the game on so many different levels. First game in college stat line of 14pts, 13reb, 7blks, 6assist ...he is a Unicorn 🦄

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Best looking Duke team I’ve seen in a long time. But, only one game in and they’re still very young. So is Kentucky like always.

Got to watch the heels and I felt pretty good about them. Better than I expected. The only problem they have is very little athleticism. They’re gonna be one of those teams that just has to learn how to play well together and execute a very specific game plan because they are not going to blow anyone away with their physical ability alone. It’s not gonna be pretty at times.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best looking Duke team I’ve seen in a long time. But, only one game in and they’re still very young. So is Kentucky like always.

Got to watch the heels and I felt pretty good about them. Better than I expected. The only problem they have is very little athleticism. They’re gonna be one of those teams that just has to learn how to play well together and execute a very specific game plan because they are not going to blow anyone away with their physical ability alone. It’s not gonna be pretty at times.
You just made me think of something.......

What happened to that Luke kid from UNC? Did he get drafted?

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I haven't started watching basketball yet, but it looks like my Wolfpack have squeaked out a couple wins against the local high schools. Hard to get excited about basketball yet lol

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Duke is duke- barely beat Campbell. SOSDY- freshman inability to stay focused.
the zags may double them up.

It’s early and Duke along with Carolina often plays as well as their competition this early. Gonzaga looks really good though. They have gotten what could put them over the edge this year. Duke is going to be the most athletic team in the country I believe, just not the most experienced.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
It’s early and Duke along with Carolina often plays as well as their competition this early. Gonzaga looks really good though. They have gotten what could put them over the edge this year. Duke is going to be the most athletic team in the country I believe, just not the most experienced.

Duke n Gonzag play Friday after T-giving. Dont think Duke will match up very well with them this early in the season. Banchero is as good as advertised just looking at stat sheets and a few highlights.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Duke n Gonzag play Friday after T-giving. Dont think Duke will match up very well with them this early in the season. Banchero is as good as advertised just looking at stat sheets and a few highlights.
Duke will be lucky to keep it close. Few will be back from his DUI suspension by then.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

Yep I can’t wait for that matchup. Should be a fun early season game.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Hopefully Banchero will be allowed to play. A little trouble for him as he was caught with Coach K grandson and teammate, who was arrested for DWI. not sure how this will play out but a huge distraction for team and Coack K farewell tour!

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I was happy with Carolina tonight. I knew college of Charleston would be tough. They have a decent team and lead for much of the game. I was impressed with Carolinas response and the fact that we actually can score this year. May not beat Purdue on Saturday but I like how hubert has them looking after 3 games. Excited to see the progression as the season goes on.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
I was happy with Carolina tonight. I knew college of Charleston would be tough. They have a decent team and lead for much of the game. I was impressed with Carolinas response and the fact that we actually can score this year. May not beat Purdue on Saturday but I like how hubert has them looking after 3 games. Excited to see the progression as the season goes on.
My thoughts exactly. I came away impressed with HD last night. Down 6 at halftime and made some key adjustments in the locker room that led to the 11 point W (A couple missed layups and free throws they should've scored 100). CofC kept hedging hard against UNC pick and roll at the top in the 1st half, so HD immediately came out and established the pick and pop 3 for Manek. Once CofC started switching the screens instead of hedging, RJ and especially Love started going to town on CofC's big men. Almost every drive resulted in free throws or drop offs to Bacot and Manek. No one on CofC could help or run the risk of a Walton/Manek/RJ 3. LIke you said, only game 3 but if they can shore up the defense, and continue making better decisions game by game, I think this team can have a great season.

2 side notes
-UNC's 3rd game of the season and they have the cojones to go on the road to a mid major sell out crowd, of which 1/2 of their players have never experienced an atmosphere like that due to COVID...When was the last time Dook went on the road against a mid major? I am genuinely wondering
-3 games and Bacot is avg 18.0pts, 9rebs, on 82% shooting=BEAST MODE. I am excited to see how he does against the GIANT from the Boilermakers.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
My thoughts exactly. I came away impressed with HD last night. Down 6 at halftime and made some key adjustments in the locker room that led to the 11 point W (A couple missed layups and free throws they should've scored 100). CofC kept hedging hard against UNC pick and roll at the top in the 1st half, so HD immediately came out and established the pick and pop 3 for Manek. Once CofC started switching the screens instead of hedging, RJ and especially Love started going to town on CofC's big men. Almost every drive resulted in free throws or drop offs to Bacot and Manek. No one on CofC could help or run the risk of a Walton/Manek/RJ 3. LIke you said, only game 3 but if they can shore up the defense, and continue making better decisions game by game, I think this team can have a great season.

2 side notes
-UNC's 3rd game of the season and they have the cojones to go on the road to a mid major sell out crowd, of which 1/2 of their players have never experienced an atmosphere like that due to COVID...When was the last time Dook went on the road against a mid major? I am genuinely wondering
-3 games and Bacot is avg 18.0pts, 9rebs, on 82% shooting=BEAST MODE. I am excited to see how he does against the GIANT from the Boilermakers.

Has Duke ever played a non conference road game??? 😂😂😂

I too like the adjustments that hubert made against Charleston as well in the second half. That team last year or the year before would’ve folded when they were down like that. The defense definitely needs to be better. I like the fast pace, just don’t want to see them so frantic as they were in the first half. I am now a little excited about this time. Hubert will get his first real test Saturday and Sunday. If we can get up and down we might do really well.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Well look at the schedule and tell me who you like to beat unc. Maybe MSU that’s it
Well they have Purdue this Saturday, Nova/Tenn Sunday, Michigan 12/1, and UCLA 12/18. The good thing is Michigan is at the Dean Dome and the other 3 games will be neutral sites.

I believe UNC is fully capable of winning all 4 of those games and would be favored in every other matchup between now and February, but with the defense I have seen thus far would I bet on it? Heck No

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna be a longgggggggg year if Carolina doesn’t learn how to play defense. They look horrible so far today.
I missed the game but the "reviews" I see on other boards echo your thoughts. And they are killing individual player's "efforts."
Poor hubie didnt get much of a honeymoon. :)