4 commissioner slots remain unfilled

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I guess the politicians are having a hard time finding folks who want to be appointed to the WRC?

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
That statement right there just got you removed from the pool of candidates. Lol you were better off to say spot lighting deer is now legal or killing hawks.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I guess the politicians are having a hard time finding folks who want to be appointed to the WRC?

Appointments to various commissions are often delayed while the budget is being worked on. It happens often during the long session.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Former state senator John Alexander of Wake County has been nominated for the open seat appoint by the Senate leader

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Shame we don't elect those positions. Such a novel idea.

Because there are a lot of different Commissions in the state. Two reasons not to elect those positions. One is that all the names for every Commission won't fit on a ballot. Second is that most people don't care. How many people know anything about the candidates for the Soil and Water Conservation board?

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I am only referring to the Wildlife Resource commission. There are 9 districts. Only have the names on your ballot for your district. At large positions could be voted on different elections and would be state wide. Would not really add that many names. Maybe need to be some changes as to the number of commissioners but I would just like to see us elect them. If we have to elect the Soil and Water Conservation Board why not the Wildlife Commission? A lot of folks vote for a lot of candidates they don't know anything about. I remind myself of this every time I pull up to the gas station. LOL

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Other than the posters here, how many people care that much about the WRC? When there isn't a lot of interest in a position, then the position can be controlled by a group or groups of people. While you may get hunters to support a pro-hunting candidate, it is also possible for groups such as PETA, horse owners, bikers or hikers to get enough voters to vote for an anti-hunter candidate.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NOTICES OF COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS – Receive Notices of Appointments by Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger of John M. Alexander, Jr., Mark Craig, Landon G. Zimmer, and Thomas “Tom” Berry for terms ending June 30, 2023; and Appointments by House Speaker Tim Moore of Vernon Ray Clifton, Jr., John A. Stone, John T. Coley, IV, and Tommy Fonville for terms ending June 30, 2023 (EXHIBIT A)

RECEIVE STATE ETHICS COMMISSION REVIEWS OF 2021 STATEMENT OF ECONOMIC INTEREST FOR PROSPECTIVE COMMISSIONER JOHN M. ALEXANDER, JR. - Pursuant to NCGS §138A-15(c), any actual or potential conflict of interest by a public servant sitting on a board and cited by the Ethics Commission under NCGS 138A-24(e) is required to be read into the minutes of the applicable board. Read into the Minutes relevant portions of the evaluations by the N.C. Ethics Commission of the 2021 Statement of Economic Interest for John M. Alexander, Jr., President Pro Tempore Appointee – Margo Minkler

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Gov. Cooper has appointed the following individuals to the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission:

• Michael K. Alford of Jacksonville as the Second Wildlife District representative. Alford is the president of Marine Chevrolet Cadillac in Jacksonville. Alford represented North Carolina’s franchised new-car dealers on the board of directors of the National Automobile Dealers Association. Alford previously served on the North Carolina Board of Transportation.
  • J. Carlton Cole of Hertford as a member at-large. Judge Cole retired in 2021 after 12 years as Superior Court Judge in North Carolina’s First Judicial District. Prior to becoming a Superior Court Judge, Cole spent 17 years as a District Court Judge in the same district. Judge Cole’s work was honored by receipt of the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, the state’s highest civilian recognition, and Friend of the Court, the highest award given by the State Judicial Branch.
  • Thomas Mitchel Haislip, Jr. of Sanford as the Fifth Wildlife District representative. Haislip spent more than 20 years as the Secretary, Treasurer, and Estimator for Sanford Contractors Inc. in Sanford. Haislip has previously chaired the Lee County Parks and Recreation Commission and is a member of the Lee County Agriculture Advisory Board.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NOTICES OF COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS – Receive Notices of Appointments by Governor Roy Cooper of Hayden A. Rogers, At-Large (EXHIBIT A-1); and J. Carlton Cole, AtLarge (EXHIBIT A-2), for terms ending June 30, 2025; and Appointments of Michael K. Alford, District 2 (EXHIBIT A-3); Thomas M. Haislip, Jr., District 5 (EXHIBIT A-4); and David Hoyle, Jr., District 8 (EXHIBIT A-5); for terms ending June 30, 2027.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns